Author Topic: Final Fantasy VIII argh-ness  (Read 4502 times)

vyenpakakapakathebakabaka

Final Fantasy VIII argh-ness
« on: 2005-06-23 19:07:28 »
T___T Okay, gang, here's my situation.

I made an ISO of my FF8 discs, because my laptop's CD drive has always been iffy with reading over long periods of time. (FF8 PC Version...apparently there 1.9billion PC versions of this version of the game...>.> i dunno which i have ><!)

The game plays great and extermely fast, but there's a slight problem: with the opening intro movie, i had to go into quarter-screen, low-res movies or the game would crash.  That wasn't too bad.

Now the game crashes at the video directly after leaving dollet and excaping from Ex-ATMrandomnumbers, regardless of how i set it up.

I see three solutions to the issue:

1) I find a way to skip the FMVs.  on PS1, you just pop open the disc.  running from isos, that requires screen-switching, of course, which could be an issue. (>< Everything is an issue when you're running XP T_T)
2) I find a save file directly after the video, and modify that save file to match  my stats now.  I really wanna beat the game without cheating and using trainers this time >P
3) I send one of you my save file, then you get me past it on your copy.

If anyone has any ideas or can offer their time getting me past the FMV< please let me know. ^^

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2005-06-23 19:32:57 »
Tried making a dummy AVI file or whatever to putin its place?

it will run that, and then carry on.

vyenpakakapakathebakabaka

« Reply #2 on: 2005-06-23 19:44:23 »
I thought about that, but I don't know how to go about it.  Aren't all the videos stored in...I don't know the precise extension, but its tied up in some funky-extension-dat-files?

Woudl Qhimm's FMV viewer allow me to do this?

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #3 on: 2005-06-23 20:00:50 »
FF8 doesn't have AVIs, it has one huge file that has all of the movies stored in it.  AFAIK, there's no way to replace one of them.  As for your proposed solutions...

1) I may have read that one of the funciton keys (F1-F12) can be used to skip FMVs in FF8, but I really don't remember and have never actually tried.  Still, you could try it, and if it's true, let me know. :-P
I usually recommend that people switch to low-res movies (and that often works, because there is a low res and high res copy of each movie on the CD, and usually they aren't both damaged).

Did you make the ISO you are using on your laptop's "iffy" CD drive?  If possible, you may try to make the ISO somewhere else and transfer it to your laptop (that is, if you have another computer available and a network or something) -- if you think it's possible that the movie on the CD is actually good, and just got messed up when you made the image.

Other than that, 3) is a good solution.  If you upload your save file somewher and post a link here, someone should be able to play through and e-mail the new save to you.

Nori

• View Profile
Moved
« Reply #4 on: 2005-06-23 21:10:19 »
Moved: To Game tweaking

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
« Reply #5 on: 2005-06-23 21:37:10 »
I think Aaron's thinking of epsxe... as far as skipping movies with the function keys. But I'm probably wrong.... I do remember a Function key allowing you to get past Chrono Cross, but I think they fixed that since then.

And vyen....... why did you make your user name so long.
Thanx to you, every thread that you post to is going to be jacked up.

The only thing that would be relatively easy to do is for someone to play thru for you.... but since you made your username so long..... I feel you should be punished for that.... so find someone else.

Heh...besides I don't think my FF8PC works, anymore.
I suggest buying a PSone or a PStwo. If you like these type of games...that's what you'll need, anyway. PC is seriously lacking when it comes to J-RPG's and the ports, pretty much all sux.

Starlith

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VIII argh-ness
« Reply #6 on: 2005-06-24 05:04:09 »
Quote from: vyenpakakapakathebakabaka

The game plays great and extermely fast, but there's a slight problem: with the opening intro movie, i had to go into quarter-screen, low-res movies or the game would crash.  That wasn't too bad.

To stop the intro from crashing at high-res or to skip it from playing just delete the publish.PAK file in your FF8 directory. As for the other movie freezing just try it in high res then go to lower res. There's not much else I can help you with because my movies are also doing the same thing too.