Miscellaneous Forums > Misc Audio

FF1 Fan Remake/Orchestration [In development]

<< < (2/2)

monsieur_madeleine:
You make a good point, Ragna, that I had never considered before. If it's easier to do a music mod on the PSP, I'm totally willing to give that a try.

However, I'd still rather use the PS1 if at all possible, because there's a huge, glaring issue with the PSP version: all the gameplay changes. This includes new items (e.g. Phoenix Downs), accelerated leveling, different magic system, and auto-targeting (not a bug-fix!), all of which make it a very different, easier, slightly crappier game.
(Not to mention some non-critical stuff that I don't personally like, e.g. running through towns and the added dungeons.)

The other reason is that if I was hoping to do any graphical changes, I felt it would be easier to do it with the lower-res sprites in the PS1. That's if it can even be done in the first place, though, so it's also not critical.
Actually I've been thinking of commissioning a non-pixel-art artist to draw the sprites more in Amano's original style, and maybe this is easier on the higher-res PSP after all??? So geez I don't know.

Anyway I figured the PS1 could be tricked into reading the music like on-disc CD audio (called "red light" or "yellow light"? I can't remember), so that's why I thought it would be possible at all. How do they do this kind of thing with the FF7 mods?

Edit: Didn't want to double-post. Here's a playlist of everything I have thus far. All info in notes is current:
https://soundcloud.com/combe-sound/sets/final-fantasy-1-re-orchestrated-phase-ii

GuyInDogSuit:
Honestly? I loved the rearranged themes from FF Origins. And I think they added in some music that wasn't present in the original Famicom/NES release. I don't remember there being any boss battle themes to begin with.
But these are great. I love your mini-boss theme. It gives the impression that a full orchestra is performing the song. The flute is a nice touch. The Fiend Battle theme is damn good too, I can hear some of the Marsh Dungeon theme in it as well. The Sunken Shrine theme is beautiful beyond measure. And the Chaos Temple, damn! It actually brought tears to my eyes. It's one of my favorite tracks from Origins and you did it justice.

You're right, the PSP version kind of went overboard with the easy mode. I understand that they were trying to make it more accessible to fans who are more familiar with the later games, but wasn't there options to turn off things like Phoenix Downs and Gold Needles? It's one thing to add in the ability to dash, but to level up to 99? I did it just for the hell of it though I found it weird that in the PS1 Origins release you had to complete Normal mode first. But I agree, the PSP version is the definitive version, and I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to hack a "hard mode" for it. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't already one. Definitely worth looking into. The old diehards like you and I might appreciate something like this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version