Author Topic: New Field backgrounds/CG Cutscenes thread  (Read 180997 times)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: New Field backgrounds/CG Cutscenes thread
« Reply #350 on: 2010-04-06 05:24:12 »
Not bad so far, but I think it should be a bit dirtier and grimier; at the moment it's a little too clean for a Midgar train.

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: 2010-04-06 05:31:18 »
Lookin good. Im not sure how far you are going to work on the crates and floor but they should look pretty dirty.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: 2010-04-06 06:30:49 »
Not bad so far, but I think it should be a bit dirtier and grimier; at the moment it's a little too clean for a Midgar train.

Is this based on what you see in the original image or what you think a midgar train should look like. Because i do not see much dirt and grime in the original.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: 2010-04-06 09:57:37 »
It's not dirty in the sense that there are big patches of mud everywhere, but I think the original looks like it has seen better days. It's dirty in the sense tat it doesn't look like anything gets cleaned or looked after and nothing shines very much.

If you look at the two pics next to each other, it becomes clear that the original train looks like no-one has taken care of it. It's a little darker, the metal looks less uniform and more imperfections, and there are quite a few blotches of dark grey on the metal, especially on the pieces of metal that connect the sides of the car to the ceiling. Dirty and grimy describes the feel of the place as much as the actual amount of dirt.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: 2010-04-06 12:36:57 »
SL, I dont know the maya interface fer this stuff, but in blender you can offset textures just plopped on, as well as adjust in other ways how they're mapped to an object, that could help the uniformity (i imagine maya can do it too :P)

Also, You can probably put additional layers of texture on. Just a random gradient to create inconsistency in the metal (map this texture differently to the first). Dirt and grime layers can go on too.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: 2010-04-06 12:42:49 »
Looking at a side by side i can see the bars could be a tad thicker, end of the train needs to be a tad darker, Otherwise, fantastic job man! even if you just toss that image in game i'd be happy

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: 2010-04-06 21:17:49 »
SL, I dont know the maya interface fer this stuff, but in blender you can offset textures just plopped on, as well as adjust in other ways how they're mapped to an object, that could help the uniformity (i imagine maya can do it too :P)

Also, You can probably put additional layers of texture on. Just a random gradient to create inconsistency in the metal (map this texture differently to the first). Dirt and grime layers can go on too.

what he said.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: 2010-04-07 15:18:41 »
Any better?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: 2010-04-07 17:43:33 »
YES! That is looking fantastic!

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #359 on: 2010-04-07 20:52:13 »
YES! That is looking fantastic!
This  ;D

Also, I have literally just realised how different hi-poly texturing is to low-poly D:

Too much Crackage?

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: 2010-04-07 21:49:28 »
wow sl, that looks heaps better! can't wait to see it in action.

AlbusJC

• If you really love something let it go
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: 2010-04-07 22:46:23 »
in my opinion the back door should be a little more dark.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #362 on: 2010-04-08 00:20:04 »
Is there a broad, overarching principle behind 'redesign' decisions? Or are we just going with whatever has the most visual appeal in any given case?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: 2010-04-08 03:42:20 »
Is there a broad, overarching principle behind 'redesign' decisions? Or are we just going with whatever has the most visual appeal in any given case?

Nothing very specific. Given the very low res originals it is hard to discern many visual details so we have to make it up as it goes. So basically what we think looks good. I guess that is the problem with people texturing their own work. There will be no consistency between the different modellers.

Oh and disregard the back wall on the above image. It needs alot more work.

KnifeTheSky77

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: 2010-04-08 04:19:34 »
Too much Crackage?
There is never enough.
or rather, assuming that picture is a piece of a building in junon, a place where road literally shoots out of the ground to protect the buildings,
it would seem logical to say that the cracks would be minimal or unminimal?. It looks good nonetheless. Some of the larger holes look like gun wounds.

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #365 on: 2010-04-08 20:56:47 »
D:
Guys, Bad news.
I was trying to get my OSX/windows thing working and well, I installed a bootloader onto my Windows partition, where I kept all my stuff.
Only problem is, Now I can't boot into that partition, and according to OSX, it's slightly corrupted. Anyone know of any way at all to recover stuff from a corrupted NTFS formatted harddrive from OSX? To be honest I'm willing to go the whole hog and install linux if someone knows a way it'll help.

I might be out of action for a good while because of this, and unless I can recover stuff, I've more than likely lost all the stuff I had on it, including all my contributions to this project (Not as if there was much anyway)

KnifeTheSky77

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: 2010-04-08 21:23:19 »
you overwrote the bootloader? If you have windows 6 or 7 and maybe 5,
the install disc can build you a fresh bootloader.

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #367 on: 2010-04-08 21:32:32 »
Nono, if i just overwrote the bootloader, it wouldn't be unreadable via mac. That's irrelevant anyway - It's a laptop, and as such, it didn't come with the vista disc, So I can't even reinstall windows and format that partition.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: 2010-04-08 22:04:21 »
Nono, if i just overwrote the bootloader, it wouldn't be unreadable via mac. That's irrelevant anyway - It's a laptop, and as such, it didn't come with the vista disc, So I can't even reinstall windows and format that partition.

Put laptop in drive of another computer? and or boot to a Linux CD and access Windows partition, back up data then reload windows?

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #369 on: 2010-04-08 22:15:20 »
Yeah, I'm trying to do the linux thing now (although with a legitimate copy of Win7 instead)
I'll never be able to get vista back though - unless the "restore factory defaults" thing which I used to use to reinstall vista is transferrable. I'm not sure about this.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: 2010-04-08 22:46:33 »
No i don't believe it is

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #371 on: 2010-04-08 23:27:15 »
Currently Typing from Ubuntu - It's a lot better than I thought it would be.   :-D
At any rate, as soon as I figure out how to try recovering stuff from corrupted volumes on ubuntu, I'll get back to you guys aout how much stuff I've lost - I know I'm getting really off-topic here.

craziinova

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: 2010-04-08 23:48:00 »
You really managed to rape yourself didn't you, Neo...

Look familiar?

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #373 on: 2010-04-08 23:59:17 »
Yeah, I totally did D:
Linux is telling me that the disk isn't even corrupt. But I go into it and it just looks like a fresh install of vista - none of my stuff's there. This Pretty much means I'mma just have to reformat and lose everything, which is totally crap.

...That's the Temple of the Ancients, Isn't it? Looking epic so far :D

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: 2010-04-09 00:04:37 »
Did you lose junon as well?