Author Topic: [SPOILERS] FF7 remake discussion time!  (Read 105634 times)

-Ric-

• View Profile
Re: [SPOILERS] FF7 remake discussion time!
« Reply #100 on: 2020-04-11 01:20:32 »
-Ric- Your inflammatory responses to other peoples posts are bordering on a warning. Check yourself before I have to.

If broke any rules and/or you feel a warning status is justified, just do it. I stand by everything I've said.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-11 01:44:06 by -Ric- »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 2020-04-11 02:05:29 »
Its not what you say its how you say it. But fine. I will keep that in mind next time i was considering a warning

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 2020-04-11 03:27:28 »
Its not what you say its how you say it.

That's a fair criticism. I'll try to be less of an ass.

Izban

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 2020-04-11 03:28:46 »
I'm 20 something hours in, so far the remake is in my opinion great, story arc hasn't changed much so far, has been an enjoyable experience

Gameplay, early game is pretty well square to win until specific encounters, the further in you get the less viable it gets, like you definitely need to use magic and build stagger to have any success getting wiped by basic mobs is a new experience, but is more of an inconvenience due to the rez pre-failed battle and saving anywhere, each character plays very different and have a specific archetype in mind, overall I feel its definitely a RPG game over an action game.while being a tad linear so far it feels pretty open

Story wise the changes I've ran into have come into a 3 categories, filling out plot points which the majority have been handles well, the watchmen of fate ass-pulls that really could of been left out and it would of improved my experience and character building moments which overall haven't been bad, disagreeable to some but not underlyingly bad.

Manakaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 2020-04-11 10:54:34 »
i second this that sounds entertaining

Caledor

• [ITA]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #105 on: 2020-04-11 16:31:48 »
Video is fully in italian but here's some more quotes:

• Don't want FF7 Re-connect nor FF7 0.2
  • I'd be ok if a flashback from a certain library lasted 5 hours instead of 10 minutes, but WITHOUT (emphasis) wings popping from anywhere, petals, feathers, chains and crosses
  • If they start adding stuff from Dirge of Cerberus or Advent Children you'll se me on the newspapers. Japanese ones.
  • Answer to above: No. It can't be. They must not dare.
  • But it there's a risk cause we know who's behind it.
  • Can't wait for when we'll redo this live "after". I have a feeling Aligi (one of the trio) will be on a transoceanic flight to Japan. (laughter ensues)
  • Aligi answers: if i can't due to the quarantine i'll swim to Japan
  • Compilation is a bastardization of the original.
  • I'm worried about seeing too much forced, "thrown to your face" foreshadowing.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #106 on: 2020-04-11 17:14:44 »
The foreshadowing bit is definitely true. Even the intro has foreshadowing.

epsilon

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 2020-04-11 19:37:06 »
Its not what you say its how you say it.

Really? So let us take this gem:

I mean, we got socially awkward, on the spectrum, basement virgins debating if Aerith is innocent or slutty... WTF!

And sure, Sephiroth is a transgender super soldier far less manly than y'all. You extremely macho folks.  :roll:

This thread is a hilarious pool of tears. And the salt... Oh my. I love it.

Stay triggered my friends, stay triggered.

Suppose I had responded: "I imagine the sense of humor varies. Personally I find it hilarious that a eunuch frog in a cape, that does not even rise to the indignity of being a basement wanker, is triggered by watching others getting triggered." The problem would be the tone or the content?

Look, I have no problems with insults flying and exploding everywhere. I have been in forums where it is a real jungle, and I dished it as much as I took. I am a big boy, so it is no skin off my back. At the same time -- and this is a purely personal reflection -- I am trying to tone down my natural aggressiveness to better reflect what I actually believe in, but let's not paper over it calling it "the way you said" when of course there were real insults.

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 2020-04-11 19:54:37 »
Suppose I had responded: "I imagine the sense of humor varies. Personally I find it hilarious that a eunuch frog in a cape, that does not even rise to the indignity of being a basement wanker, is triggered by watching others getting triggered."

If that's the best you could come up with, I would not be offended, just amused. You tried way too hard and missed all the marks. Unless, of course, you just wanted to offend the Android mascot for the sake of it.

Oh well. We all love a trier eh. Please do better though.

I have been in forums where it is a real jungle, and I dished it as much as I took.

Cool flex boy. Highly intimidating.

I am trying to tone down my natural aggressiveness.

Yeah, boy. It's all that testosterone in you. You big, bad, mean, agressive boy. "ME HULK ME SMASH"  :roll:  :roll:

I swear I'm trying to be nicer.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-11 20:13:01 by -Ric- »

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 2020-04-11 20:14:49 »
On topic...

Spoiler: show
My Lord. They made Jessie THIRSTY in this remake. She's borderline sexually harassing Cloud. LOL
"Mind coming over for a while tomorrow night? My roommates should all be out for a while".
« Last Edit: 2020-04-11 20:30:54 by -Ric- »

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 2020-04-11 21:08:37 »
I'm on chapter 9, 15 hours in and loving it, even the changes I've seen so far. A few of the music tracks are interesting remixes, like the Ska/hip hop mix at the start of chapter 9.

Meical

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 2020-04-11 21:29:35 »
Anyone else disappointed in the Remake after having played it?  Made it to Chapter 9, and I'm already down playing.

epsilon

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 2020-04-11 21:38:09 »
Oh well. We all love a trier eh. Please do better though.

It is hard to disagree with you here, and yet, for all its poorness, it is still infinitely wittier than your puerile schoolyard taunting.

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 2020-04-11 21:47:49 »
It is hard to disagree with you here, and yet, for all its poorness, it is still infinitely wittier than your puerile schoolyard taunting.

*yawn*

I'm on chapter 9, 15 hours in and loving it, even the changes I've seen so far. A few of the music tracks are interesting remixes, like the Ska/hip hop mix at the start of chapter 9.

Some of the new tracks are pretty meh. I'm in love with the combat system though. And damn, I'm still on chapter 4, 8 hours in.

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 2020-04-11 21:54:32 »
Yes, ignore me like the guy that has replied to me like 6 times in this thread does. Hopefully at least I don't give you anxiety like I do to him and don't make you private message people to vent and report posts.

And yes, I'm absolutely on a crusade to defend something I gain absolutely nothing by defending.  :roll: Compare my number of posts about it to yours and do tell who's on a crusade. Shite. I even just criticized some of the soundtrack right before you decided to showcase your spectacular IQ. My previous post was also a criticism on Jessie's character.

Normal people don't go on crusades defending/bashing pieces of software that cost 50 bucks. Not that you would know anything about being normal.

I'm done with you both. Lay your silly baits to rest and I'll lay my mockery of you to rest as well.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-11 22:14:42 by -Ric- »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 2020-04-11 22:04:45 »
Really? So let us take this gem:

Suppose I had responded: "I imagine the sense of humor varies. Personally I find it hilarious that a eunuch frog in a cape, that does not even rise to the indignity of being a basement wanker, is triggered by watching others getting triggered." The problem would be the tone or the content?

Look, I have no problems with insults flying and exploding everywhere. I have been in forums where it is a real jungle, and I dished it as much as I took. I am a big boy, so it is no skin off my back. At the same time -- and this is a purely personal reflection -- I am trying to tone down my natural aggressiveness to better reflect what I actually believe in, but let's not paper over it calling it "the way you said" when of course there were real insults.

Did you not read what I said? Its called a warning. Its like you didnt even read the post i sent him before. But feel free to criticise my moderation. I have thicker skin than you do and can guarantee I will be around longer.

Mabinog

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 2020-04-11 22:39:46 »
I'm with a lot of other people here in saying that the story changes are making me scratch my head, particularly the stuff with Sephiroth and the ghosts. But I'm enjoying the actual game quite a bit. Combat is very fun. Even just walking around the slums and doing quests was kinda cool. I'm only on chapter 4 so I'm looking forward to what comes next.

epsilon

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 2020-04-11 22:57:14 »
Post deleted by me -- nothing interesting in it.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-11 23:10:53 by epsilon »

Izban

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 2020-04-12 03:36:04 »
33hrs in and still learning the combat system, they have done an amazing job at timing the roll out of new mechanics.

Only criticisms so far are, mostly minor, -map loading on older hardware isn't always smooth, -watchmen of fate(they add nothing so far), -/+ weapon upgrade flavours need better variety and tradeoffs.

So far the only gameplay issue I have had is that there is no penalty for poor weapon builds, 100gil to clear upgrades and start again removes the weight of choosing what to select, they could of made it so selecting a +atkp locks out a +matkp so the building process was strategic or put a tighter limit on sp, at the moment it's just stack add socket, then +atkp or +matkp then +HP, as at the moment +D,+SD,+MD are trash on normal could get amazing on hard, but on normal dps outweighs everything else.

Fury is still beast, spectral cogwheel and transference module are amazing trinkets, and good lord limits are useful as all hell as a oh crap button, just kinda bummed you don't get to see them super often

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 2020-04-12 05:09:31 »
« Last Edit: 2021-10-28 15:27:04 by dkma841 »

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 2020-04-12 05:20:59 »
Jk game's awesome better than FF15 too imo

15 gives me hope that 7R will have a world map. Or at least a gigantic open world. Hopefully without those INSANELY bad loading times though.

Mendelevium

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 2020-04-12 05:22:56 »
Though I have not played it myself, I've watched a good friend of mine stream it from beginning to end. I am not a big fan of some of the little things that pop up in the game, but on the all the game seems to have a lot of effort put into. I just don't think Nomura is a very good director or writer. All the good things in this remake I am sure are in spite of him not because of him. He works best in a team that put chains on him. I am not bothered by the flashy combat, in fact parts of it look quite deep compared other games in the genre. I am just not a big fan of how spongey the enemies look.

I think the notion of it being a cash in is only part of the picture. A lot of effort and love went into making it. They were trying to please someone. It doesn't come across like some of the previous FF7 compilation pieces. At least to me.

I certainly wish we got mostly a 1 to 1 remake, but some of the expanded content and reemphasis on exploration of the expanded zones, I can't lie is very cool feeling. And certainly tickles the nostalgia. Looking up the skybox certainly is breathtaking, because it gives you the scale of midgar which is something the original couldn't do in a single frame (not to say the scale felt small in the original, because it didn't. The game felt f-ing massive).

A lot of the side quests look like blatant padding, but overall I'm impressed with the moment to moment stuff. Though I do wish they'd tone down some of the Nomura-isms, but it's no Advent Children at all. Things being cool for the sake of being cool is less common.

Now to get into my thoughts into stuff that are pure spoilers.

Spoiler: show
I am not sure I can get behind this "alternate timeline" thing. And ghosts of fate. At best I can ignore it, at worst it's so in my face it becomes annoying. I'd actually claim that the game is amazing looking for the most part up until the ending. The twist really comes off as Nomura trying to put his personal stamp on the project, rather than honor the original. Which could be cool if done correctly, but it wasn't advertised this way at all. I also don't trust Nomura when it comes to depth. He has the habit of treating his audience both like idiots and the smartest people alive, simultaneously explaining everything while explaining nothing at all. And now that the game can go into any direction because the timeline has been altered I am not sure I am that interested in what is bound to be a Nomura fueled story, rather than faithfully sticking to the original and expanding. I might be proven wrong, who knows.

So the whole thing has left me feeling mixed. I loved reliving my childhood nostalgia for a bit, but it just kind of fell flat for me personally. However, I don't think that in anyway invalidates the opinions of people who love it. More power to you :).

« Last Edit: 2020-04-12 08:28:27 by Mendelevium »

Az

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 2020-04-12 06:58:35 »
Nobody’s rating should matter to you except for your own. If anything, it’ll offer extra insight, but it’s definitely not meant to persuade you or others to think differently. Learn that and you’ll avoid getting worked up over these “discussion” threads.
I agree. You should form your own opinions based on your own experiences. The people running this hate campaign for the remake in here haven't even played the game themselves and are basing their opinions on seeing a few minutes worth of footage of a 40+ hour game and are desperately searching for confirmation bias that supports their views, something befitting a 12 year old, not grown men who consider themselves to be intellectuals. It doesn't have to be one extreme or the other. Let's not act like children.

NxK

• In AI I Trust
    • View Profile
    • YT
« Reply #123 on: 2020-04-12 09:52:00 »
As to the overwhelming amount of positive reviews from professional reviewers, faithfulness to the original is not a criterion that critics apply or care about. Therefore, to them, how much FF7R sticks to the original plot, is probably of no importance. To be honest, I am not sure how many of them would even be able to tell whether it does or not stick to the original plot and to what degree. So, by completely discarding any considerations as to how closely this game really does resemble the original release from 1997 in terms of overall story or atmosphere, one might be able to understand how these reviewers come to their conclusions and consequently to their rave reviews.

The main problem, in my opinion, was the decision to split the Remake into several episodes. Maybe that’s the only way to feasibly do it, however, it does cause all kinds of issues that are glaringly obvious. In order to make this game palatable to people who have not played the original 1997 FF7, it must feel like a whole game to them, not one that only deals with the beginning, possibly not so exciting first quarter of the original game’s slew of events. As a result, the ending of FF7R probably has to have an ending and a final boss that awe the audience. I am afraid that this is why they did not choose Motorball as the final boss but something else. Even though Motorball may have been iconic in 1997, I don’t think it would have been something that would have felt like an inspiring end to this game for newcomers to FF7. One can clearly find elements of FF7 in FF7R that would only happen in FF7 at a much later point in the game. For instance, the final one-on-one scene between Sephiroth and Cloud, which is the very final fight of FF7, is now happening conveniently at the end of FF7R. I do wonder how they are trying to remake the rest of FF7, if they are already using up some of the most memorable moments you would not see in the original until much later in the game.

That even makes me wonder whether they are going to remake the rest of the game anyway. After all, this game is officially called “Final Fantasy VII Remake”, not “Final Fantasy VII Remake Episode I” or something similar. Assuming they did indeed intend to remake the rest of the original FF7 in additional episodes, wouldn’t it have made more sense to have called “Final Fantasy VII Remake” something like “Final Fantasy VII Remake Episode I”? Maybe they just did so for marketing purposes since, to be fair, pretending it’s a complete remake and hoping that some people might not have read about the episodic nature might boost sales. People who have never even played FF7 would, and I am really just guessing here, probably be more likely to spend money on what they expect to turn out as a whole game experience rather than a mere part to what they think might be only a first part to a trilogy or maybe even a tetralogy.

But maybe the naming “Final Fantasy VII Remake” was entirely intentional as the next episode will dramatically swerve from what would have been the second part of the original FF7. Based on the allusions in the ending of  FF7R, it seems not unreasonable to present this as the base case for what is going to be the next installment in the FF7R series.

The Black-caped Man

• The time........has come........!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 2020-04-12 10:39:53 »
The people running this hate campaign for the remake in here haven't even played the game themselves and are basing their opinions on seeing a few minutes worth of footage of a 40+ hour game and are desperately searching for confirmation bias that supports their views, something befitting a 12 year old, not grown men who consider themselves to be intellectuals. It doesn't have to be one extreme or the other. Let's not act like children.

So first you say only respect your own opinion and then you go on shitting on everybody who hates this game calling them 12 year olds? ::)

Why would we have to spend tons of money for smth we know we don't like? And as far as I remember none of us tried to even expertly criticize detailed things we would only know after playing the game. We criticize first and foremost that its not a Remake, its a shit on the originals story and every major plot event and that is fact, or would you argue one has to play it to know that when its all right there in the cutscenes? Certainly not. And that is not what we expected or wanted. So why on earth is criticism not justified in that regard?

Also it is well known that the combat system is action based, not ATB like in the original. This is known for years now. If ppl (like us) don't like these things in general or at least not in a Final Fantasy, considering this was not like this in the original, then again criticism is justified.

Btw with about the same validity could we say that the ppl spending 60+ bucks on this game and like that shit are 12 year olds, not grown men who expect a game to have actual thought through design, balance, story-telling, character development, etc.

That you like this game is good for you but stop acting so high and mighty and condescending towards ppl that don't. Their opinion is just as valid as yours and is not based on things they do not know as all aspects that were criticized are directly there in the game, not made up or exaggerated. There is time travel, there is characters that don't die but should have, there is matrix like drama scenes that are just over the top you can watch them on youtube, there is major flaws in that new story that just doesn't make any kind of sense with the original. It's all there and wasn't made up by us. It was made up by Nomura.

If any, this is the forum of highest quality reviews and opinions of Final Fantasy games and RPGs in general. These are ppl that spent their life modding these games, playing them hundreds of times over and over again, discovering new stuff, and just thinking about these games and its characters, their reason to be and say smth, their behaviour in certain occasions more than anybody else in the world. And certainly more than the devs.

Todays game design consists mostly of graphics and I can tell you because this eats most of the programming work as it is BY FAR the most complex and tedious part when programming a game(as smbd with a degree in just that department of computer science you can take my word). The maths and work behind Ray tracing, multiple reflections, real time animations is OUTRAGEOUS. That's why the companies need most and their best ppl to work on that. And then it's natural that there is just not much personel left for actual story-writing and thinking these things through. Also at some point when you spent months/years until the animations look so real HD like in FF7R then your investors wanna see results and finally publish smth and make money. And what can you impress them most with at a press conference? Right, it's GRAPHICS because that's what every fat business idiot can see and judge wether it's good or not. That's what makes money and keeps companies alive. Sadly. This explains the strictly monotonous downward curve of stories and the strictly monotonous upward curve of graphics in games in the last 20 years. Ppl growing up with that or the ones that just weren't touched so emotionally by the RPGs of the 90s and early 2000s might not care and get used to the new era of gaming but others, like many in here, cannot.

And if after all these years a company promises an HD remake of the most iconic game in video game history that has touched us more than any other game, and the outcome is tons of stuff completely made up, probably made up on the spot because it just looks cool in a scene, altered story scripts and what not then yes, then we do not like this game and want to talk to others about this that feel the same. That is why we post here and we're entitled to. If you think the majority here are 12 year olds that just hate because they like hating...then why would you wanna post here? You don't seem attached to the forum in any way so why care? It seemed to be so important to just insult a lot of ppl here that you needed to do it......Do you see any of us going to forums/reviews of ppl where the majority likes the game and shitting on it? I for myself do not do that.