Final Fantasy 9 > FF9 Graphical Releases

[FF9PC] Background upscaling mod

<< < (2/18) > >>

Ze_PilOt:
Exemple of layer recombination, I'm able to output animated GIF :)

When this project is done, I will enhance the scripts to automate GIF creation of all the background, it's so nice !

Fraggoso:

--- Quote from: Ze_PilOt on 2019-01-09 08:22:32 ---Nice ! I've come across your mod searching if it was possible to re-inject the background into the game, seing your mod was a deciding factor :)

--- End quote ---

Great to hear! :D

I need more informations than that in order to generate images that will be handled properly by the GAN. It was trained with full images, and doesn't cope well with uncomplete layers & transparencies (ie. a door on a black background, it will try to find pattern between the black & the door that are not suitable for the final result).

--- Quote ---In order to do that, I don't only need the animation layers, I also need to know that a layer (in the tiff file) IS an animation layer (vs. static background), or if the layer has parralax, and if so, what is the depth of that layer.
For lighting effects and other stuff, I also need to know if a layer a different blending mode.
--- End quote ---

That is already handled by Hades Workshop.
Or do you mean you wanted to automate a script to look over all layers instead of going hand by hand to decide if that#s an animation or transparency?
As I did it before hand by hand, I'm really fast on doing that on my own but if your scroipt works without issues, that's great!

--- Quote ---I would not like to duplicate works here.
I don't know if you do that manually or not, but I wrote scripts that does that automatically (by reading the script field id from both versions in order to match them properly), and that the correct layer from both versions (as your said : blending layers from steam, real background from the PSX version).
--- End quote ---

Is this really working? if yes, I wished I had this beforehand! xD

--- Quote ---It's a classic layering issue. The main problem is that both version doesn't handle semi-transparent images, so the edges of each layer are sharp, instead of having some semi-transparent pixels in order to blend over.
--- End quote ---

The Steamrelease use half transperancy on some. For example when Zidane and garnet flees from Steiner in the meeting room, the hatch under the table uses haölf transparency. Or the shield/sign that get knocked off in Alexandria.
I tried to replicate it but Tirlititi inserted only opaque as it gave us problems with seams.
I asked him to do another test with HW as I maybe know why that happened beforehand.

--- Quote ---I'm still unsure if I will use the PSX layers with a neighbooring algorythm, or something similar to what you did, but from early testing, both solutions seems workable.
--- End quote ---
As long as you've one pixel over that should work. I decided against PSX masks as they're blocky as hell and it didn't really looked good with higher res Backgrounds. :/

--- Quote ---ie .this kind of artefacts on the edge of the wood :

It's not due to the masking.
I've the same issue in photoshop is a perfect mask that I couldn't in-engine, but that I use for ground truth when testing.
It's due to the fact that the wood is interpolated near black pixels.
I've tried to extend the pixel borders to avoid that : I can reduce or increase the artifact effect depending of how it's done, but I'm only manage to get a perfect result when it's interpolated with a recombined image.
--- End quote ---

As long as you've one pixel more than the PSX masks, that will be completly gone, trust me. That's why i opted for Lanzos upres with 400% and going over some of my scripts to get rid of the half transparency.

If you need more information, let me know. :)

Can you post a comparison between your GAN and manga 109?

Ze_PilOt:

--- Quote from: Fraggoso on 2019-01-10 11:37:15 ---That is already handled by Hades Workshop.

--- End quote ---

Yes, but I need these informations outside Hades Workshop.

--- Quote from: Fraggoso on 2019-01-10 11:37:15 ---Or do you mean you wanted to automate a script to look over all layers instead of going hand by hand to decide if that#s an animation or transparency?
As I did it before hand by hand, I'm really fast on doing that on my own but if your scroipt works without issues, that's great!

--- End quote ---

Yes, it's all automated. Even it could be fast to do manually, there are like 800 backgrounds + all the animations, I don't want to spend a week doing what a script can do in 15 min :)

--- Quote from: Fraggoso on 2019-01-10 11:37:15 ---Is this really working? if yes, I wished I had this beforehand! xD

--- End quote ---

It's really working. The git repository will come soonish.

--- Quote from: Fraggoso on 2019-01-10 11:37:15 ---The Steamrelease use half transperancy on some. For example when Zidane and garnet flees from Steiner in the meeting room, the hatch under the table uses haölf transparency. Or the shield/sign that get knocked off in Alexandria.
I tried to replicate it but Tirlititi inserted only opaque as it gave us problems with seams.
I asked him to do another test with HW as I maybe know why that happened beforehand.

--- End quote ---

Interesting !

Could you give me the field_id of that scene so I can check that myself ?

--- Quote from: Fraggoso on 2019-01-10 11:37:15 ---Can you post a comparison between your GAN and manga 109?

--- End quote ---

I will post a first version of the mod around the end of week.

Ze_PilOt:
Here is an exemple with manga109 :

And the FF9-trained network :

Less noise, more details, and it also fix some errors due to the fact that the training set of manga109 doesn't match the kind of pattern we have in FF9

These details are twisted in manga109 :

Comparaison with the PC & PSX  background :

I think the fidelity to the PSX version is a bit better than manga109, while generated as much details as possible.

Ze_PilOt:
I can already give you a list of image correspondance between PSX & PC (assuming that every CD was extracted in its own folder).

This is before layer extraction (as the layer extraction scripts are mixing PC & PSX layers, the match doesn't matter anymore)

It's a Json file, you can easily manipulate it and switch the path to your own.

https://pastebin.com/TKPs8KhQ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version