Author Topic: Thoughts on FFX for psp vita  (Read 23043 times)

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
Thoughts on FFX for psp vita
« on: 2011-12-14 04:36:04 »
Ok. Recently heard an announcement for FFX being ported to ps3 and psp vita and given an hd makeover.  :-\   

Ok while I do admit I would still play it, I also think wtf....seriously, they are porting FFX before remaking ff7. To me that is sorta backwards. But still if it is to prove the vita is as good as a ps2 is the only sense I can make of it. Still, hoping for a new ffvii or ffviii.

What's everyone else's thoughts on the recent announcement?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on FFX for psp vita
« Reply #1 on: 2011-12-14 04:53:36 »
It isn't really HD, it is just upscale mostly and is very easy to do compared with remaking FF7.  They want easy money and placing the letters HD on games does it these days.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-12-14 07:02:37 »
wtf....seriously, they are porting FFX before remaking ff7
Porting can be done fairly cheap. A few 2D assets will need remade so as not to look bad (mostly UI stuff like fonts), and some cutscenes will need re-prerendered, but this is a great way to make them money, and to make the game available to a not-insignificant number of gamers who simply don't own a PS2. FF7 is already available to PS3/PSP owners in the form of a PSN download, so is not in nearly as great need of a port.

A full-on remake (of ff7 or of any game), on the other hand, would cost quite a bit of money, take quite a bit of time, and would require entirely new assets. Not to mention, they stand a much greater risk of alienating their customer base, by making it too much like the original (which would anger people who want to see the game work with the retcons from later materials) or not enough like the original (which would anger people who don't want to see a classic tampered with).

From a business perspective, this makes more sense. That's not to say they'll NEVER remake ff7, but it would be foolish to put that kind of investment into something that they could possibly screw up and would divert resources from other major projects, without first exhausting cheaper, easier sources of income.

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-12-14 10:30:53 »
Porting can be done fairly cheap. A few 2D assets will need remade so as not to look bad (mostly UI stuff like fonts), and some cutscenes will need re-prerendered, but this is a great way to make them money, and to make the game available to a not-insignificant number of gamers who simply don't own a PS2. FF7 is already available to PS3/PSP owners in the form of a PSN download, so is not in nearly as great need of a port.

A full-on remake (of ff7 or of any game), on the other hand, would cost quite a bit of money, take quite a bit of time, and would require entirely new assets. Not to mention, they stand a much greater risk of alienating their customer base, by making it too much like the original (which would anger people who want to see the game work with the retcons from later materials) or not enough like the original (which would anger people who don't want to see a classic tampered with).

From a business perspective, this makes more sense. That's not to say they'll NEVER remake ff7, but it would be foolish to put that kind of investment into something that they could possibly screw up and would divert resources from other major projects, without first exhausting cheaper, easier sources of income.
True, and by some degrees I can understand this. But I mean, take a look at that fan-made unreal engine one. If novices could do that much without pay, imagine an actual development team! Either going classical with updated graphics or giving it a whole new makeover, they'll have my money. Heck pretty much as soon as that rumor of before crisis being ported to 3DS turns up true that'll be the only reason I buy a 3DS (main reason I bought a psp in the first place was for crisis core). I know I'm an FF7 whore. Same with FF8.

But I can understand the need for quick, cheaper, and easier income at the moment in Japan. With the tsunami and the bad economy it's a good business plan in order to stay up and running to get over that hump.

I mean I can see why they are going with sequels on some of the newer final fantasies and side stories as well. Recycling material and the same engine, with updates. Quicker and easier then starting from scratch. Can't blame them for that. But I'd like to see the investment they have on their recent games. I mean, even the other games like whatever that new one is called, "devils army corps" or something of that sort. And estimate in time and money what remaking FF7 would cost. At this point they could almost develop it for the ipad for crying out loud. At the very least they wont have to invest too much into the ff7 storyline. Although adding stuff to fill the gaps or interesting things from their older scripts (detective following avalanche anyone?).

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-12-14 14:18:58 »
It is nothing to do with the tsunami.  They started this policy long before, and it has been their policy to make easy money with lack luster games/rehashes for over 4 years.  Think FFX-2 (same engine and a cash in), cash in FF7 spin offs, gauntlet gameplay (FF13) and now "HD"

Squareenix sold out years ago.  They won't remake VII, they have already said in interviews that the time needed to remake FF7 is too great.  So they will stick to dumbed down games like 13 which have far less quality and content, but look pretty.

Other than that, you are stuck with cash ins and with upscales.
« Last Edit: 2011-12-14 14:22:06 by DLPB »

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 2011-12-14 16:46:58 »
Most people buy pretty and only care for pretty
Because most people are dumber than hamsters
And they won't learn. Ever.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #6 on: 2011-12-14 17:01:33 »
The prime time for remaking FFVII has come and gone.  If you were 12-15 when you played the original than you are probably between at least 22 and perhaps even 30 now.  Any remake at this point would undoubtedly be a major disappointment to any original players.  A VII remake now would be made exclusively for the Advent Childen and FFXIII fans.  Your fellow forum members have produced and will produce the only FFVII "Remakes" worth playing.

Cazador

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-12-14 17:07:29 »
We should leave FF7 where it belongs ps1 and pc.  I wanted a remake real bad for a while but I feel like they will only ruin it. :/

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-12-14 19:08:36 »
Most people buy pretty and only care for pretty
Because most people are dumber than hamsters
And they won't learn. Ever.

I realised some time ago that the reasons I enjoyed VII and the reasons most enjoyed VII are totally different.  I like VII for its gameplay, its story, its exploration, miniquests, minigames.  Graphics came second.  That's why I love Breath of Fire III.  But most seem to care about graphics and "seeing cloud and sephiroth fight in HD"

This generation are moronic.

metal89

« Reply #9 on: 2011-12-15 06:50:50 »
We should leave FF7 where it belongs ps1 and pc.  I wanted a remake real bad for a while but I feel like they will only ruin it. :/

hear  hear

but with so many mods, it's already been remade imho and on top of that, the story isn't ruined  :evil:

I'm playing it now and it's modded to hell   ;D

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: 2011-12-15 12:55:33 »
This generation are moronic.

Your face when the next generation will be even dumber
and the generation after the next generation YET even dumber
etc
in 2070, we'll be organic batteries for machines
oh wait

Roxas

• View Profile
    • ReBoot Revival
« Reply #11 on: 2011-12-15 19:42:10 »
*cough* http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12392.0 *cough*

Supposedly there is still talk about whether or not this will be a full remake, or a revamped/prettied up port to the PS3.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-12-17 18:34:34 »
It'll just be FFX pretty edition. Basically the same just with nicer models if your lucky.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011-12-17 18:37:30 »
We already know it's gonna be a prettied up port.

royalmurder

• View Profile
    • Ian Merryweather
« Reply #14 on: 2011-12-17 20:27:07 »
I hesitate to stick my neck out here, but I'm looking forward to this port a lot.
Hopefully, (and I do personally doubt this, but optimism can occasionally be good) they will fix blitzball and make it less linear.
And give me the option of not having the american voices...

But in general, I agree with the points brought across here. Most "gamers" these days are annoying eye-candy obsessed fools who can't even notice that the last three / four installments of "The most innovative game" are all just rehashes of each other  :| *cough*call of duty*cough*

Skopin

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-12-18 17:39:59 »
I'm hoping that this will be a full remake, including everything that was available in FFX International in the US version. I'm also hoping for them to redo the voice acting. Seeing as how FFX was their first attempt using real voices, it didn't come out the greatest (granted, a lot of it was really good, but it definitely could have been better). The voice acting has only gotten better since FFX, so I'm hoping they redo that.

It would be really disappointing if this was just a simple HD port, with them making the big announcement and making such a huge deal out of it. The one thing that gives me hope that it will be a full remake is the fact that it was announced as a 10th anniversary remake. I'm still waiting to hear more on it; I'm pretty excited about it.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-12-18 17:43:57 »
The voice acting has only gotten better since FFX

Vanille in XIII begs to differ with her annoying high pitched squeak in an Australian accent.

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011-12-18 19:02:00 »
Vanille in XIII begs to differ with her annoying high pitched squeak in an Australian accent.
Also
Irish/Scottish Cait Sith :shudder:

royalmurder

• View Profile
    • Ian Merryweather
« Reply #18 on: 2011-12-18 21:09:53 »
Scottish Cait Sith was hilarious, but didn't fit at all...
and Vanille... ugh. I just call her vanilla, and don't use her at all (:

But even Vanille is better than the american tidus. he's so annoying ¬__¬ and yuna. ugh.

Skopin

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2011-12-22 22:08:58 »

Haha, I'll give you that. But I think that had a lot to do with the writing.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2012-01-02 18:01:37 »
Final Fantasy X Remake Is Not Just A HD Update
comment iconWritten by Gary A. Swaby on January 2, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Square Enix producer Yoshinori Kitase has said the PS3 and Vita re-releases of Final Fantasy X aren’t just HD re-masters of the original PS2 release, but rather a “remake”. In an interview with M! Games Via Playstation Lifestyle Kitase said that the project which was revealed at TGS last September was in the early stages of development.

Kitase was a producer for the original FFX, so rest assured that the games magic will be preserved for the remake. I’m actually both happy and astounded that they are doing this, as it’s the first Final Fantasy game I really fell in love with. I know most people would love a Final Fantasy VII remake, but perhaps this is one further step in that direction (assuming it has the chance of ever happening).

Kitase’s upcoming project Final Fantasy XIII-2 releases at the end of this month (February 3rd for us) on the Xbox 360 and PS3. Look out for more coverage on the next Turn Based podcast.

Now lets hope for some online Blitz Ball.

Cazador

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2012-01-02 19:38:40 »
Yeah, from what I heard they are redoing it using the FF13 engine; rebuilding all the models from the ground up.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2012-01-02 19:43:09 »
I find it quite amusing tbh.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2012-01-02 21:45:29 »
Kitase was a producer for the original FFX, so rest assured that the games magic will be preserved for the remake.

Hmmm like FF7's magic has been preserved with the cash ins?   8-)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2012-01-02 22:20:58 »
Hmmm like FF7's magic has been preserved with the cash ins?   8-)
They haven't been remakes, though. A sequel and a remake are entirely different things. I've already explained this repeatedly.