Author Topic: Portable FF7 PC?  (Read 23187 times)

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
Re: Portable FF7 PC?
« Reply #25 on: 2012-04-06 10:56:14 »
Give me a bit of time, I might be able to make something that, for all intents and purposes, SEEMS completely portable (will copy its own files/registry entries, play the game, and even temporarily rename its own drive, and then eliminate any trace of itself except for locally stored save files afterwards). It's not quite a perfect solution, but it should make the game functionally as good as portable.

Obviously, If I do this, I would require the original discs on setup to keep some semblance of antipiracy in there, and to ensure valid source files.

That would be so cool! Would we be able to play in a psp? But the size with all those upscaled textures would be vast..  ???
« Last Edit: 2012-04-06 10:58:02 by Leonhart7413 »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2012-04-06 20:30:51 »
That would be so cool! Would we be able to play in a psp? But the size with all those upscaled textures would be vast..  ???
No, it would still require Windows, and generally behave like an installed copy of the game. In computer software, "Portable" does not refer to running on portable systems, but being able to move from one machine to another and keep your data intact. For example, I could play the game from a USB flash drive on my home PC, save my game, bring my flash drive to work and play there, with my save intact, get fired for gaming at work, and then go home and keep playing, all from the flash drive, without leaving behind any remnants or evidence it was ever there.

Of course, the method I have in mind isn't truly a portable application, it just fakes it. Essentially what it would do is install the game's FILES to the flash drive on initial setup, and then run the game with a launcher that would install all the needed registry settings and whatnot, and then revert them when you're done playing. It's a bit of a hefty workaround, but the user experience should be pretty much the same as a program which was actually DESIGNED to be portable. In fact, most of what I have in mind is not all that different from Cameyo that DLPB already posted, except that it would be specifically tailored to FF7PC, retain moddability, and give the user a bit more control if they want it.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2012-04-06 22:31:42 »
Would a solution like this work on windows systems where you don't have administrative access as well?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2012-04-06 22:41:56 »
Probably not, unfortunately.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #29 on: 2012-04-07 11:13:07 »
What about this ?
psx4droid run on zte blade
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJtUh_RMpo4&feature=plcp&context=C400ad09VDvjVQa1PpcFOdXVA-LW-q9RghWwq4cHWQBW3yueMBkjw=

Would it be possible to play with mods?

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2012-04-07 15:36:23 »
Playing without actual physical buttons really sucks.

What if you use something like VMWare ThinApp with windows XP.  There probably aren't video card drivers for an older OS.  I've read a few posts by people running FF7 successfully using VMWare.

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2012-04-07 21:11:03 »
What about this ?
psx4droid run on zte blade
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJtUh_RMpo4&feature=plcp&context=C400ad09VDvjVQa1PpcFOdXVA-LW-q9RghWwq4cHWQBW3yueMBkjw=

Would it be possible to play with mods?

You really don't get how this stuff works, do you?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2012-04-07 21:19:26 »
Playing without actual physical buttons really sucks.

What if you use something like VMWare ThinApp with windows XP.  There probably aren't video card drivers for an older OS.  I've read a few posts by people running FF7 successfully using VMWare.

aye cameyo is basically a freeware of that program.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2012-04-07 21:49:56 »
aye cameyo is basically a freeware of that program.

Is there anyway to stop Cameyo from leaving loads of files on your computer in the "C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\VOS" folder ? i tried making a few portableapps with Cameyo and was slightly annoyed that they left stuff on my computer (the point being i didn't want them leaving anything on my computer).
Am i just missing some very simple setting in Cameyo that leaves these files around ?
« Last Edit: 2012-04-07 22:04:57 by kranmer »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2012-04-07 22:02:49 »
Sorry misread that.  Not sure if you can set it to stop that but those files aren't needed.  At least I don't think so.

Jaki

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2012-04-08 04:22:49 »
« Last Edit: 2014-06-19 13:24:30 by Jaki »

PH03N1XFURY

• Team Tianix IF ITS THERE WE'LL FIND IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2012-04-12 09:04:59 »
they could be a way if you had a flashed psp i used to use a app that was windows on the psp (based on vista) that ran quite alot of programs i had load of different things on it like spotify and quicktime but saying that i never tryed a pc game with the app but i did play a back up of my ps1 version of ff7 and it played perfectly on my psp

zaphod77

• View Profile
    • Super Сasual Dating Real Women
« Reply #37 on: 2012-04-14 17:35:53 »
Well if you have a psp, you can play the psx version on the go with little difficulty, without pirating. :)

Unfortunately, it's kinda difficult to MOD that particular version. In fact i'm not sure it's possible.

I doubt the PSP has the power to emulate windows and a 3D card and run the PC version.

With custom firmware, and googlable tools you CAN mod your own fff7psx ISOS, then create an eboot that will run on your PSP.

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2012-04-14 17:44:03 »
Just an unrelated fact, but Windows 3.11 runs on the PSP via DosBox.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2012-04-14 20:01:08 »
Well can the beefy psvita handle it? I don't see why not with the specs but ofcourse still need to wait for a hack for it so we can emualate and do other crazy stuff :)

PH03N1XFURY

• Team Tianix IF ITS THERE WE'LL FIND IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2012-04-15 02:18:41 »
Well if you have a psp, you can play the psx version on the go with little difficulty, without pirating. :)

Unfortunately, it's kinda difficult to MOD that particular version. In fact i'm not sure it's possible.

I doubt the PSP has the power to emulate windows and a 3D card and run the PC version.

With custom firmware, and googlable tools you CAN mod your own fff7psx ISOS, then create an eboot that will run on your PSP.
i wasnt on about piracy and the psp does emulate windows i used to have the app on mine and i no you can play ps1 games on the psp as i have all mine on there and there is a mod project for ff7 psx its just not has advanced as the pc version