Author Topic: [FF7] Original and Outdated Tutorial - Bootleg Configurator  (Read 1850399 times)

Iecerint

• View Profile
Re: [Tutorial] Bootleg Configurator and FF7 Mod Installation
« Reply #775 on: 2012-02-09 03:41:30 »
When I play from Bootlegger, the Squaresoft chocobo scene doesn't show up.  The only screen before the New Game/Continue? screen is an eidos logo.

The only time the running chocobos comes up for me is after the Game Over screen.

FlyingToast

« Reply #776 on: 2012-02-09 03:46:19 »
awesome thanks!

Iecerint

• View Profile
« Reply #777 on: 2012-02-09 05:36:44 »
/
« Last Edit: 2012-02-09 05:43:41 by Iecerint »

afp

• View Profile
« Reply #778 on: 2012-02-09 15:22:20 »
Just wanted to express my thanks for this project.  It took me a few hours last night, but I was able to get Bootleg, download all of the mods, and use it to patch my FF7 on my PC.  Strangely enough, the new sound effects are what really made me smile.

Honestly, something like this has been missing for a long time.  I've always wanted to do an install like this, but the work involved without this central repository of links is daunting to say the least.

Thanks bro, from one FF7 fanboy to another =)

(edit)Did it on Win 7 x64
Also forgot to mention a bug I ran into.  In BFE you can specify your 'Destination Location', and I happened to have two of them since the README says to make a new fresh install in a non-default location.  I pointed it to the new one in C:\FF7_PC_fresh_install but when it actually ran Bootleg it found the one in the default location and patched that one.  BFE and Bootleg were in a separate folder from both.

Just tried to reinstall the game to change a few things, but this time I used the "FF7 Install Location" option.  I had done a fresh install and zipped up the folder before changing anything.  This is the error I got back from Bootleg:

Laying Bootleg Edit. . .
Extracting FF7 Image . . .
Image Restored.

Checking Operating System...
Missing ff7.exe
Bootleg Aborting . . .

I checked the .zip archive and it has the file 'ff7.exe' in it.  Will use the original way again, just thought I'd let you know.
(SOLUTION)The .zip archive was creating another folder when it unzipped, so instead of unzipping to ...\FF7Game\data it was extracting to ...\FF7Game\FF7Game\data
« Last Edit: 2012-02-09 18:46:06 by afp »

Tsuna

• Global moderator
  • Working together to create awesome things!
    • View Profile
    • The home of Tsunamods
« Reply #779 on: 2012-02-09 21:57:53 »
Anyone able to help out with my little issue a little further down the page??
Would be VERY greatfull as he is starting to become weak with his standard weapon lol

itx

• View Profile
« Reply #780 on: 2012-02-09 23:04:23 »
hello again. how can i install the game without the "9999 break patch" ?

i dont want that patch and i dont select that patch in the BFE...

or how can i remove the patch?

in opengl.cfg is disabled too

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: 2012-02-09 23:10:09 »
Disable the 9999 Break patch in the Menu Overhaul installer.
Also make sure it's disabled in ff7_opengl.cfg

Kadath

« Reply #782 on: 2012-02-10 07:21:58 »
Hello guys. Yesterday I suddenly felt the urge to dust off FF7 after who knows how many years, and when on a whim I stumbled upon this unexpectedly prolific modding scene I knew I had to give it a try. So, after scavenging the forum a bit and discovering bootleg (amazing work btw, PitBrat, if it weren't for this not-so-little jewel I would probably have settled with just some basic texture/video replacements) I went straight to the grunt work of downloading everything needed for a first try to take a look at the various options and get a feeling of what exactly I prefer.

Everything went fine, however there are some options I'm unsure of and there seems to be little information about, either for bootleg setups and for specific components behaviour: the very same threads of the original mods/compilations are sometimes a bit lacking in that department, with details buried inside the discussions. I might have missed some obvious tutorial somewhere, in which case I beg your and everyone's pardon: hope you don't mind me asking some general information about a couple of specific components even though they're not your "responsibility", it just makes more sense to me to keep these probably dumb newbish questions in one place where they could be useful to others too instead of cluttering several single threads. As the process of a full installation is quite long, I hope this can save a bit of time compared to pure trial and error.

So, following BFE's order, here are my doubts:

1 - Soundtrack: defaults to finalfantim OGG, while in your "PitBrat" and the full preset they are set to "bootleg". I've read the .ogg format is supposed to be the best choice for it supports looping. However, does the bootleg option mix & match content from the various options to a result you judged the best/most stable/whatever and/or has it more content? Tl;dr: is it best to choose the bootleg option or the OGG one is supposed to be the most advisable?

2 - Game modes/difficulty: These can be installed all together and switched on the fly, so trial and error is actually really feasible, but since I'm already here shouldn't hurt to ask. While the hardcore mod seems to be the most popular, and the short description itself inside bootleg points at it probably being the best modification of the kind, I'm not really sure I'm up for the frustration it can deliver later on. The remastered gameplay from the remix sparks my interest as a possible way to replay the game with some surprises without having to tear my hair off, but I couldn't find any details: as I've seen you state several times the remix itself is seriously outdated, should I expect this option in the bootleg too to be potentially bug ridden/unbalanced? I would hate to choose this just to find several hours in that I have to revert to another gameplay to be able to play without cursing several real and fictional gods in the process...  :P

2b- Aeris: Not really sure if I want her anyway, while I liked her I always thought the very choice of killing off a major character like her was one of the main things that made FF7's plot so poignant and memorable. Aaaanyway, from the mod thread I see it's supposed to be incompatible with the remix and the hardcore mods, but I guess you found a workaround to put her in this compilation. Should I expect any issues and should I refrain from using either hardcore/remastered gameplay in conjuction with the Aeris mod?
On a less relevant - but definitely not out of disrespect towards the author - note, would it be even worth it in your opinion (aka, is there some actual relevant content, or is it mostly little more than an old character hack to have her active but pretty much a novelty apart from a couple of lines)? I know it's not really polite of me to ask about it here, but again the original mod thread has little to no info about it in the opening post(s), so if it actually has the potential of messing things up with other mods I'd find an informed opinion about its intrinsic value helpful in making my choice.

3 - Field Textures: I understand the "bootlegged" option here mixes content from the various different required mods. However, what's then the difference between it and, for instance, the "BlackFan+SL1982+Facepalmer" option? Is it some sort of "light" selection, while the latter installs everything at the potential expense of stability? As I'm reasonably confident in my system's ability to handle it, I wouldn't mind a couple of scenes with some lighting glitches if it means having everything else at the best available resolution.

4 - Menu Overhaul: From my first test run I saw it installs two times, one for the normal gameplay, one for the hardcore setting (on a mode switching install, of course). Both it and the opengl plugin share the 9999 break tweak. From your very last post I get both options should be turned off if I don't want it, but if I do, should both be activated, only one of them, or it doesn't actually matter as long either one is? So, if for example I want the 9999 break activated when I switch to the hardcore mod but deactivated if I'm playing with another choice, do I have to make the relevant choice during the Menu Overhaul two installs, while leaving the opengl cfg option off?

That should be it. Thanks in advance for your patience, and kudos again for this awesome project!  ;)
« Last Edit: 2012-02-10 08:34:14 by Kadath »

itx

• View Profile
« Reply #783 on: 2012-02-10 13:14:13 »
Disable the 9999 Break patch in the Menu Overhaul installer.
Also make sure it's disabled in ff7_opengl.cfg

PitBrat, i think that is a fail in the bootleg.

i reinstalled the game from vanilla and then the bootleg again, and in menu overhail i choosed "menu without 9999 break patch", and in ff7_opengl.cfg is disabled too.

so i think in some point of the instalation, the 9999 break patch was installed by itself.

my profile in bootleg (.db): http://www.mediafire.com/?z1mi9sfmk1wumoi

how i configured menu overhaul:
Destination location:
      C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII

Setup type:
      Custom installation

Selected components:
      Main Menu
         Menu without Break-9999HP Limit patch
      Battle Menu
         Final Fantasy IX theme
         Auto size the action box
      Files
         WINDOW.bin
      Graphics
         Main
            Standard overhaul graphics
         World Map
            Updated world map based on original graphic
      Fixes
         Sense Limit [Sense will now work with enemies up to 65535HP]
         Default Run [By default, character will run instead of walk]
         Gypt [Ability to skip FMV's]
      Backup [Files are placed in the folder BACKUP-MO]

and in opengl.cfg i have this:
# allow max hp/mp to go over 9999, same effect as the YAMP patch by dziugo
break_9999limit = no

So check this this in bootleg please, in some point of the instalation the patch was installed by itself. maybe when the bootleg install the remix?

thx

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #784 on: 2012-02-10 16:26:57 »
Kadath,
I definitely need to update the FAQ!

1) Available soundtracks include:
      PSF - Original MIDI
      FileNamesOnly - FinalFanTim's original MP3s
      OSTRemastered - FinalFanTim's looped OGGs
      mp3 (remixed) - All OCRemixes MP3s
      Custom - a combination of OCRemix and FinalFanTim's MP3s
      Bootleg - a combination of FinalFanTim's OGGs; OCRemix MP3s; NetHead's tracks 3-06 - The Nightmare's Beginning-rev8.ogg, 3-16 - Interrupted by Fireworks-rev18.ogg, 3-20 - Buried in the Snow-v.2.ogg and Symphonic's track JenovaRemix.ogg

2) I've taken steps to integrate the various modes such as Aeris Revival and Hardcore.  Hardcore takes precedence when there is a conflict.  Aeris is missing from 3 scenes when using Hardcore.  She is always available for battle.  Aeris Revival includes 1 new quest specific to Aeris.  Her additional dialogue has no major impact on the game.

3) The Bootleg option for field textures is a custom blend of the texture packs based on my visual comparison of textures and suggestions from the forum.  The other options are labeled based on order of precedence.  "BlackFan+SL1982+Facepalmer" will install ALL BlackFan textures, then additional SL1982 textures and finally add in the remaining Facepalmer textures.

4) Don't use the 9999 break patch setting in the ff7_opengl.cfg file; leave it off.  Instead, set the 9999 break option with Menu Overhaul.  Then you won't have to change the .cfg when switching modes.

ITX,
On some versions of Windows, UAC and DEP prevent Bootleg from writing directly to a system folder like C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII.
I recommend installing FF7 to a non-system folder like C:\Games\FF7.
Bootleg may well have failed to update the file in the system folder and instead saved the file to the virtual store.

Iecerint

• View Profile
« Reply #785 on: 2012-02-10 20:46:19 »
1. Is it necessary to load the game from Bootloader every time?  This point is a little unclear to me.

2. Now does "New Spell Names" interact with the Retranslation project?  Does it have to be re-selected each time?  What about Aeris Revival?

itx

• View Profile
« Reply #786 on: 2012-02-10 22:00:02 »
ITX,
On some versions of Windows, UAC and DEP prevent Bootleg from writing directly to a system folder like C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII.
I recommend installing FF7 to a non-system folder like C:\Games\FF7.
Bootleg may well have failed to update the file in the system folder and instead saved the file to the virtual store.

YES!!! that was the problem. Thanks for your help, now I have everything working perfectly!

thanks too for your effort on this project, thanks to him I can enjoy the ff7 like when I was a kid!

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #787 on: 2012-02-10 22:12:36 »
No, you don't need to use Bootloader to start the game every time.
You can run the game with the file Run FFVII-Bootleg.bat found in the game folder.  The game will start in the last mode played.

The Retranslation includes it's own spell names and takes precedence over new spell names.
Aeris Revival and Retranslation aren't completely compatible.  When using mode switching, the Retranslation is not installed in the Aeris Revival mode.

Iecerint

• View Profile
« Reply #788 on: 2012-02-11 01:00:54 »
When installing the Menu mods and choosing Retranslation, is it bad if you choose "Enable if you use Hardcore mod" both times?  What's going on there?

For example, is bootleg constructing two separate scripts -- one for Hardcore and one for everything else?

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #789 on: 2012-02-11 01:45:31 »
When installing Menu Overhaul, choosing "Enable if you use Hardcore mod" removes some of the retranslated text to maintain compatibility with the Hardcore mod.

Iecerint

• View Profile
« Reply #790 on: 2012-02-11 16:52:08 »
Let me clarify.

When I run bootleg, that entire Mod appears to be installed twice.  The second time, I'm explicitly prompted to select that option should I choose to use Hardcore mode.

Is it a glitch that it installs twice, or is it making two separate scripts such that playing in Normal mode with the full retranslation remains possible?

afp

• View Profile
« Reply #791 on: 2012-02-11 17:30:00 »
I can verify this.  When I ran Bootleg it ran the Menu Overhaul GUI installer twice, basically one right after the other.  I didn't know what to make of it, just made sure to choose the same options the second time as I chose the first.

Mewsin (aka Zendar)

• i share everything i make (the Answer is yes)
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: 2012-02-11 19:27:05 »
Let me clarify.

When I run bootleg, that entire Mod appears to be installed twice.  The second time, I'm explicitly prompted to select that option should I choose to use Hardcore mode.

Is it a glitch that it installs twice, or is it making two separate scripts such that playing in Normal mode with the full retranslation remains possible?
I can verify this.  When I ran Bootleg it ran the Menu Overhaul GUI installer twice, basically one right after the other.  I didn't know what to make of it, just made sure to choose the same options the second time as I chose the first.

Verified same hapens to me

Iecerint

• View Profile
« Reply #793 on: 2012-02-11 21:14:14 »
The battle system is hanging pretty much 50% of the times that I kill a hammer blaster in Shinra Headquarters.  I vaguely remember that this might be a known issue, but I don't know if one of the mods is supposed to fix this.

Tsuna

• Global moderator
  • Working together to create awesome things!
    • View Profile
    • The home of Tsunamods
« Reply #794 on: 2012-02-11 21:31:30 »
Anyone able to help me? I left a post a little further down thnx

strife98

• Global moderator
  • Doink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: 2012-02-11 21:58:00 »
When I play from Bootlegger, the Squaresoft chocobo scene doesn't show up.  The only screen before the New Game/Continue? screen is an eidos logo.

The only time the running chocobos comes up for me is after the Game Over screen.

Well, see I wouldn't mind that, but bootlegger doesn't even start and I don't know how to fix it. Running vanilla FF7 starts the game but it doesn't play the intro cinimatic for the new game and doesn't go past it. Any way to fix it that anyone can think of?

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #796 on: 2012-02-11 22:49:15 »
Menu Overhaul install twice when you have mode switching enabled.
The first time Menu Overhaul installs is for Normal Mode.
The second time Menu Overhaul installs is for Hardcore Mode.
The settings are completely separate in the two modes.
You can have completely different setting in Normal mode and Hardcore Mode.

If you have missing mods or settings after running Bootleg, try installing FF7 to a NON SYSTEM folder.
Don't use a folder like C:\Program Files\...
Instead, use a NON SYSTEM folder like C:\Games\FF7.

You will need to do a fresh maximum install of FF7 and run Bootleg.

unpawned

• View Profile
« Reply #797 on: 2012-02-12 00:17:23 »
May i have to download all this one by one? Or there is a torrent or something like that to make it easier?

strife98

• Global moderator
  • Doink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: 2012-02-12 01:21:29 »
May i have to download all this one by one? Or there is a torrent or something like that to make it easier?
one by one cause putting them all in one link would require permissions from every creator of the mods and that would take alot of time. thats why he said he's not going to repack everything in one download (not sure if it was here or a different thread he said that in but he said it)
If you have missing mods or settings after running Bootleg, try installing FF7 to a NON SYSTEM folder.
Don't use a folder like C:\Program Files\...
Instead, use a NON SYSTEM folder like C:\Games\FF7.

You will need to do a fresh maximum install of FF7 and run Bootleg.

I tried that, have it installed on my desktop and the video's still aren't playing in vanilla ff7, and i doubt installing the mods would fix that would it?

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #799 on: 2012-02-12 02:58:28 »
The DESKTOP is still a system folder.
Use a NON SYSTEM folder like C:\Games\FF7.

Many mods are now included in the Bootleg download.
Mods such as movies and music are very large and are best downloaded in smaller pieces.
Due to a lack of seeders, the file hosting sites offer much faster transfer speeds.