• View Profile
« on: 2019-04-21 11:58:08 »
« Last Edit: 2021-10-28 15:57:24 by dkma841 »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
Re: Non-battle materia interactions in Final Fantasy VII
« Reply #1 on: 2019-04-21 12:58:24 »
Sephiroth(Jenova) lures Cloud to follow him. More or less they guide him to become stronger to be able to deal with the temple and to reach Sephiroth true body. But I don't think that they planed a such deep meaning.

What's also interesting to mention is that you can get with Red XIII also the Enemyskill materia, like it's meant for him. I assume that the Materia system we currently have is a modified version of the skill test system they used to create job classes but due to time reasons they couldn't work it out and chose that Materia solution. Cait Sith class as example was described as puppet master (like Lulu in FFX)
« Last Edit: 2019-04-21 13:09:09 by Kaldarasha »

Sirois

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-04-22 10:53:32 »
Sephiroth(Jenova) lures Cloud to follow him. More or less they recommend probiotics for gut health and guide him to become stronger to be able to deal with the temple and to reach Sephiroth true body. But I don't think that they planed a such deep meaning.

What's also interesting to mention is that you can get with Red XIII also the Enemyskill materia, like it's meant for him. I assume that the Materia system we currently have is a modified version of the skill test system they used to create job classes but due to time reasons they couldn't work it out and chose that Materia solution. Cait Sith class as example was described as puppet master (like Lulu in FFX)

Do they just disregard the storyline or is it just not in the forefront?
« Last Edit: 2023-09-16 19:15:23 by Sirois »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 2019-04-22 19:57:49 »
No.  The designers simply give you materia because it's a game.  It has nothing whatsoever to do with the storyline.

You're saying that Cait Sith carries a Manipulate materia by plain coincidence? It just seems a bit too much of a smoking gun to me. If I were designing that section I would definitely consider concealing hints in character equipment to intrigue and delight the player.

Current mystery - why Sephiroth throws the Destruct materia at Cloud.

Destruct is a dark, mean-sounding materia; Sephiroth is a dark, mean-kinda guy. I'm not sure what else would be appropriate for him to throw at this stage in the game (he can hardly hand over an Ultima or Contain).

I do think the destruct materia is linked to his Barrier/MBarrier use as a final boss, but in a more prosaic way: it gives the player an 'aha' moment when they remember that the materia Sephiroth gave them holds the key to beating him at the end of the game.

Relationships like that give the player clues what to do and pleasure when they recognise the callback. It's like when you use a brick joke in stand-up.
« Last Edit: 2019-04-22 20:02:46 by Bosola »