Author Topic: [HD Remake] WIP Sector 5 slums  (Read 275619 times)

Salk

• View Profile
Re: [HD Remake] WIP Sector 5 slums
« Reply #200 on: 2014-03-04 05:12:04 »
Looks really pretty!  ;)

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: 2014-03-06 05:01:30 »
Hi folks,

I'm pretty much done with my re-texturing of the item shop. Here's the almost final render (it's only with 50 samples, I'll ramp that up considerably for final renders), I should be able to layer it and make it playable soon.

I hope you like it!

narcku

• Like what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: 2014-03-06 05:24:56 »
I like it!
Looks very nice :)
Though that pipe's shiny line part kinda bothers me a bit :P (uhh.. just my opinion) Forget I said that  :-[
« Last Edit: 2014-03-07 06:51:26 by Hakuryu »

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: 2014-03-07 01:38:38 »
Though that pipe's shiny line part kinda bothers me a bit :P (uhh.. just my opinion)
Well... it's a big brushed steel tubing directly located under a light source, so it will have a "shiny line". The variable that may affect that shiny line is mostly the "Roughness", which is relevant to the roughness of the brushed steel finish. A coarse roughness will give you a wider "shiny line" and more blurry reflections, a small roughness will give you a much more narrow shiny line and sharper (mirror-like) reflections. When I started texturing, I actually put less roughness, but I changed this variable after comparing it with the original picture (see page 3 of this thread), where a relatively coarse roughness is shown. We could have a long debate about choosing small roughness over big roughness (or the opposite), I prefer to submit a picture to figure which one is preferred by the majority. I may revise my textures later accordingly (it's rather a quick fix, it doesn't bother me).
Below is a picture with the non-painted part of the large horizontal tube set to a much lower roughness (a quarter of the roughness of the previous picture).

Let me know what you guys think.

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: 2014-03-07 02:52:42 »
I think it looks amazing, the piping looks almost photo realistic. My only suggestion would be to make the tarnish on the smaller pipe visibly consistent across the entire area of tubing. It seems a little too pristine for a musty dirty place like the slums

Or perhaps the store owner polishes his makeshift store counter, whichever way you want to rationalize it
« Last Edit: 2014-03-07 02:57:15 by KnifeTheSky77 »

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
« Reply #205 on: 2014-03-07 05:04:07 »
I think you definitely had it right the first time. The shine had a settled look to it with the more coarse roughness that would fit a store in the slums. I think the second one loses it's realism with how it's reflecting the light.

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: 2014-03-07 19:33:43 »

I would like a tone down on the highlights overall, right now it has more the feeling of polished chrome, instead of oxidated steal.
not only on the main horizontal pipe, but also the cylinder ar the back, and the reddish pipes on the right top.

Also the white of the poster feels too white, one note in CG is that there aro no absolute colors (rgb 255,255,255) best is to always keep well below that.

make it dirty, make it dirty....that's the challenge :-P

but that's just my humble opinion :)
 8)

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: 2014-03-08 03:46:14 »
Forget I said that  :-[
Don't be embarrassed about your opinion. Feedback is useful.

Or perhaps the store owner polishes his makeshift store counter, whichever way you want to rationalize it

That was was pretty much my take on it.

I think you definitely had it right the first time. The shine had a settled look to it with the more coarse roughness that would fit a store in the slums. I think the second one loses it's realism with how it's reflecting the light.
I am not sure there's a "more" or "less realistic" case. Today I have seen a steel pipe of mirror-like finish on a construction site, which itself was pretty dirty. The roughness is primarily a consequence of the metal finish itself, much less that of dirt and grime (which however affect the intensity of the reflections).

I would like a tone down on the highlights overall, right now it has more the feeling of polished chrome, instead of oxidated steal.
not only on the main horizontal pipe, but also the cylinder ar the back, and the reddish pipes on the right top.
I've done quite a lot of observation of metal ducts IRL, so I can try to give you an educated answer  :P
I don't think the metal you see in my picture is too polished for being some kind of brushed stainless steel. The brushed stainless steel I showcased has significant roughness and anisotropy, I believe the scale at which we view the image (the main duct is about 80 cm in diameter) may give a false impression. Chrome usually has pretty much no roughness nor anisotropy, with very sharp mirror-like reflections (usually it's more with a smooth, electroplated finish, and not brushed with grit belt like stainless steel).
The other aspect is: stainless steel does not stain or rust under regular conditions. If it is corroded, you would see an oxide with a rather light purple color. It behaves a lot differently than cast iron or low grade steel (which would rust with the classic orange iron oxide). So in a sense, if it is not subject to harsh environments (such as acid rains, saltwater), stainless steel can only get dirty with whatever is smeared on it, not so much because of the degradation of the material itself. But that is just one side of the discussion.
When it comes to these cases of texturing, I believe the main problem is simply a matter of interpretation. What do we see in the original image? Basically we see brighter sections of grey metallic-like pipes and dirty-orange sections of pipe. There are actually various types of materials which could give that impression at low resolution, but once you get at much higher resolution and you see much details, you can end up with very different results.
1- My own interpretation was that the pipe was made of brushed stainless steel, which was painted in the more orange sections. I ruled out the assumption that the orange color came from rust, because of the area of the pipe which is painted with the "Welcome" kanjis. The main horizontal pipe is like a makeshift counter, which the shopkeeper would clean more regularly than the rest of the pipes. The pipes are only dirty because of grime, not because of rust.
2- One could interpret this as as assembly of aluminum (where the pipe is shiny metal) and rusted iron. The "Welcome" kanji painting could have had some corrosion-resistant coating, who knows.
Aluminum is fairly shiny, but generally its diffuse/glossy ratio is more than that of stainless steel, so it could have given a different result on the grey sections. If the orange is rusted cast iron, the resulting high res texture would be very different from what I've shown.
3- The pipe could be made with galvanized steel/orange-painted galvanized steel. Galvanized steel is also very corrosion resistant, but its diffuse/glossy ratio is quite higher than that of stainless steel, and it would certainly tone down the highlights on the metal. This interpretation could give a result much closer to what you suggest. Yet again, galvanized steel has a very particular grain to it.
Personally, I have to understand how the material is made of to try to replicate how it would look like. Based on your feedback, I can have a go on interpretation 3- and see what I'd end up with. I don't think interpretation 2- is valid (again, based on the painted kanjis).

Also the white of the poster feels too white, one note in CG is that there aro no absolute colors (rgb 255,255,255) best is to always keep well below that.
You're right, I hadn't taken care of toning this one down. I'll make the revision.
« Last Edit: 2014-03-08 04:01:08 by Mayo Master »

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: 2014-03-08 23:48:19 »
Hi folks,

After your feedback, I decided to have a try at re-texturing the pipes based on the idea that they were made of galvanized steel and painted galvanized steel.
Additionally:
- I put a bit of grime on the poster and toned it down
- I changed the texture of the shelf
- I put more reflectivity in the tea cups
- [EDIT: Not shown on the picture below] Also revised a glitching texture on the piping with the two steel holders

Below is the result:

I'd appreciate your feedback on this.
« Last Edit: 2014-03-09 00:53:58 by Mayo Master »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Last Edit: 2014-03-09 00:08:13 by LeonhartGR »

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
« Reply #210 on: 2014-03-09 21:16:04 »
I thought the first one looked great, the new one is just awesome. Lighting and texture on the pipe looks really good.

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: 2014-03-10 05:57:44 »
Getting started on 5min1_1....

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: 2014-03-12 05:12:44 »
Hi folks,

I wanted to start doing a bit of texturing on 5min1_1, but I could seriously use some advice/feedback.
Here's the original image...

I'm actually done with modelling most of the pipes. To be honest, it was a fest of non-Euclidian geometry and escher-style perspective, more painful than enjoyable thing to model.
Now, I would like to start texturing the floor and the walls to get a better sense of the feel of the place. However, based on the original image, I have a hard time figuring out what the walls and floors are actually made of, and what kind of textures I should assign to it.
Here are some basic tests I made for floors:

1- very old and worn tatami-like flooring fabric
2- fabric flooring
3- fine concrete floor
4- coarse concrete floor

It's not so much about making a definite choice for one of these four options, but I'm rather looking for pointers. I tried to model the whole floor with texture 4 but it looks off somehow. If you have some ideas, I would really appreciate.  :)

Sebanisu

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: 2014-03-12 13:41:33 »
I like the first texture. I'm not sure if it's 100% match but I like it. I thought of that kinda floor when I look at the original picture.

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: 2014-03-12 16:11:27 »

I'd appreciate your feedback on this.

Astonishing job!  :o Congratulations!

About the choice for the floor texture. The one I feel like excluding is number 3. Fabric looks good and while number 1 looks extra nice I feel like number 2 might give the best result.

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: 2014-03-12 19:02:18 »
Hi folks,

I wanted to start doing a bit of texturing on 5min1_1, but I could seriously use some advice/feedback.

I'm actually done with modelling most of the pipes. To be honest, it was a fest of non-Euclidian geometry and escher-style perspective, more painful than enjoyable thing to model.
Now, I would like to start texturing the floor and the walls to get a better sense of the feel of the place. However, based on the original image, I have a hard time figuring out what the walls and floors are actually made of, and what kind of textures I should assign to it.

1- very old and worn tatami-like flooring fabric
2- fabric flooring
3- fine concrete floor
4- coarse concrete floor

It's not so much about making a definite choice for one of these four options, but I'm rather looking for pointers. I tried to model the whole floor with texture 4 but it looks off somehow. If you have some ideas, I would really appreciate.  :)

For me, it feels like none of the above.

Tatami is not used here, (too expensive for the slums).
fabric, not likely, too much moist.
Concrete also looks to be out of the question.

Personally I would look more into the direction of worn-painted-plywood.
In some places it looks like the floor is curled up at the end of the plates, might be due to moist.
Also the paint is worn more at the ends of some plates.

that's my two cents. :)

8)

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: 2014-03-12 20:48:12 »
I think the flooring kind of resembles wrestling mat material  ???

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #217 on: 2014-03-13 01:26:56 »
Looks like concrete wood to me...
Here are some examples:

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: 2014-03-13 13:22:26 »
So... I guess I'll just go and try different textures on a larger scale and see what I end up with.
- I had several (out of the forum) people saying right away it's old worn tatami fabric. It could be very well some "upcycled" tatami that a wealthy resident from above the plate dumped before. It also concurs with the "wrestling mat" material idea.
- I wonder if the classic idea of slum houses having mold and humidity problems holds in Midgar. The Plate is above, and should have all sorts of drainage system, making the area under the plate never receive any rain. I would believe things get grimy because of dust and dirt, primarily.
- I'm adding plywood to the list of possibilities.
- As pointed above, I don't think I can rule out concrete because a/ the patterns and ridges are rather concrete-like     b/ concrete is a building material that is very commonly used in slums (I've seen real life examples in Mexico City).

I'll just run along with these ideas. It's going to be time consuming, but there's no helping it, is there.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #219 on: 2014-03-13 22:33:00 »

I would be satisfied with this one though :)

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: 2014-03-14 00:40:49 »
Ok folks, I did some more tests...
Concrete test

Plywood test

Old tatami test

Well, it may not be very obvious on these pictures because of some sources of noise (having all walls and ceiling generating indirect light creates quite a bit of noise), but old tatami is actually the winner. That my final word  :P
Coincidentally, it turns out the room is almost exactly 8 x 4 tatamis, based on traditional Japanese length units. Now I just have to work on making an auspicious tatami arrangement:D

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #221 on: 2014-03-14 00:54:30 »
If you could please make your tatami a little bit worn out :P :P

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: 2014-03-17 15:08:28 »
Update!

The flooring has old tatamis, pieces of plywood and dirty concrete. All should be happy  :)
I think I may add a bit more specularity/glossy to the square pipes. By the way, the TV (I've yet to model it properly) has an 80" screen  :o   Must have "fallen from the truck". I'm assuming it's an old fashion "giant flat(-ish) screen" (the largest CRT TVs were about 40", and needed 4 people to be carried around).
I hope you enjoy!

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #223 on: 2014-03-17 23:07:48 »
If you compare it to the original the tatami blocks look bigger (not like small squares), more grayish and not in a tiled sequence, but anyway you prefer it, should be fine. If you can change this btw it would be more awesome. Thanks!

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: 2014-03-18 00:01:15 »
Well, what you mentioned could open some discussion regarding how to model scenes...
When I started to model for TA, the goal was pretty much to make the scenes HD, and try to exactly replicate how it used to be in the original. My point of view has significantly changed since then. It turns out that if you try to simply upscale a scene as you remodel it, it just doesn't work fine. The main reason is a problem of scale. Many items in the original images were scaled in such a way to make them recognizable at the very poor resolution we had on PS1 era games. But if you keep things at the same proportions as the original and make it HD, it just looks dumb. For instance, the original scale of the tea cup in the item shop scene is 38 cm in diameter and 40 cm tall. When something looks absurd, there's no saving it on the reason that "it's set in a fantasy world anyway". For having believable environment, it's important for us to correct all these clunky details as we remodel things.
Additionally, as we remodel things in HD, we have the ability to bring in lots more details which also contribute to make the world more believable. I disagree strongly with the simplistic idea of enhanced graphics being detrimental to story-telling: if anything, enhanced visuals can tell more without a word. For example, in The Last of Us, just when entering random houses, you could start imagining what kind of people were living there, and recreate their lifestyle, just with the amount of details given to the environments.
All in all, when we remodel a scene, we have to interpret the original, and build something coherent from there. In the particular example of the 5min1_1 scene, after I decided to go for the old tatami floorings, I sized tatami according to the traditional Japanese standards. I laid out the tatamis according to the rules for auspicious arrangements, I don't think Japanese people would have done otherwise. Then, to keep all the tatami together in the area filled with clunky pipes, I either cut out some of the tatamis to have enough gaps for these pipes, or I inserted pieces of plywood like a slum resident would for an easy and cheap fix. If I had tried to exactly replicate the original, I would have ended up with oversized, awkwardly shaped tatamis, and I don't think that would have worked better. Don't get me wrong, I want to be respectful and faithful to the original design, but I want to work on ways to improve it, when it is possible. It is also the main advantage of our HD remake of field scenes over the "enlarge and photoshop filter" method you have in Omzy's graphical overhaul.