Author Topic: would anyone like to have a chocobo race?  (Read 9452 times)

battlemage210

• View Profile
would anyone like to have a chocobo race?
« on: 2010-09-01 23:51:07 »
I was brainstorming last night.. as i do... and had a thought:

What if (huge if) there was a multi-player Final Fantasy game, that was JUST for capturing, breeding, training and hence forth racing chocobos around the world. I post this idea openly because i have no idea how to make it happen, or even get the idea to the right people who could possibly put it into works. Thinking about it last night, i had an image of two people playing Head-to-Head in a chocobo race around a world map trail featured on the western continent on which Wutai is located in Final Fantasy VII.

Starting out as a rookie chocobo hunter, one could capture chocobos from different locations of a world map, then take them back to the ole farm and feed, breed, train and take care of their "pets". After feeling confident in their birds capabilities they could enter into multi-player races ranging from a circuit around Midgar, to a full blown rally around the continent.

If anyone knows of something similar to this already being available or in the works, information about it would be much appreciated. Anyone who knows a game designer, or a forum in which to deliver my ideas and talk them out with someone capable of putting this into a possible project are most welcome to comment.
« Last Edit: 2010-09-01 23:54:48 by battlemage210 »

Moogie

• View Profile
Re: would anyone like to have a chocobo race?
« Reply #1 on: 2010-09-04 17:35:10 »
Sounds similar to an old PSX game called Chocobo Stallion. Was never released outside of Japan, but it had the whole farm management, chocobo breeding, feeding & racing aspects to it. It was singleplayer only though, obviously.

I spent a while translating the menus, stats etc for myself. Once you know vaguely what you're doing, it's actually quite a fun little game. :)

Video: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTU0MjY2MzU2.html

battlemage210

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-09-04 17:50:23 »
cool! thanks for the info on it, suppose the chocobo racing was similar to the chocobo racing in ff7? not like a race would be on the world map though?

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-09-04 19:04:16 »
That sounds like fun. I'd play it.
There's a horse racing game like that at the Dave & Busters chain. I like going head to head against other people in that. I'd def like it more if it was chocobos, and I could spend more time leveling them up and getting them better equipment.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-09-04 19:07:44 »
Your idea sounds not too dissimilar to an MMO Monster Rancher, except with racing instead of battling. This is a good thing.

Moogie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-09-05 17:09:03 »
cool! thanks for the info on it, suppose the chocobo racing was similar to the chocobo racing in ff7? not like a race would be on the world map though?

Yeah, you can't directly control them if that's what you mean. They stuck very true to the original gameplay elements. There are several different tracks and they each have short/long versions like in FF7. They race, get ranked, you earn money from placing bets, and you're allowed to place bets even if you haven't entered your own bird into the race (again, like in FF7).

I'm tempted to dig it out again at some point and try hex-editing a basic translation or something. I just used post-it notes last time. xP

battlemage210

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-09-09 02:11:09 »
heh heh post its.. i would be very grateful if you did do a translate for it and hook me up. i would love to see this game. if i knew another language that would be how id be putting it to use. ill see if i can find more info on the game on the interwebs.

in other "news", ive been thinking alot about the game i envision, and am trying to come up with a world map that suits... i like alot of the mountain features of the early final fantasy saga, like mountain paths that are riddled with dead ends and pathways that lead to new areas and otherwise un-accessible locations.

just curious of all the people around here, what are some of your favorite world maps and or map features?
« Last Edit: 2010-09-10 00:53:36 by battlemage210 »

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 2010-09-10 15:54:55 »
heh heh post its.. i would be very grateful if you did do a translate for it and hook me up. i would love to see this game. if i knew another language that would be how id be putting it to use. ill see if i can find more info on the game on the interwebs.

in other "news", ive been thinking alot about the game i envision, and am trying to come up with a world map that suits... i like alot of the mountain features of the early final fantasy saga, like mountain paths that are riddled with dead ends and pathways that lead to new areas and otherwise un-accessible locations.

just curious of all the people around here, what are some of your favorite world maps and or map features?

Personally, I liked the first FF6 worldmap and the Lufia 2 worldmap a lot. especially Lufia 2. On the other hand, a very nice worldmap is Terranigma, even though is basically a carbon copy of 'earth'.
I however doubt that there will ever be a MMO like this. The market for such a thing is much too small and the mechanics would be atrocious to code.

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-09-10 21:07:48 »
In the imaginary world where this game is made, I hope the swag is customizable like in SSX. I loved buying new snowboard gear and clothes.

battlemage210

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-09-11 05:15:33 »
In the imaginary world where this game is made, I hope the swag is customizable like in SSX. I loved buying new snowboard gear and clothes.

For the love of.... I'm going to have to start issuing warnings to people quoting images... starting with whoever is next

and with your drawing up choco-gear your officially welcomed aboard the imaginary world train where you can help develop items/gear. heh heh.

i love your drawing there. any more? do you have a portfolio?
« Last Edit: 2010-09-11 05:16:43 by athleticbear »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-09-11 05:18:07 »
Seriously, everyone, quit quoting images.   People can easily click your quote to see what post you're talking about.   Just... just please

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-09-11 23:17:42 »
Seriously, that's a small-ass thumbnail. I could see a problem if people were quoting in the wallpaper thread, but this is nothing.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-09-11 23:24:02 »
Seriously, rules can be broken as long as it's only trolling a little, or maybe a small triple post.   Really that whole rules page is only a suggestion..

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-09-12 02:26:58 »
i love your drawing there. any more? do you have a portfolio?

Thanks. But I actually just traced it from a jpeg. Which makes it severely less cool than you thought.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010-09-12 10:57:41 »
Seriously, rules can be broken as long as it's only trolling a little, or maybe a small triple post.   Really that whole rules page is only a suggestion..

There can be legitimate reasons for quoting images, however. Imagine a situation where there are lots of images in a thread and someone has a comment relating to one of them. In such a situation, quoting an image or a thumbnail thereof would be the most sensible thing to do.

battlemage210

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010-09-14 01:31:37 »
sorry bout that... when i quoted the image did not appear in the "quote" on my post.. so i had no idea. i should have realized it was still there though. sorry again.

anyway, as for tracing.. lol i couldnt trace that well, not to mention adding the little bits of gear. i still think impressive.
« Last Edit: 2010-09-14 01:33:49 by battlemage210 »