Author Topic: Frame rate?  (Read 4338 times)

Napper

• View Profile
Frame rate?
« on: 2005-09-28 16:40:38 »
My final fantasy vii seems to be having some problems with frame rate.It experiences a minor jump in gameplay every 2 secs while i play the game in both software mode and hardware mode(using geforce FX5200) using 2x2AA(using rivatuner and enabling 8-bit textures).I recently installed it see,around 6 months earlier this did not happen at all.If someone has any idea just tell me please and ill give it a go.Im no noob to this whole final fantasy vii on PC fiasco,so i have tried all the obvious solutions.Thanks again.....

Mod Edit: Moved to game tweaking

djzerious

• View Profile
    • http://www.gzanime.net
Frame rate?
« Reply #1 on: 2005-09-28 20:34:23 »
So, you have 8-bit textures enabled and you AREN'T getting gridlines...?

Either way though, I have a FX 5200 as well, and the highest AA I got to work without jumping is 4x. But, I didn't notice much of a difference between things, so I just left it so that the application decides what to use..

Try doing that.. should work.

Napper

• View Profile
Frame rate?
« Reply #2 on: 2005-09-28 21:41:32 »
NO it does'nt jump due to lack of power.Because i have more than enough to run this game(512mb ram and 2.4Gz).It seems to jump slighly for some reason i am unaware of! Has this ever happened to anyone else.I now mean slight jumping but it does it so often you know its happening.Its annoying cause animations will jerk and the text wont come up at one speed.

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
Frame rate?
« Reply #3 on: 2005-09-28 21:55:04 »
o_O who said anything about power?

Napper

• View Profile
Frame rate?
« Reply #4 on: 2005-09-29 00:02:01 »
Because djzerious said it works for him on 4x. But im trying to say that either way i set it up.Using direct 3d or just using software it jumps exactly the same way.I would notice it if it had to do with my anitialising.

-gone away-

• View Profile
Frame rate?
« Reply #5 on: 2005-09-29 04:59:20 »
every time one of my games starts to jump like your saying its because the harddrives about to crash. you might also wanna check your connections in your computer or check whether your rams faulty.

djzerious

• View Profile
    • http://www.gzanime.net
Frame rate?
« Reply #6 on: 2005-09-29 18:34:00 »
Quote from: Napper
Because djzerious said it works for him on 4x. But im trying to say that either way i set it up.Using direct 3d or just using software it jumps exactly the same way.I would notice it if it had to do with my anitialising.
Are you sure about that? Cuz, my game (using Direct3D, with AA set to "determined by application" doesn't jump. Nor does it jump when it is set to D3D, 4x AA. But at D3D 2x2AA and 8x AA, it jumps.

And, furthermore:
I said that I have the same exact card as you.. I said nothing about power. And I said that MY game is jumpy when I have AA set to anything higher than 4x (and being as how you have the same video card as me, I would think that the issue would be the same..), all I said was that you should try it on 4x AA or leave the AA alone, and it won't jump.

And just because you have a powerful machine, that doesn't mean that you can run any game. Power doesn't always equal quality. And by having that video card, even with your 2.x Ghz cpu, you aren't going to be able to run every game.

Just for the sake of asking for and getting advice, just try what I said. Try leaving the AA alone.. leave it at the "determined by application" setting, and see if that doesn't fix the problem you are talking about. Then if you want, work your way up from there, to a setting that doesn't jump.

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
Frame rate?
« Reply #7 on: 2005-09-29 21:23:01 »
I'm not sure you're actually using Direct3d. I haven't played around with the drivers or anything. but usually when they are disabled, it's because they are broken. It's also very likely that Rivatuner isn't turn it on..

But I guess if the 8bit pallet says PASS in the FF7config Test... then it's turning it on. But still that poses another problem.... the Direct3d pulldown menu doesn't activate with the default FF7config from the game. It only comes out with the TNT version. And last time I checked It would only become available after you selected the Nvidia option (on newer cards, anyway). And I know for a fact that if you Select the Nvidia option with the 8 bit pallet on...the game will not run.

So...you lost me.

As for pauses in the game..... I've seen it once or twice, in the past. But after a fresh reinstall windows... (A fresh install, not a repair...and not an install where your Windows directory is not erased from the Harddrive. It needs to be fresh....) The pauses went away. It's some kind of Software conflict that Windows picked up from somwhere most likely. But I didn't reinstall windows for FF7. I had done it for something else more serious. And unlucky for me... my Harddrive crashed 2 months later...so I got to do it again. Oh joy.

Oh and the reason why I Freshly reinstalled Windows? I had a wierd virus that would block all pictures from rendering in my browser. Not all pictures but most of them would show up as that picture X icon. I couldn't trace it or get anything to fix it... So, I reinstalled. I didn't reinstall it for FF7. For all I know the virus is what was causing FF7 to pause.

Starlith

• View Profile
Frame rate?
« Reply #8 on: 2005-09-30 03:30:14 »
If your speaking of framerate jumps the only thing I can think of correcting it is to Enable VSync somehow. I have an ATI so I wouldn't really know but I would try VSync first if I were you cause it might be the simple things that count. :wink:

Napper

• View Profile
Frame rate?
« Reply #9 on: 2005-09-30 17:18:53 »
Thx everyone i fixed it!

I wondering has anyone got ficedula's music patch to work.I cant get my mp3 to play.