Author Topic: The Internet is the most dangerous invention since the atomic bomb!  (Read 24014 times)

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
I have heard bose and yes they are way overpriced. And why they make such tiny speakers is beyond me. It doesnt sound good compared to a real sized speaker. Its simple physics, bigger drivers = more air moved = louder fuller sound.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
I have heard bose and yes they are way overpriced. And why they make such tiny speakers is beyond me. It doesn't sound good compared to a real sized speaker. Its simple physics, bigger drivers = more air moved = louder fuller sound.
i agree with you on that one. Bose have over-engineered their cabinets to a ridiculous level. A port can make a certain range for frequencies sound better, but long meandering ports just don't justify the gains they claim. I've been building sub-woofer boxes for years, and have built a number of home speaker cabinets and i much prefer the sound of a totally sealed box over a ported one. Ports can sound good when tuned towards the 90Hz-120Hz range, any lower and the box is useless except for hip-hop and R&B.

Bose also screwed up in the 90s when they put their badges into certain GM vehicles and claimed "Bose Sound". All of those cars sounded like crap and the amplifiers would fail(if they even had one), and it was nearly a $1000 option! Saddest part was when you pulled the "Bose" speakers out, they all had Chrysler emblems on the back. ROFL!

lee

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
Self-built > Koss > Sennheiser > Bose

IMO

Also, 320 kbps MP3 sucks, V0 is where it's at....  that and FLAC

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Self-built > Koss > Sennheiser > Bose

IMO

Also, 320 kbps MP3 sucks, V0 is where it's at....  that and FLAC
Wow@all the Bose hate. I've only used their headphones (borrowed them from a friend) and they sounded okay. Are their regular speakers really that bad?

Cupcake

• View Profile
I'm an audiophile, and my brother is an audiophile.  We were brought up on BOSE speakers...  They're not bad, they're just not as good as they should be.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Paradigm. If you havn't heard of them look them up. If you havn't listened to them you need to. Right now i own the Studio series and want to upgrade to the Signatures (Whenever I can convince my wife of course)

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
I'm an audiophile, and my brother is an audiophile.  We were brought up on BOSE speakers...  They're not bad, they're just not as good as they should be.

Audiophile eh? i'm looking for some 5.1 - 7.1 speakers for my PC, saw a logitech set i liked for $339.99

Should i avoid them? if so, what PC speaker brands would you recommend?

Cupcake

• View Profile
I'm not too into computer speakers, I'm more about building my own, but I have a set of these http://www.jbl.com/EN-US/Products/Pages/ProductList.aspx?SID=MME (first ones), and aside from a few issues with them due to the fact that they're getting a tad old, I think they sound decent for computer speakers.  Not 5.1 or 7.1 though, sorry, as I said, computer speakers just aren't my thing.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
I just sold my Logitech Z-5500 5.1 surround setup and it was awesome for gaming! I could pinpoint other players immediately just on sound alone. I also had a "perfect" 5.1 setup where all the speakers where exactly where they needed to be, and that is often not the case for most people. However, i bought a fairly expensive set of headphones and they absolutely murder the 5.1 setup, and at half the price.

IMHO, if your not going to be gaming or watching movies with other people on your computer, go for a $100-$150 set of headphones. Way more immersive and you don't bother anyone else by rattling the house with explosions. You also get the bonus confused looks when your MF'ing the computer and family members think you've lost your damn mind :lol:

lee

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
My setup is much cheaper than the more expensive headphones, but it's also not nearly as good. I've got a pair of circumaural headphones with some cheap earbuds stuffed into the fronts and backs, for surround sound. I plan on buying actual 5.1 headphones when I can afford it, but this is a gaming-friendly cheap alternative until then, especially since I already had the big pair of headphones.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
it has been my experience that even a mediocre set of headphones will give the best cabinet speakers a run for their money, unless you have a super tuned ear. 5.1 headphones make this even more apparent, though they can be heavy sometimes so you have to deal with neck fatigue. Everything has it drawbacks i guess.

Cupcake

• View Profile
To be honest, I think $100-$150 is too much for a decent pair of headphones.  I have a $40 pair of Koss Portapros, and they kick some serious ass.  I can hear a lot of details with them.  My only gripe is mine tend to break often, but that's because I treat them like shit.  It costs me like $12 to get a new pair though, thanks to the warranty

yoshi314

• View Profile
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wirestory?id=11425737

Yet another idiot talking about how the internet is the 27th thing that's going to kill the music industry (after radio, copying tapes, etc).
the music industry is killing itself, no need to interfere.

they just don't get the innovation the internet brought. first they fight mp3 and similar formats. then they give you DRM they sometimes install without your knowledge or agreement (remember sony?). these guys never learn.

the most important invention connected to digital music is that you no longer need to buy an entire album with one good song and a lot of mediocre ones - you can usually buy tracks separately, and save your money avoiding filler songs that justify higher price for an album.

It's also amusing that his argument for the superiority of CDs over MP3s is word-for-word identical as the one that they used to make when complaining that CDs weren't as good as vinyl. One presumes he downloaded some shitty 128kb/s rips or is comparing his (presumably expensive) speaker setup to cheap iPod headphones.
well, you know those audiophiles. zealots that brag about audio quality and fail miserably at blind audio tests. he might be one of them.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
the most important invention connected to digital music is that you no longer need to buy an entire album with one good song and a lot of mediocre ones - you can usually buy tracks separately, and save your money avoiding filler songs that justify higher price for an album.

I suspect that this is one of the biggest reasons why the old creative industries in general hate the internet; it's much harder to sell crap nowadays when people have so much choice. I once remember reading a story about someone in Hollywood complaining that the internet was killing the industry because it allowed people to find out whether a film was worth watching. He thought it was better when it was harder to find out without watching it whether a film was good and had to pay regardless of whether they enjoyed it, since he could still make a profit from bad films.

Cupcake

• View Profile
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wirestory?id=11425737

Yet another idiot talking about how the internet is the 27th thing that's going to kill the music industry (after radio, copying tapes, etc).
the music industry is killing itself, no need to interfere.

they just don't get the innovation the internet brought. first they fight mp3 and similar formats. then they give you DRM they sometimes install without your knowledge or agreement (remember sony?). these guys never learn.

It's also amusing that his argument for the superiority of CDs over MP3s is word-for-word identical as the one that they used to make when complaining that CDs weren't as good as vinyl. One presumes he downloaded some shitty 128kb/s rips or is comparing his (presumably expensive) speaker setup to cheap iPod headphones.
well, you know those audiophiles. zealots that brag about audio quality and fail miserably at blind audio tests. he might be one of them.

I like vinyls better than CDs.  I just find a warmth to the sound that I can't seem to find with anything else

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Naw, dude. The real warmth lies in MIDIs and 64kb/s .ra files, listened to through laptop speakers. Nothing else compares.
« Last Edit: 2010-08-31 10:06:56 by Kudistos Megistos »

yoshi314

• View Profile
I like vinyls better than CDs.  I just find a warmth to the sound that I can't seem to find with anything else
at least there is a way to differentiate vinyl sound from cd - vinyl has that analog noise. telling apart cd and well-compressed mp3/aac/whatever file is very difficult.

Cupcake

• View Profile
at least there is a way to differentiate vinyl sound from cd - vinyl has that analog noise. telling apart cd and well-compressed mp3/aac/whatever file is very difficult.

Agreed.  There's 2 methods to that imo.  1) Have a damn good ear (thankfully good hearing runs in my family) 2) Spectral Analysis

yoshi314

• View Profile

Agreed.  There's 2 methods to that imo.  1) Have a damn good ear (thankfully good hearing runs in my family) 2) Spectral Analysis
actually if your headphones jack is very loosely plugged into the port (so that the stereo is a bit messed up) you can hear mp3 artifacts very clearly, even on high quality files. it happened to me a few times.

it might be called cheating, but hey -  it works ;)