Author Topic: FF7 ATB: Recommended setting  (Read 5647 times)

Vanit

• View Profile
    • http://vanitstudios.burn.at
FF7 ATB: Recommended setting
« on: 2011-04-17 05:24:42 »
Basically I'm working on a 2D FF7 remake that uses all the documented algorithms of the actual FF7 engine. Here's a recent example of what I've made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPtHnwIwHks

I've reached the point where I'm implementing the Recommended and Wait settings for the ATB (until now I've just tested it as Active), and I'm having some trouble defining exactly what the behaviour of the recommended setting is. According to the definition in my FF7 manual it is:

For moderately skilled players. Time stops while the screen effects are displayed when using Magic and Items.

Quick observation will show that this isn't quite how it behaves and that there are MANY exceptions to what does induce a Wait state. Can anyone shed some light on this? If there's some rule saying how long a screen effect must be until it makes the player wait? Or if its based on the formulas the abilities use or something?

BloodShot

• View Profile
Re: FF7 ATB: Recommended setting
« Reply #1 on: 2011-04-17 15:15:21 »
From what I can recall it seemed like the recommended setting caused the bar to stop during long animations, such as limit breaks and magic - it would stop about a half of a second after the magic/limit was used, and end about a half second after the damage was displayed.

For attacks, it stops the ATB gauge as soon as the damage is displayed for about a half second, then resumes. If they die, it stops it until they fade away.

It also seems Wait works the same way, i think recommended just sets it to wait technically. I think each skill and spells have their own specific wait period that the game calls when they are cast.

Cool video btw.

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
Re: FF7 ATB: Recommended setting
« Reply #2 on: 2011-04-17 17:45:14 »
o.o holy crap, i am seriousely interested in this, looks great if you can finish it