Author Topic: Simple .bin Request [updated]  (Read 2795 times)

auxili160

• View Profile
Simple .bin Request [updated]
« on: 2008-06-30 05:13:21 »
This thread may be locked. I'm getting the hand of the hex editor and managed to find pieces of inormation that made it possible to find where the weapons are stored and how they are organized.

I'm currently making a mod. Most enemies are level 99, and this brings up some major problems with certain ultimate weapons.

Update:
It has come to my attention that editing these variables may not be possible by using the kernel.bin. I don't want to make this job overly complex so I suppose an easier solution is called for.

Editing basic weapon stats -- such as materia slots, strength, accuracy, and so forth -- is a basic operation. Therefore, it will be easier to simply make every ultimate weapon weak as a chicken's leg (I'm talking about 1attack power, 1 attack accuracy, no materia slots, and so forth).

I know I know, nobody likes the idea of doing this, but listen to this: Make every OTHER weapon have the same stats as the ultimate weapons. Give them 100~attack power, eight linked slots, and so forth. All of Cid's weapons will have the same stats as the Venus Gospel, and all of Yuffie's weapons will have the same stats as the Conformer.

We lose some effects, such as Yuffie's morph-ability with the conformer and x3 damage effects when hp or mp is high, but, in return, we get an arsenal of weapons for each character, which I think is a great trade off.

Doing this should simply consist of basic weapon stat editing. If anyone is agreeing to do this, I'll create a list of stats for each character, which you can apply to each of their weapons.

It would be great if someone could make these changes, or point out to me where in the kernel.bin hex I can find the values that I need to change.
If someone is willing to make these changes, then I'll email you my current kernel.bin and you can make the changes. I'll be very grateful.

Thanks a bunch guys.

1)
Yuffie's ultimate weapon is overpowered. Since she'll usually be fighting level 99 enemies, she'll always be dealing twice as much damage as everyone else. I'd prefer for her to have an approximate 2.5x multiplier, since it is constant.

The current formula for her ultimate weapon is: Power Up = [Power * Enemy Level/16]
Changing the 16 into a 35 will fix this.

However, giving her an HP effect will be a more logical and better performing multiplier. Having a constant 2.5x power modifier is still unfair to Cloud, Cid, Red, Cait, Tifa, and so forth.
In this case, her formula would be a normal HP effect formula:
Power Up = [(3 * Power * Current HP) / Max HP] + 1
I think this would be better, knowing how my mod works.

2)
Due to the nature of my mod (I won't ramble on about it), Barret's weapon is very overpowered. It may be easy to make Barret's weapon do overflow damage, with it's 25x power modifier. Even if you don't get it to overflow damage, you can still easily get it to 6x-20x power, which is way too overpowered. This usually didn't matter in vanilla FFVII because you'd only be able to kill Ruby and Emerald weapon with overflow damage,but, in my mod, it's much more game breaking.

The formula for Barret's "Missing Score" is currently Power Up = [Power * [Total AP on Weapon / 10000] / 16] + 1
Changing the 16 into a 128 will fix this. This way, his weapon will be six times as powerful (assuming with all 500,000AP materia equipped rather than 25 times as powerful.

HOWEVER, this may be dodgy. In my mod, it will be easy for players to have a constant x6-20x modifier, which will still be overpowered. Because of this, it will just be better to give Barret an MP modifier like Cid and Nanaki (it is also suitable for Barret).
It would be:
Power Up = [(3 * Power * Current MP) / Max MP] + 1

3)
The current formula for Vincent's weapon "Death Penalty" is [Power * [Vincent's Kills / 128] / 16] + 10
This allows his weapon to become 32 times as powerful. There's no way to fix this properly, I don't think, because the player can likely just kill more enemies than they normally had to. I think it can always cause overflow damage, you'll just have to kill more enemies if we try to fix it. Also, if they can't manage to get it to overflow damage, they'll still get a very strong constant damage multiplier.
Therefore, it's a better idea to give him the HP effect instead like Cloud, Cait, and so forth (it is also suitable for Vincent).

Vincent's new ultimate weapon formula will be:
Power Up = [(3 * Power * Current HP) / Max HP] + 1

It would be great if someone could make these changes for me, or point out to me where in the kernel.bin hex I can find the values that I need to change.
I imagine these changes are simple and won't take long. It will just require copying and pasting power up effects (Using Cloud's weapon's HP effect for Yuffie and Vincent, and Cid's weapon's MP effect for Barret).

« Last Edit: 2008-07-03 06:51:02 by auxili160 »

auxili160

• View Profile
Re: -.bin Request-
« Reply #1 on: 2008-06-30 18:28:06 »
Also, it'd be a good idea to make each weapon for each character similar to their ultimate weapon, so you can pick and choose the look you like best. ;)
I was thinking of making each weapon different, but that wouldn't work since there will still be a best weapon, and you'll have all the weapons from the start anyways.

However, fixing these 3 ultimate weapons are more important for now.
« Last Edit: 2008-07-01 07:04:52 by auxili160 »

auxili160

• View Profile
Re: -.bin Request-
« Reply #2 on: 2008-07-01 07:01:17 »
Update:
It has come to my attention that editing these variables may not be possible by using the kernel.bin. I don't want to make this job overly complex so I suppose an easier solution is called for.

Editing basic weapon stats -- such as materia slots, strength, accuracy, and so forth -- is a basic operation. Therefore, it will be easier to simply make every ultimate weapon weak as a chicken's leg (I'm talking about 1attack power, 1 attack accuracy, no materia slots, and so forth).

I know I know, nobody likes the idea of doing this, but listen to this: Make every OTHER weapon have the same stats as the ultimate weapons. Give them 100~attack power, eight linked slots, and so forth. All of Cid's weapons will have the same stats as the Venus Gospel, and all of Yuffie's weapons will have the same stats as the Conformer.

We lose some effects, such as Yuffie's morph-ability with the conformer and x3 damage effects when hp or mp is high, but, in return, we get an arsenal of weapons for each character, which I think is a great trade off.
Doing this should simply consist of basic weapon stat editing. If anyone is agreeing to do this, I'll create a list of stats for each character, which you can apply to each of their weapons.
« Last Edit: 2008-07-03 06:51:23 by auxili160 »