Author Topic: New Field backgrounds/CG Cutscenes thread  (Read 180789 times)

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
Re: New Field backgrounds/CG Cutscenes thread
« Reply #400 on: 2010-04-13 22:27:15 »
:) thanks, I'm working on a better version . oups I forgot to remove the GP dealer :-D
Mako: I searched for the original pics but they don't available on internet so I put  Fat chocobo from chocobo tales on DS, and two mog I found in google, and then I tried to make the same floor as the original. I made this on photoshop.

Fantastic job my friend! :D

Ass official team ass kisser i welcome you :P

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: 2010-04-14 12:42:19 »
That really is some amazing work.

Harro

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: 2010-04-14 15:14:05 »
I remade the animation when we arrive in Gold Saucer and correct some lighning and other things

http://www.youtube.com/user/akharr?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/3PICYGaIR-4
or
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcy39i_remake-entree-du-gold-saucer-v-2_videogames

pfiou +- 20 hours to calculate 9 seconde of animation  :x

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: 2010-04-14 15:43:35 »
Great job man. :D

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: 2010-04-14 16:30:36 »
good stuff harro, This base is great, but you need to do some fine tuning, on the whole, the scene seems to wide. The blue...cart..rope thinger the proportions are fairly off. Try and get a hold of the ropeway station background in north corel to use as a secondary reference. Among these, the lights and propellers seem awfully small.

Harro

• View Profile
« Reply #405 on: 2010-04-14 16:39:32 »
there's a lot of things to do, yes.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: 2010-04-14 17:34:10 »
there's a lot of things to do, yes.
balloons!  :P

Satoh

• Assuming this statement is correct, I'm alive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: 2010-04-14 19:30:41 »
Not bad. there are a few things that need work...

Railway car does seem off by a slight bit, perhaps too wide... the props are a bit small, as has been said, and the cut through the giant mog-faced tunnel wall...

They should spin much... much faster...

It is a very good start though, I will say that.

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: 2010-04-14 23:04:23 »
Hello all,
I've been following the progress of this project for some time now and I've got a few questions;

I've been wondering, is there any logic in this? ( I don't mean the 3d-fication of the backgrounds) but I see some models of scenes, however,
which scenes are in progress and what is their status?
Isuggest putting up a list of the file names and who is working on them in order to prevent different people starting on the same scene, also complement the list with some sort of status (like modeling, texturing and rendered (perhaps with a percentage of completion along with it).
Also what's not quite clear to me is the resolution of the desired rendering...
and finally, how do you take count for the different layers (sprites for lights within the original backgrounds)?

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: 2010-04-14 23:14:54 »
Rendering can be any size, so basically whatever is needed is what is rendered.

Also, I'm not sure if you understand or not, but FFVII's maps were all high resolution models that were rendered in the first place. We are recreating those models within a reasonable tolerance of error, and rendering them at probably somewhere around 4x to 8x the original size so they don't look pixelated in-game.

As for a list of files... I don't think ANY scenes have been finished yet, and really there's no telling what can happen when many people work on one scene, you could get 3 steaming piles of crap and one absolutely amazing piece, or you could get all amazing pieces in which you are conflicted in your choices... or you could get all crap...

Many artists are better than one in my opinion.

If you want to help, pick your favorite place and have at it.

As for the supposed "sprites" for lighting... we'll do exactly what square did and cut away everything in the render except for the pixels we want to be in the foreground. Square made their layers after the fact, that's why the antialiasing is still present in scenes... Sometimes if you look for it, you can see the AA in front of the characters.

FFVII doesn't do variable or semi-transparency at all, so we simply have "opaque" or "transparent" pixels to worry about.

The only real issue is getting the scenes rendered at the same FOV and angle as the originals.

alloy

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: 2010-04-15 03:13:54 »
Thats an awesome start harro.

Couple of things that could help with the lighting/materials.

Some of the cartoony assets of that scene have a self lighted material.
Basically almost everything in that scene is self lighted if you look hard. Cept the floor it seems.
What software are you using? max? Look in the materials editor and turn self lighting to
50% or something like that. Its just a way to fake the glow in the dark look of the object.
That could help a lot to get that same look in the game.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: 2010-04-15 03:24:13 »
Think Aali fixed the Semi transparent pixel issue

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: 2010-04-15 03:27:17 »

Basically almost everything in that scene is self lighted if you look hard. Cept the floor it seems.
What software are you using? max? Look in the materials editor and turn self lighting to
50% or something like that. Its just a way to fake the glow in the dark look of the object.

Im pretty sure he uses maya. If this is the case all you need to do is goto material attributes and turn on shader glow.

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: 2010-04-15 03:40:40 »

Im pretty sure he uses maya. If this is the case all you need to do is goto material attributes and turn on shader glow.

EGADS! sl knows something about modeling now!? What did I miss!!?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: 2010-04-15 04:25:58 »
The train scene that i am working on?

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: 2010-04-15 12:03:55 »
That is FANTASTIC ;D

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: 2010-04-15 13:35:29 »
I remade the animation when we arrive in Gold Saucer and correct some lighning and other things

http://www.youtube.com/user/akharr?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/3PICYGaIR-4
or
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcy39i_remake-entree-du-gold-saucer-v-2_videogames

pfiou +- 20 hours to calculate 9 seconde of animation  :x

Wow Harro, this is really excellent work! I think once you grab the original images with Palmer to match it up a bit better, this will look fantastic.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: 2010-04-15 13:42:59 »
The train scene that i am working on?

My point of view:
- Lights are still too bright;
- Crate on the top right near light should be more white-ish than blue-ish
- Proportions/camera angle might look weird ingame, at least comparing with the original train.
- You should change the texture of the train itself becase it looks more like wood rather than smooth metal.
- There's also some random lightning in ceiling and some parts where it looks that light pointing there is broken.

You can also throw some test chars in there and compare with this picture:
« Last Edit: 2010-04-15 13:45:55 by Nightmarish »

Harro

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: 2010-04-15 15:30:07 »
sl1982 good job :) I like it.

alloy, I'm using Maya 2010 . I take note of what you say. thank you. I'm just a beginner with Maya, I have a lot of things to learn. Lightinig is a little complicated :-[  I red some tutorial but english is not my mother tongue (it's french) so I have to understand by myself and it's not always easy :-\
so if you have some tricks for Maya (like alloy and sl1932) , please tell me.

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: 2010-04-15 18:14:53 »
Rendering can be any size, so basically whatever is needed is what is rendered.
...We are recreating those models within a reasonable tolerance of error, and rendering them at probably somewhere around 4x to 8x the original size so they don't look pixelated in-game.

If you want to help, pick your favorite place and have at it.

FFVII doesn't do variable or semi-transparency at all, so we simply have "opaque" or "transparent" pixels to worry about.
The only real issue is getting the scenes rendered at the same FOV and angle as the originals.
Okay, here goes...
I've been working on
  • MD1_1.DAT
  • MD2_2.DAT
  • MD1STIN.DAT
Overview (sortof...)

MD1_1 camera:

anything usefull?

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: 2010-04-15 18:36:18 »
SpooX that looks great!  I didnt compare to riginal for a ton of detail, but it looks like you have the form and details on the right track. Is that in sketchup?

Things to keep in mind - Try to model as many details in as you can, and make sure yer camera angle is right. - to check, make a render and stick it in photoshop or something, and on another layer put the original, whilst playing with the opacity, you can see the inconsitencies change.

I look forward to seeing more! (and animating it all when its done :P)

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: 2010-04-15 18:37:18 »
Looks like this little (??) project is picking up some steam.

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: 2010-04-15 18:45:06 »
SpooX that looks great!  I didnt compare to riginal for a ton of detail, but it looks like you have the form and details on the right track. Is that in sketchup?
Thanx, No it is not in sketchup, it's 3d Max (my favorite 3d package)

Things to keep in mind - Try to model as many details in as you can, and make sure yer camera angle is right. - to check, make a render and stick it in photoshop or something, and on another layer put the original, whilst playing with the opacity, you can see the inconsitencies change.
The camera should be spot on... you can check it out, the render is the same resolution...

I look forward to seeing more! (and animating it all when its done :P)

Now that is defenitly a huge challenge, I'v been trying to match the camera of the intro movie, but noy quite succesfull (yet).
Also the modelling involved in doing the complete midgar.....hmmm that could take some time...

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: 2010-04-15 18:51:20 »
leave the animation to me :P thats my kinda thing. and yes, we do need most of midgar. The opening will be started one once we have all the game based areas doen (all the above plate) as well as hq. In the meantime though, we can do the short anim, where the camera flys around cloud and he runs to the reactor. (we have a reactor in the works somerhwere).

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: 2010-04-15 19:51:54 »
Looks like this little (??) project is picking up some steam.

Heh, we have to give moral support to our modders/graphic devs so they can keep our dream alive. (only steam i can give  :-[ )
Btw, wouldn't it be easier to redo the battlebackgrounds first? They're less and smaller.