Author Topic: Vagrant Story Animations  (Read 3699 times)

Ghost_Writer

Vagrant Story Animations
« on: 2009-10-29 16:52:12 »
I have been working on a model viewer / exporter for Vagrant Story. I have managed to rip Ashley Riot's model (00.SHP). The thing that's holding me back is the animations. I just dont understand these SEQ files. I had to fix up the model by hand to get a pose that looked right. I'm nearly finished with the SHP / WEP format. I have only just started into the SEQ files. So has anyone tried to reverse these animations? Any information at all would be helpful.

BTW The data is stored as frames. There are translation and rotation transforms for the bones. But it seems like I am not seeing the whole picture. Some of these feilds are stored on a nibble alignment. Anyway the first frame for Ashley Riot is the basic unarmed standing idle animation which is loaded in RAM at 0x801275D8 from the file 00_COM.SEQ at offset 0x1750. Just in case anyone was interested in poking around.

Chev

• View Profile
Re: Vagrant Story Animations
« Reply #1 on: 2009-10-29 17:28:37 »
You may try to have a look at FF9's animation format, since that's from around the same time (even though they don't seem to have much in common engine-wise). What they did is, they only stored tracks for the variant quantities (also per-byte, ie separate tracks for high and low bytes). So you'd have a first frame with root position and angles, but only those that didn't vary would directly be the values, and for the others there'd be pointers to the relevant tracks, you could identify whether you had a pointer or a value through flags written right after each value.

Well, dunno if that'll help.
http://wiki.qhimm.com/FF9/File/0x03

Ghost_Writer

Re: Vagrant Story Animations
« Reply #2 on: 2009-11-12 15:11:24 »
Thanks Chev, may be useful since most of the formats used in Vagrant Story have similarities to those used by Final Fantasy. Of course none are 100% compatible. I only ask because it was mentioned here that someone had taken a look at it. I was just wondering if anyone had delved any further than this.