Author Topic: The Internet is the most dangerous invention since the atomic bomb!  (Read 24015 times)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wirestory?id=11425737

Yet another idiot talking about how the internet is the 27th thing that's going to kill the music industry (after radio, copying tapes, etc).

It's also amusing that his argument for the superiority of CDs over MP3s is word-for-word identical as the one that they used to make when complaining that CDs weren't as good as vinyl. One presumes he downloaded some shitty 128kb/s rips or is comparing his (presumably expensive) speaker setup to cheap iPod headphones.

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
these guys are getting seriousely pathetic, when will people learn the internet is hear to stay, and has bettered most lives, not killed it off. if someones bitter, don't blame the internet, cause they can't win

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
I'm confused. I thought the music industry had already been killed by cheap CD-Rs. Right after videotaping killed the film industry, and woodcuts killed literature.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
woodcuts killed literature.

Naw, dude. Literature was killed when bards went around singing other people's song for free. No doubt about it, Homer was a pirate, and all the people who listened to him were stealing from the poets who contributes to the myths. And don't forget Giglamesh. First epic? Moar like first THEFT! ;D

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
I will agree with his assesment that MP3's have killed audio quality. But apparently he is not aware of some of the lossless codecs out there that provide identical if not superior quality to CD's. FLAC for example is an amazing codec that can do 24bit/96kHz.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
I was under the impression that, for most people, 320kb/s MP3s are indistinguishable from FLAC. Of course, lower bitrate MP3s are bound to sound worse, and I imagine that this is what that man was listening to.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Its hard to say, I have a fairly high end system, but I have not done a double blind on a FLAC vs mp3 320kbps. I have noticed a difference between FLAC and 256kbps however.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Do you have better than average hearing?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I don't know. I never really had it tested. People have commented me on my 'golden ear'. Sadly that changed somewhat due to the tinnitus in one ear due to a drunk friend throwing a firecracker at me and having it blow up right beside my ear.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
I've always had terrible hearing, so 56kb/s from crappy headphones sounds god-like to me ;D

Not quite, but I'm able to make do with very low audio quality.

However, I've recently been developing videophile tendencies. Feels bad, man; there are no HD releases of Lucky Star :'(

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I've always had terrible hearing, so 56kb/s from crappy headphones sounds god-like to me ;D

However, I've recently been developing videophile tendencies. Feels bad, man; there are no HD releases of Lucky Star :'(

I do not know what Lucky Star is but I do feel your pain. I absolutely refuse to watch any movie unless it is on blu-ray.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
>I do not know what Lucky Star is

Hellbringer616

• View Profile

I do not know what Lucky Star is but I do feel your pain. I absolutely refuse to watch any movie unless it is on blu-ray.

Agreed on the blu-ray! tv hurts my eyes -.-

on the music topic, I keep all my music in apple lossless (damn apple not accepting FLAC) and they sound tons better then mp3 (at least at up to 256kbps)

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
You guys wanna try streaming TV shows online when megavideo has deleted EVERY SINGLE link because of infringement.

http://screencast.com/t/OGE3MmE5ZDY
That's the kinda stuff I'm putting up with right now. I want to commit suicide when I think about how bad the video AND sound quality is, which is all the time. It says HD, but believe me, It's not. The player's not even english, either. I'm just not gonna buy those expensive boxsets, dammit!

And by streaming TV shows online, I clearly mean watching them on legitimate DVDs which I bought.
« Last Edit: 2010-08-19 21:38:47 by NCS »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
THIEFFFFFFFFFF!

In all seriousness, TV does seem to be one thing that is suffering because of the internet. Not because of piracy, but because the internet is vastly superior.

EDIT:

Since we were on the subject of audiophilia:

lolz0rz! ;D
« Last Edit: 2010-08-31 20:14:55 by Kudistos Megistos »

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
tv and CDs are both destined to change, the way the are distrubuted is ancient. Why the hell would i sit through an actual TV program and deal with all the commercials when i can DVR it and skip them all, or simply hit hulu or a torrent site and grab the latest episodes in HD without commericals?

Same goes for CDs. Sadly it is easier and faster to download a CD than it is to get in the car and drive to the store. Its cheaper as well. I hate apple but iTunes was a great freaking idea! I just wonder what best buy is gonna put in the other half of their stores once CDs become scarce.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
TV would be in serious trouble without ad revenue; we're likely to see a lot more reality TV shows and far less quality TV (not that there's much now...)

Overpaid TV personalities will take a big hit in the wallet.

Mako

• View Profile
O_O That has got to be the coolest thing I have seen all year!.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile

Mako

• View Profile
Who knew Mt Dew cans could be so useful!!

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
lossless audio... I've found that the quality of speakers has a much greater effect on audible sound quality than the actual encoding algorithm used, when adjusted to today's standards, at least. a 128k mp3 or m4a on some quality BOSE speakers sounds infinitely better than any lossless audio files can on my laptops speakers, or the speakers built into my TV, for that matter.

moreover... Apple's file formats = FAIL. I'm not too familiar with the security features, but I've had too many people complain to me about how their music libraries self-destruct when iTunes suspects that there's copyright infringement afoot.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
lossless audio... I've found that the quality of speakers has a much greater effect on audible sound quality than the actual encoding algorithm used, when adjusted to today's standards, at least. a 128k mp3 or m4a on some quality BOSE speakers sounds infinitely better than any lossless audio files can on my crappy $30 altec lansings...

moreover... Apple's file formats = FAIL. I'm not too familiar with the security features, but I've had too many people complain to me about how their music libraries self-destruct when iTunes suspects that there's copyright infringement afoot.

You didn't just put bose and quality in the same sentence did you? EPIC FAIL!

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
>arguing over speakers

« Last Edit: 2010-08-20 20:36:34 by Kudistos Megistos »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
lossless audio... I've found that the quality of speakers has a much greater effect on audible sound quality than the actual encoding algorithm used, when adjusted to today's standards, at least. a 128k mp3 or m4a on some quality BOSE speakers sounds infinitely better than any lossless audio files can on my crappy $30 altec lansings...

You didn't just put bose and quality in the same sentence did you? EPIC FAIL!
Ain't nothing wrong with Bose but the price. It's still WAY better than most low-to-medium end stuff.