Author Topic: [Tutorial] Covarr's New FF7Music Tutorial  (Read 203199 times)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: [Tutorial] Covarr's New FF7Music Tutorial
« Reply #25 on: 2009-06-01 22:22:06 »
LoopBe doesn't produce sound. If you're hearing anything at all, it's not using LoopBe.

edit: This is just music, though. LoopBe shouldn't affect sfx.

edit: Try running FF7Config in Windows 98/ME compatibility mode, see if that fixes anything.
edit: should have mentioned, if you change the compatibility mode for FF7Config, you have to re-do the settings.
« Last Edit: 2009-06-02 03:33:32 by Covarr »

dyserga

« Reply #26 on: 2009-06-01 23:58:48 »
GOD DAMN that took a very long time but I finally figured it out. I hate Vista more than ever now.

I'll try and write a guide in case anyone has the same issues as me but I can't guarantee coherency. This is for Vista users who have done everything in Covarr's guide but still have two sets of music playing, the midi and the music you selected with FF7music. If you try to go into the game's config settings and lower the music volume, you also lose sound effect volume. Here is how to fix that.

1.) First, some house cleaning. This may not be a mandatory step. Go to your User directory. Right click inside somewhere, go to properties, and select show hidden files and folders. Next, go into your AppData folder (it will look like a ghost folder if you are able to show hidden files and folders). Find your VirtualStore folder somewhere in that director. I had to go through AppData > Local to find mine. Inside your Virtual Store folder, navigate to your Final Fantasy VII program folder as if you were navigating to it from your C:\ drive. Delete your SquareSoft, Inc or Final Fantasy VII folder (however you installed it, just get everything). If you were never able to find your Virtual Store folder or the Final Fantasy VII folder within it, great.
2.) Download Highwind. You can find that here: http://christian59.ch.funpic.de/html/highwind.htm
3.) Extract the contents of the Highwind download to a folder, doesn't really matter where. Desktop, user-created subfolder within FF7 directory, whatever. I would NOT recommend the root directory of FF7.
4.) Right click on Highwind.exe and go to Compatibility. Select Run As Administrator.
5.) Open Highwind.exe. Click on Open Archive and find midi.lgp by going to your FF7 directory then Data > Midi. Open it.
6.) Make sure Create Backup is checked.
7.) Click Remove until everything is, well, removed.
8.) Click Save Changes and close Highwind.
9.) On FF7 music, click Run FF7. Tada!

terminater27

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2009-06-02 01:02:39 »
:( The music doesn't play during the Aeriths death/jenova battle.
« Last Edit: 2009-06-02 02:07:01 by terminater27 »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2009-06-02 03:44:34 »
For Jenova battles, make sure that in FF7Music, chu2 is set to your J-E-N-O-V-A mp3, and make sure that your mp3y and plays in other media players. If the problem is with specific songs, then it's almost certainly one of those two possiblities.

I can't help you with Aerith's death, I don't know what song plays at this point.

dyserga, I'm going to link to your directions in my post. I'm using the Windows 7 RC, and I suspect that they made significant changes to Virtual Store, which is why I didn't have to do any of that to get it to work. I also can't imagine why it's not routing the original MIDI music through LoopBe like it's supposed to. LoopBe by itself is basically just a midi device with no instruments or sound output. If the MIDI is really going through LoopBe, you should not hear the original music. Also, I have a question. What other FF7 patches and fixes are you using? Additionally, do you have any other software that could affect MIDI output, especially softsynths such as TiMidity?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2009-06-02 06:29:46 »
has anyone got this working with vista x64 sp2?  Just need to know.,...

dyserga

« Reply #30 on: 2009-06-02 06:34:24 »
dyserga, I'm going to link to your directions in my post. I'm using the Windows 7 RC, and I suspect that they made significant changes to Virtual Store, which is why I didn't have to do any of that to get it to work. I also can't imagine why it's not routing the original MIDI music through LoopBe like it's supposed to. LoopBe by itself is basically just a midi device with no instruments or sound output. If the MIDI is really going through LoopBe, you should not hear the original music. Also, I have a question. What other FF7 patches and fixes are you using? Additionally, do you have any other software that could affect MIDI output, especially softsynths such as TiMidity?

I'm using 1.2, Chocobo patch, HD char polygons, and hi-res. True Motion Codec (no K-Lite) and Aali's (sp?) graphics driver if that is relevant. Only software I have that could affect midi's is the Creative software bundle for my sound card, which is a Sound Blaster X-Fi for notebooks. This is the first time I've ever had to really mess with midis on this computer.

I borrowed a lot of my solution from this thread http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8245.0 so kudos to a few users in that thread.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2009-06-02 22:26:47 »
I doubt that Creative's software could mess it up, and you don't seem to have any mods that might cause trouble. Hmm...

cloud1414

• Anthony Pierce
    • View Profile
    • The Legend Of Twilight
« Reply #32 on: 2009-06-03 03:27:11 »
I cant get it to work with xp. my other computer fried and that had vista so i got a new one with xp. can you help me get ff7music running on my computer thanks a bunvh :)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2009-06-03 03:53:17 »
cloud1414, you'll have to say exactly what the problem is. Old music still playing? No music? Also, screenshots of your settings would be helpful.

« Reply #35 on: 2009-06-03 04:16:16 »
I thought you had to set the input plug in to in_MP3

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2009-06-03 06:24:34 »
I'm assuming that you have the game installed to the default location? If so, the input and output plugins should be as follows:

C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\in_mad.dll
C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\out_wave.dll

BrokenCrowe, in_mad plays MP3s as well. I used it instead of in_mp3 because it has better compatibility (it works on FF7Music AND Vista x64).

cloud1414

• Anthony Pierce
    • View Profile
    • The Legend Of Twilight
« Reply #37 on: 2009-06-03 06:30:20 »
*Edit

I got it to work :D
« Last Edit: 2009-06-03 07:55:47 by cloud1414 »

terminater27

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2009-06-04 18:20:02 »
Music doesn't play during the chocobo races.
Which mp3 am I supposed to set for that?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2009-06-04 19:43:57 »
Fiddle de Chocobo

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2009-06-06 02:19:06 »
Ran through the steps again and seems it may have been to do with the fact I left the MP3 plugin in the same folder as the MAD   :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

Any case, the driver appears to not have installed properly last time either

All is well.,  Thanks Covarr.

musaru

• Fading Remnant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2009-06-06 02:21:20 »
I'm having an issue. Here's what i've done :

Installed FF7Music

Kept the settings the same. Except i changed the default midi device to the one i'm using.

I have all of the remastered soundtrack in my psf folder, where ff7music is told to look.

And yet.. My midis keep playing. Basically, the same problem that Cloud had. I'll get some SS's of my settings.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll89/Mufalmar/Files.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll89/Mufalmar/PlaybackOptions.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll89/Mufalmar/Setup.jpg

BTW : I JUST changed the folder where it's searching to the extended one that you see in the screenshot. The original "psf\" didn't work either.

« Reply #42 on: 2009-06-06 02:24:17 »
Use High Wind to open up the Midi in your data/midi i think it was.. and remove all the songs... It shouldn't take long.... for better instructions read the first post..i think its on there or it may have been another tutorial.. sorry if i am wrong....

But the High Wind thing does work. I had the same problem. Wait, you are using Vista right?

musaru

• Fading Remnant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2009-06-06 02:34:39 »
nope i'm using XP. But i suppose i'll try that anyways

EDIT : Do I need to put the .dll's in the ficedula folder or in the final fantasy VII folder where the ff7.exe is? I saw someone say this before..

« Reply #44 on: 2009-06-06 02:41:53 »
in fidecula's just in the fidecula's folder

musaru

• Fading Remnant
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2009-06-06 02:45:26 »
Still not working -.- >.<

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2009-06-06 04:57:37 »
FF7Music sometimes throws a fit when you put your music in a path with spaces in it. I would STRONGLY advise something more direct, such as C:\FF7PSF or something like that, rather than leaving them in your game's install directory.

As for the plugins, it doesn't really matter where they are as long as FF7Music can find them. I've seen it said that they need to be in the same directory as ff7.exe or that they need to be in the ficedula folder, but I'm pretty sure this is not the case.

musaru

• Fading Remnant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2009-06-06 05:27:05 »
EDIT : Fixed. apparently all i needed to do was redownload. Sorry D:
« Last Edit: 2009-06-06 05:33:52 by musaru »

cyr

« Reply #48 on: 2009-06-07 05:05:15 »
This thread, ABSOLUTELY saved my life; no joke. My room mate and I died when it finally worked, however; one error..

Since I have been using FF7Music, it seems to be ignoring my FF7Config. It is selected on fullscreen, but plays in quarter screen, and also ignored my Genova Character Edit. I used the edit, just to check to see if it was connecting with my save files, and it was not.

The music works now, but it seems to be ignoring the original config and save files. Hmmm. Has anyone encountered this?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2009-06-07 06:01:11 »
Check your FF7Config's compatibility mode. If that helps, tell me, and I'll update the tutorial.

Also, what OS are you running?