Miscellaneous Forums > Troubleshooting

Running FFVII in WINE (Linux)

<< < (3/4) > >>

sithlord48:
wine 1.4 is pretty nice :P the audio is much easer to set up basicly nothing other then the ff7 config program. as someone noted above the audio panel from wine 1.3+ has changed from the above layout. at some point (hopefully soon) i will recreate the how to using an updated wine and linux distro.

quequotion:
Having a linux only system, I was very happy to discover about three years ago that FF7 was functional in WINE after a series of hacks and configuration changes.

Since I've been using linux for years, command line hacks and text file configurations have become commonplace for me.

Imagine my surprise when I install FF7 in wine1.5.... and it practically works out of the box.

OUT OF THE BOX... (practically)

If you are a wizard, by which I mean someone who can compile wine from git and configure alsa drivers from regedit, read no further.

"Practically", meaning that:
1. Aali's OpenGL driver must be considered absolutely necessary to run the program on any kind of modern computer anyway.
2. MIDI is a nightmare all it's own, but considerably more manageable these days than it used to be.

In fact, I didn't even try running the game without Aali's driver. That test should be done, eventually.
FF7's MIDI audio was the most troublesome aspect of the game for me, but that has a lot to do with my particular hardware.

You could read the rest of my post, or you could read just what I had to to here.

I have an emu10k1, SoundBlaster Audigy Live! 5.1.
This is a cheap 5.1 surround card with an onboard MIDI synthesizer.
Using a software synthesizer, like timidity++, is probably much easier!

I had installed WINE from a launchpad PPA (in ubuntu obviously).
For political(?) reasons, the Ubuntu WINE Team PPA is distributing wine with an unofficial pusleaudio driver by default.
I really shouldn't get into it here, but suffice to say the wine devs aren't quite ready to face the inevitability of pulseaudio support.

The winepulse.drv audio driver does not support any kind of MIDI ouptut as far as I can tell.
This is a problem with Pulseaudio, not the driver itself.
There may be ways around this, but I spent 48 hours searching for any kind of documentation or bug reports or anything and came up empty-handed.

Pulseaudio does not support midi, but it can output midi audio from an ALSA source.
You will have to use winealsa.drv for the time being.

The best way to get there is with winetricks:
--- Code: ---winetricks sound=alsa
--- End code ---
This allowed me to run FF7Config.exe and the game itself, which require a MIDI device of some kind.

Unfortunately, winealsa is no longer offering a pulseaudio output pathway by default in winecfg.
It will setup audio to use the sound card through alsa directly? in which PCM sounds terrible for reasons beyond my understanding.

It is necessary to set up a pulseudio pathway manually in regedit, winecfg, and FF7Config.
See my post in the ubuntu forums for an idea of what to do.

Skillmon @R+:
The change to alsa worked for me (only for FFVII), but the game is asking for CD 1, 2 or 3 to be insert, even if CD 1 is inside the drive. So I still can't run it (but sound works fine in FF7config). Another problem is, that when I want to try MIDI in the FF7config there are no sounds and the program freezes. This issue is just in the MIDI section.

Since I changed the driver to ALSA in WINE the sounds of Diablo 2 are crappy, anybody who knows a solution?

I'm using WINE 1.5.5 in Ubuntu 12.04
During installation the command sh winetricks didn't work!

--- Quote ---corefonts
   directx9
   ffdshow (use defaults and allow for all programs when asked for video and audio)
   vcrun2008
   mfc4
--- End quote ---
those weren't inside of my winetricks
glxgears was no problem!

please help me! I'm very new to Ubuntu

Skillmon

rufioik708:
I had the same issue with the CD thing. I had to do two things to fix it. Make sure the path to my CD mount point was in winecfg (the auto detect worked fine for me). When that didn't work, I remembered having the issue when I first played FF7 for pc, and had to run regedit to change the location that the game looked for the CD (I hope to never actually have so many drives that I need a Z:\). The key is in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII. Hope it helps.

quequotion:

--- Quote from: Skillmon @R+ on 2012-06-14 09:34:14 ---The change to alsa worked for me (only for FFVII), but the game is asking for CD 1, 2 or 3 to be insert, even if CD 1 is inside the drive. So I still can't run it (but sound works fine in FF7config). Another problem is, that when I want to try MIDI in the FF7config there are no sounds and the program freezes. This issue is just in the MIDI section.

Since I changed the driver to ALSA in WINE the sounds of Diablo 2 are crappy, anybody who knows a solution?

I'm using WINE 1.5.5 in Ubuntu 12.04
During installation the command sh winetricks didn't work!those weren't inside of my winetricks
glxgears was no problem!

please help me! I'm very new to Ubuntu

Skillmon

--- End quote ---

I have good news for you:

First, MIDI has been fixed in winepulse!
This means anyone installing FF7 in a clean install of wine 1.5 (from the wine team ppa) will have no extra work to do other than installing Aali's OpenGL driver.

For those of you who took my advice before:
You can use regedit to revert HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Drivers string value Audio to pulse.

Second: CDEmu

I converted all of my FF7 cds into ISO images, and use this utility to mount and swap them.

This tool is different from others in that it actually works.

There are features of cds, like certain types of copy protection, that cannot be provided by simply mounting an image to a folder.
CDEmu works by not simply mounting the images to a folder and providing the files, but emulating a disk drive and a cd inserted into it.

Strangely, very few of the many guides I've seen around for mounting images in Linux acknowledge this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version