Author Topic: FF7 Steam - Windows 10/Steam File Verification - Patching Problems  (Read 4111 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
A user was having an issue with patching FF7 Steam on Windows 10, but not having the OS myself I'm limited in what I can do to trouble-shoot the problem. We tried skipping the patch altogether and directly replacing the files but, again, the game was not modded when ran and seemingly had reverted back to default.

Is there any kind of file verification going on with either Steam or Windows 10 that people have encountered in the past, and/or potential fixes for it? I thought it might have been a language thing but they've confirmed it to be the English version.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
steam hasn't got any problem with files being altered... apart from the launcher.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
So I guess it's Windows or anti-virus then?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Yeah, my guess is it's something like that.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Is the game installed in Program Files or Program Files (x86)? That's just begging for trouble thanks to UAC.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
steam hasn't got any problem with files being altered... apart from the launcher.

You can replace the launcher with whatever you want. Steam only seems to look if the files are started in the correct manner. So if the replaced launcher starts ff7_en.exe everything works fine. Except the achievements of course.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
you can't alter the launcher to run another exe.  If you hex edit it to look for another name, it just wont do it.  That's what I meant.  :)
« Last Edit: 2017-03-07 07:00:22 by DLPB »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
Ah sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I upgraded the steam version to the better original version. I renamed 7H as the launcher and ff7.exe to ff7_en.exe. After that I could start the game through Steam with no complications. This way the game works with the Steam overlay and with its correct content for the game.
However, I'm not sure how steam gets the info if an achievement is unlocked or not, maybe it reads out the achievement file in the saves or it gets it from the SE-server. Or it does read it from both.

the_randomizer85

• View Profile
Is the game installed in Program Files or Program Files (x86)? That's just begging for trouble thanks to UAC.

Or just turn off UAC altogether. It's useless and invasive anyway.