Author Topic: [FF7] Original and Outdated Tutorial - Bootleg Configurator  (Read 1850474 times)

strife98

• Global moderator
  • Doink!
    • View Profile
Re: [Tutorial] Bootleg Configurator and FF7 Mod Installation
« Reply #1225 on: 2012-05-30 08:31:16 »
I can't fully check this until I get my hard drive back, but the only problem I've been getting that I haven't read (or have missed) from the posts, is that while running Bootlegged Final Fantasy VII, my game keeps taking up so much memory.

While playing, I keep my task manager processes tab open to watch the memory. I noticed that every time I go into a new area, the memory goes up at least 20,000k, and with each new room I go into it goes up another 20,000k or so, and eventually I will enter a new area, and my game will just stay black screen.

It might be because I'm trying to play it on hardcore mode which is kind broken cause I also have mode switcher on. I'll test this when I get my hard drive back, but I've had the same memory problems with 0037, but again that may have also been another error on my part.

I just wanted to bring it up just in case it was a bug. I'll test it again with it on Normal Mode to see if it still does the same thing.

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: 2012-05-30 12:36:19 »
Windgod14,
Thanks for the mini tutorial!

Strife98,
There may be some memory leaks.  It might be an issue with all the new textures and the OpenGL driver.  Aali has hinted that there is an updated OpenGL driver in the  works.

yoshidream

« Reply #1227 on: 2012-05-30 18:55:33 »
Hi,

Everything works top notch except the field/battle models for Aerith, she's just white. Anyone experienced that? If so, how do you fix it ? Thanks

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: 2012-05-30 19:50:21 »
Did you select one of the new hairstyles for Aerith?
I believe there is an incompatibility between the HQ Aerith and the new hairstyles.
I'll have it fixed for 0039.

yoshidream

« Reply #1229 on: 2012-05-30 20:15:48 »
Yah I selected the ponytail hairstyle, is there anyway I can switch it back to reg. without doing a complete re-install ?

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: 2012-05-30 20:18:43 »
Not without having some knowledge of the LGP tools.
You'd have to reinstall the HQ Aerith model.

sarikuya

« Reply #1231 on: 2012-05-31 01:59:47 »
*groans* Okay... what am I doing wrong.

Followed instructions, clean full install of FF7, allowed all permissions to the folders, downloaded all of the mods needed, and ran BFE.

I get as far as the Eidos video, then it crashes and tells me 'something bad happened'.

INFO: FF7/FF8 OpenGL driver version 0.7.11b
INFO: Auto-detected version: FF7 1.02 US English
INFO: NVIDIA Corporation GeForce GTX 560M/PCI/SSE2 4.1.0
INFO: OpenGL 2.0 support detected
INFO: Found swap_control extension
INFO: Max texture size: 16384x16384
INFO: Number of texture units: 4
INFO: Original resolution 640x480, window size 1280x960, output resolution 1280x960, internal resolution 1280x960
INFO: Shader limits: varying 60, vert uniform 4096, frag uniform 2048
INFO: FFMpeg movie player plugin loaded
INFO: FFMpeg version SVN-r25886, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
INFO: FF7Music helper plugin loaded
INFO: Loading external library FF7anyCD.dll
LOCK UNLOCK TEST
MATRIX INITIALIZE
INITIALIZE DD/D3D END
ERROR: could not open file C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\ff7input.cfg
initializing sound...
creating dsound primary buffer
reading audio file
loading static sounds
sound initialized
set music volume: 127
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF CREDITS!!!
INFO: C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\movies\eidoslogo.avi; indeo5/pcm_s16le 640x480, 30.000000 FPS, duration: 12.933333, frames: 388
INFO: slow output format from video codec indeo5; 6
set music volume trans: 127->0, step=60
END OF CREDITS!!!
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
ERROR: unhandled exception

That's my APP log that gets printed. I've reinstalled three times from scratch, the entire game and all, with no changes.

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: 2012-05-31 03:09:55 »
Try running the game with SAFE SETTINGS.
RUN Bootloader, choose CONFIGURE and click SAFE SETTINGS.

Also, turn off compatibility mode for FF7.exe.

sarikuya

« Reply #1233 on: 2012-05-31 03:44:08 »
Did so. Still not getting past the EIDOS logo.

INFO: Original resolution 640x480, window size 1280x960, output resolution 1280x960, internal resolution 1280x960
INFO: FFMpeg version SVN-r21874, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
INFO: No shaders, codecs with YUV output will be slow.
INFO: Loading external library FF7anyCD.dll
LOCK UNLOCK TEST
MATRIX INITIALIZE
INITIALIZE DD/D3D END
ERROR: could not open file C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\ff7input.cfg
initializing sound...
reading audio file
loading static sounds
sound initialized
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF CREDITS!!!
INFO: C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\movies\eidoslogo.avi; indeo5/pcm_s16le 640x480, 30.000000 FPS, duration: 12.933333, frames: 388
END OF CREDITS!!!
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF MENU SYSTEM!!!

As if something's wrong with the main menu.

duarian

• View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: 2012-05-31 04:19:15 »
The sad thing is...it seems like there arent any repeated errors with this thing. What I thought was bootleg installing things wrong was actually just EVGA Precision. For whatever reason you cannot run MSI afterburner or EVGA precision with FF7 or you will get nothing but a black screen.

After I figured that out I needed the EVERYTHING IS WHITE!! fix. Now everything worked 100%. No errors in my bootleg log what so ever.

I however still am waiting for 0039 too start a new game. :D

strife98

• Global moderator
  • Doink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: 2012-05-31 14:50:40 »
Found out something interesting. I don't know if it's a bug with Bootleg or with the Load Anywhere mod itself, but if you hit ctrl+L in the middle of a conversation it brings up the menu. I found it out while trying to restart before fighting the first Hojo specimen when you get Red XIII. It opened the menu with Red XIII in my party (this is even before I named him) and he was level 1. I was able to equip him with a Carbon Bangle and give him more materia. When I got into the fight, he wasn't level 1 anymore (just a guess from his increased health) and he had the materia I gave him. Granted is was quite a helpful bug, and not really a serious bug, but I figured I would bring it up.

sarikuya

« Reply #1236 on: 2012-05-31 15:26:56 »
So, to add onto my last error log...

I reinstalled FF7 from scratch, full install, on drive G:/.
Made sure the folders had full permissions.
Turned the computer onto SAFE MODE to make sure nothing else was running.
Made sure both Bootleg programs had 'run as Administrator' picked.
Ran Bootleg config, set to 'Minimal.'
Waited for it to patch, no errors.
Exited safe mode, rebooted computer.
Ran Bootleg launcher as administrator.

Now this is the odd part: If I'm not directly in the window, I can watch the game get through the menu credits and to the select screen. However if I click on the actual window to start playing it immediately crashes.

Also, I'm confused. If I let it install the FF7Music, am I suppose to use the Bootleg's launcher, or the music launcher? Neither works, but I wanted to ask.

I'm at my wit's end, so I'm uninstalling this for now and going back to Remix, since it actually was playable for me. I'll give you my very last APP log for future reference:

ERROR: failed to set fullscreen mode
INFO: OpenGL 2.0 support detected
INFO: Using PBO
INFO: Original resolution 640x480, window size 640x480, output resolution 640x480, internal resolution 2560x1920
INFO: FBO extension detected, using fast scaling/postprocessing path
INFO: Shader limits: varying 60, vert uniform 4096, frag uniform 2048
INFO: FFMpeg version SVN-r25886, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
INFO: Loading external library Multi.dll
LOCK UNLOCK TEST
MATRIX INITIALIZE
INITIALIZE DD/D3D END
ERROR: could not open file e:\games\ff7\ff7input.cfg
initializing sound...
reading audio file
loading static sounds
sound initialized
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF CREDITS!!!
INFO: e:\games\ff7\movies\eidoslogo.avi; indeo5/pcm_s16le 640x480, 30.000000 FPS, duration: 12.933333, frames: 388
END OF CREDITS!!!
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF MENU SYSTEM!!!

I've tried, what, six times now to install this silly thing and I get the exact same results, whether or not it's on its default path, I set the config to safe mode, or whatever. I'm disappointed since I REALLY WANT TO PLAY WITH THIS PATCHER.
« Last Edit: 2012-05-31 15:29:32 by sarikuya »

saftle

• View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: 2012-05-31 15:43:35 »
I've tried, what, six times now to install this silly thing and I get the exact same results, whether or not it's on its default path, I set the config to safe mode, or whatever. I'm disappointed since I REALLY WANT TO PLAY WITH THIS PATCHER.

I can help if you want. I've literally installed FF7and Bootleg around 20 times this week, trying out different combinations of mods and installing it for friends.

I would make a video using Cam Studio (free). I would record the entire installation, starting with installing FF7, the bootleg configuration throughout all the tabs, list of mods showing all being green/yellow, the bootleg patch process up until the end, and the configuration being setup within the Bootloader itself after the installation.

Then you can compress it in a 7zip file (it compresses Camstudio videos very well) and upload it wherever. Mediafire for example.

Here are also a few tips that helped me.

1. Before the installation, set the setup.exe, under properties, in the compatibility tab to: WIN XP SP2, and set it to "Run as Administrator"
2. You already said that you installed it under G:\Games\ff7, which is good since it won't be installed in any Windows created directory.
3. Before launching Bootleg, be sure to set Bootleg.exe AND BFE.exe to run as administrator (also in the compatibility tab under properties).
4. After Launching Bootloader, and clicking "HDR Settings" (noticed that your graphics card can easily handle this). Change the resolution to your native windows resolution and then hit "Write CFG"

Here are also a few bugs that I've read that could possibly cause problems. I'm not sure that it could cause problems in your scenario though.

1. Installing Multi Game Modes can cause problems. I personally ended up just playing it on Normal, but ended up getting at least one Hardcore fight oddly enough.
2. If you are using the multi-part Facepalmer.zip and opened BFE.exe in more than one Windows session before installing Bootleg Configurator, Facepalmer may not correctly get installed.

Also, just to be safe.

1. Install the newest NVidia Driver in Clean Mode, so that your old NVidia driver gets uninstalled rather than just replaced.
2. Delete all Codecs on your machine (not sure if that can cause conflicts with FF7, however who needs codecs anymore when there is VLC or MPC available)

I hope this helps.

Edit: Added a few more tips.
« Last Edit: 2012-05-31 16:03:10 by saftle »

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: 2012-05-31 15:50:06 »
Try running the game in a window.  Disable fullscreen mode.

sarikuya

« Reply #1239 on: 2012-05-31 16:50:25 »
... Actually I seem to have found a backwards fix for this.

I went ahead and copied out the 64bitpostinstall.bat from the Remix patch, and after letting Bootleg install, I dropped it in the FF7 folder, ran the .bat, and now my game is working flawlessly, with all of the Bootleg features enabled.

I'm sure this is a non-supported fix, but I'm not seeing any further problems, and can even run in a window.

Edit: ... alright, I've narrowed the problem down, now.

WITH that loaded the way I mentioned above, I can now get into actual gameplay. Opening my menu, though... crash. So this is an incompatibility with the menu system in Bootleg. I've tried replacing the GUI with a freshly downloaded version (Team Avalanche's, of course) and it didn't fix the problem.

I tried again without ticking the 'overhaul' box in Bootleg's front end... to no success.
Is there a way to just not install the GUI at all? Such as, leave it outside of the mod source folder when I run the front end and install? That's what's crashing me.
« Last Edit: 2012-05-31 23:37:11 by sarikuya »

Psychosonata

« Reply #1240 on: 2012-06-01 04:13:47 »
Hello,

Been watching the FF7 modding for a long time, finally have everything (PC game!) to make it happen.

Did a clean install, running into an issue with bootleg that I can't seem to sort out. It gets all the way to Updating Remix files, then Repairing damaged battle models, says it copied some files, then appears to halt.

Repairing Damaged Battle Models...
8 File(s) copied
14 File(s) copied
1 File(s) copied
3 File(s) copied

It's possible I did something wrong, but unsure. Did a clean max installation. Did not install to a non-system folder, trying that next.

Brat Code: 01100601020011100011201100111

Any assistance would be appreciated. If it's just a really LOOOOOONNNG step, that would help to know as well, since I get impatient with it after about 20 minutes and try again :(

EDIT: Non-system folder made no difference. Also forgot to note: Win7 x64

Hey there,

Could you detail how you resolved this problem? I'm running into the same issue; Windows 7 32-bit, installed to C:\FF7.

Fischkopf

• View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: 2012-06-01 11:33:17 »
If i want every available mod, do i need the unified model installer as well or just this?

wind

• View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: 2012-06-01 15:17:10 »
If i want every available mod, do i need the unified model installer as well or just this?

Just this one. Those models are included in this process.

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: 2012-06-01 15:30:38 »
Psychosonata,
There's a problem with paths that contain spaces.
Make sure the mod path, installation path and temp path do not have any spaces.
This issue is fixed for the upcoming 0039 release.

Dakanaka

« Reply #1244 on: 2012-06-01 19:25:44 »
I'm having trouble getting some of the specific mods in the list.

Any of the ones on adf.ly (ff7music_install_15113.exe  and   OSTRe.7z) says the user is getting too much traffic and have been shut down temporarily, but its been like this every time I try.

The link for MO.exe gets an Error 404 whenever I click it.

Are there any alternate places to download these items? Thanks for any help you can offer.
« Last Edit: 2012-06-01 19:31:04 by Dakanaka »

wind

• View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: 2012-06-01 19:31:22 »
I'm having trouble with Trish(aka Mike)_s custom model pack.7z  I download it like all the others, put it in the same folder but for some reason, it will not recognize it is there and go from red -> green.

Be sure your file name is the same as what is shown in the mod list. This is a common problem for this file.

Dakanaka

« Reply #1246 on: 2012-06-01 19:35:24 »
Yea. I realized that almost immediately after I posted since I have to manually look at the file name and then look at what had gone into the folder :P  Thanks for the help though

duarian

• View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: 2012-06-02 02:59:22 »
Can't wait for 0039! Any idea when we can expect it? :D. Not rushing obviously.

You should paypal it up so you can accept donations. I know I for one would donate too your cause of working on this great program!

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: 2012-06-02 03:24:25 »
not that PB has ever asked for or suggested donations... but there's a lot more work than just his that has gone into all these mods, so it would be totally out of whack for him to get paid for it

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: 2012-06-02 13:49:22 »
Is there any mod other than Lost Wing that lets you PHS sephiroth?