Author Topic: New Field backgrounds/CG Cutscenes thread  (Read 180961 times)

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Field backgrounds/CG Cutscenes thread
« Reply #325 on: 2010-04-02 16:02:22 »
The most visited scene is the opening train platform. Even if you hate the game and only played it once, you have seen it.

I'm working on that one :P

P.S. the camera is most difficult to lign up.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: 2010-04-02 18:55:07 »
I'd say the most important thing would be to get the first section of the game done completely.

If you get, say, everything up to Cloud meeting Aeris done, or even everything from the Reactor 1 mission done, you'll be able to play a significant amount of the game with entirely high-res backgrounds and maybe even release a kind of "demo" patch. This will give a greater sense of progress, and therefore more motivation to complete the job, than just doing random scenes (or the most common scenes) from all over the game in no order and having nothing playable until the job is near completion. Since this project will take a very long time and involves remaking hundreds of scenes, motivation will be a big issue sooner or later.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: 2010-04-02 19:04:32 »
Well you better include the train scene. Since thats the one i already did lol.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: 2010-04-02 19:05:38 »
I'd say the most important thing would be to get the first section of the game done completely.

If you get, say, everything up to Cloud meeting Aeris done, or even everything from the Reactor 1 mission done, you'll be able to play a significant amount of the game with entirely high-res backgrounds and maybe even release a kind of "demo" patch. This will give a greater sense of progress, and therefore more motivation to complete the job, than just doing random scenes (or the most common scenes) from all over the game in no order and having nothing playable until the job is near completion. Since this project will take a very long time and involves remaking hundreds of scenes, motivation will be a big issue sooner or later.
This 1 million times

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: 2010-04-02 23:33:27 »

Thanks for the direction kudistos! Methinks we'll be going that route!

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #330 on: 2010-04-03 00:01:16 »
The only problem I see with this is that midgar needs to have consistency. Different modellers have different ways of doing things. And if Timu's working on Midgar, Are we all just gonna wait 'til he's done and then move onto the next thing? If we help out with Midgar, consistency is jeopardised, and even if we disregarded them, Lining up Midgar's gonna be hell when we've all got different parts of it.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: 2010-04-03 06:00:54 »
well, you can do things that arnt in the main scene... like interiors. inside the reactor fo example. i dont wanna do that :P

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: 2010-04-03 06:15:05 »
A way to spread the work for Midgar and retain consistency would be for one person to do (for example) exteriors on the upper plate, one to do interiors on the upper plate, one to do exteriors in the slums and one to do interiors in the slums.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: 2010-04-03 06:20:08 »
And some poor sod can have /all/ of HQ to themselves :P

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #334 on: 2010-04-03 14:30:12 »
inside the reactor fo example.

Incidentally, I can't seem to find those Field files. Any idea what they're called?

craziinova

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: 2010-04-03 15:32:46 »
*is learning how to model*

I'm gonna disregard everything you just said and call out temple of the Ancients ;P

It's so much easier with a pen & tab. Does anyone else use one or just stick to keyboard and mouse?

Naast

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: 2010-04-03 17:57:53 »
Has someone made a tutorial about all this? If not, it should be done, I guess you'll have more help that way.
I'd really like to help you guys, but I don't know a thing about modelling. I was thinking about learning it for some times, but I guess it's not something I can do even with a year of experience.  :(

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: 2010-04-03 19:31:27 »
I knew nothing of modelling when i started. Learn as you go.

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #338 on: 2010-04-03 20:17:48 »
A Tutorial! I shall make one immediately!!

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: 2010-04-04 05:45:51 »
as long as the major traveled areas get done, i think the project will be heading in the right direction. Focus on the opening cine to grab people attention, then hit all of the major town centers (Kalm, Rocket Town, Cosmo, etc...) that way you get a nice sample in the largest dose. Fact is, many areas are only visited once and could be done last (or not even at all) and no one would realy mind.
No sense in painting the back of the stair case, right?

just my 2 cents.

That's a really good point. I suppose a good priority list would be:

1. Places that need to be visited repeatedly during the story.
2. Places that need to be visited once during the story.
3. Places that don't need to be visited during the story.

I wonder what the most visited field screen is? The bridge of the Highwind probably.

The most visited scene is the opening train platform. Even if you hate the game and only played it once, you have seen it.

Obviously I was talking about 'during the story'. Assuming people actually play it.

But yeah the demo thing is a good idea.

ff7rules

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: 2010-04-05 15:00:55 »
A Tutorial! I shall make one immediately!!

I would welcome this for sure i wouldd love to try and help you guys out, but I know nothing of modeling buildings so would be awesome if you could do a tutorial for this.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: 2010-04-05 16:24:48 »
look at a building... what is it? its a box! simple as that. Put extra little boxes on it and other details n stoff... dats bout it :P  Anyhow i await your tutorial Neo, I hope to learn somethin!

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #342 on: 2010-04-05 16:37:21 »
I finished filming the sketchup part of it now. This tutorial will mainly be for max users, but i guess if you use blender it's not too hard to transfer the info.
At any rate, what would you guys prefer? 3 Different parts covering seperate things at a relatively normal pace, or just one part sped up really fast? The Max section might have to be split up anyway, since I dunno how much detail I'mma go into yet.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: 2010-04-05 16:41:18 »
split up with more detail, no question. We need to provide thorough instruction.

craziinova

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: 2010-04-05 17:07:44 »
NCS, I can deal with the modelling myself. I would like to know which program to use to view/extract the field backgrounds. Thank you.

I am using Maya 2010 with pen & tab, but I plan to move onto Max when I am more learned.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: 2010-04-05 17:14:31 »
use palmer, you can find it in the gametweaking section.

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #346 on: 2010-04-05 17:30:19 »
Ugh, seems Max has failed me, And I can't import any .obj files now (I need to be able to do this for importing walkmeshes)
Tutorial is on hold until I find a way around this.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: 2010-04-06 04:27:01 »
Bit of a status update. Tried my hand at texturing a bit. Opinions would be welcome.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: 2010-04-06 04:32:04 »
Noticeable tiling effect along the right wall. Possibly use a different texture for each object of the same type, to make it look less uniform. Otherwise, fantastic!

Also, slightly unrelated, the lighting in the front part of the train car is too dark.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: 2010-04-06 04:41:32 »
Noticeable tiling effect along the right wall. Possibly use a different texture for each object of the same type, to make it look less uniform. Otherwise, fantastic!

Also, slightly unrelated, the lighting in the front part of the train car is too dark.

The original is quite dark as well, but ill see if i can tweak it. As for the tiling effect i would have to uv map everything, which i don't want to do if i can avoid it.