Author Topic: Favorite TV shows?  (Read 24701 times)

BloodShot

• View Profile
Favorite TV shows?
« on: 2011-02-21 03:05:02 »
I was just wondering, what are your favorite TV shows you guys? Whether its arbitrary or well known, paper thin or ocean deep story wise, funny or serious, post them here.

I'll start with a couple of mine:

Hercules: The Legendary Journeys:

This is probably one of my favorite TV shows of all time. I always liked Greek mythology, and I loved their portrayal of the various myths and legends of Ancient Greek lore, despite the obvious differences. The action was good, the jokes were cheesy, and most of the actors did a great job of playing their parts, especially Michael Hurst as Iolaus, and there was good moderation in the blood and violence too. Although Hercules (portrayed by Kevin Sorbo) almost never kills anybody due to his good nature, they seem to mistakenly kill themselves when they go too far.  :P

Stargate SG-1:

I generally wasn't a fan of TV Sci-fi until I watched this show, got me hooked after a couple of episodes. I especially liked how It tried to stay grounded in realism unlike other more obvious Sci-Fi universes (Star Trek and Star Wars, anyone?) Unfortunately Richard Dean Anderson was a big part of what made the show good, and when he left, it was still good, but it lacked a certain charm that it had with him on it.

Xena: Warrior Princess:

Another one of my favorites, I loved this show almost as much as Hercules. The overall show itself was better (except for the last season) then Hercules later on, but the earlier seasons of TLJ keep me from liking this one more, though they are both great. I really liked how Xena (Lucy Lawless) started off as a very evil adversary of Hercules, but was changed by the absolute brutality of her comrades, along with their betrayal, and her encounters with Hercules. The overall tone of the show was darker than Hercules, with Xena killing (sometimes violently) most of the foes she faced. I did kind of like her premise though, she wasn't a complete do-good person like Hercules, but rather she was making up for her viscous and murderous past. The last season sucked ass though. :/

Stargate Atlantis

Another of my favorites, this one was good because it kept the overall ideas that made the first one so good, and applied it to a new setting. The Actors also did a particularly good job as well, especially Joe Flanigan. It was really a shame that it was canceled for that new "SG-U" crap.
« Last Edit: 2011-02-21 03:10:04 by bloodshot »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite TV shows?
« Reply #1 on: 2011-02-21 03:07:24 »
Babylon 5.  The Greatest TV Show of All Time.

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-02-21 06:29:54 »

/thread

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-02-21 11:30:37 »

Breaking Bad is the best TV show I ever watched. Everything is stellar in it. I can't wait for season 4.

Also...

I'm one of the few guys won't wasn't *too* disappointed by how Lost ended, so I still like it a lot. Actually, the things that many people don't like are very FFVII-ish, when you think about it (I'm leaving spoilers out). Lost is the closest thing to a Final Fantasy turned into a TV show, IMO.
« Last Edit: 2011-02-21 11:40:13 by Armorvil »

hotdog963al

• Horse
    • View Profile
    • Horse HQ
« Reply #4 on: 2011-02-21 11:34:12 »

Absolute favourite.

Cloudef

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-02-21 12:18:58 »

Seitokai no Ichizon

I also take my time and announce that I don't watch TV, because it's all crap.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-02-21 12:24:43 »

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-02-21 15:21:54 »
/\ Seinfeld and King of Queens murder Friends for me. I don't really find Friends funny at all IMO. A lot of times it just seems like they are trying too hard, and putting laugh tracks in where they shouldn't be. To each his own though.

I agree with you on Lost, i didn't really think the ending was all that bad, just disappointing.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-02-21 17:06:53 »
friends.jpg

As for me, it has to be the Big Bang Theory. Everyone here is just like Sheldon lol! It's the most accurate depiction of both genius and nerdiness that I've ever seen! Those writers really did their research!

Hey Sheldon?
>Audience smiles
You ever give that Call of Duty game a try?
>Audience shatters nearby windows with their laughter
No, I own a wii
>The Audience cannot contain themselves. The laughter they emit causes a rip in the universe, allowing those of the dark world to spill free and sink the world into 1000 years of darkness. No man, women or child is spared as the six-mouthed goat demons and flying spawns of spiders feed on their very souls. The sky turns black, those who avoided the creatures of the dark world are trapped in an endless night. The seas boil, mountains fall and clouds leak red blood down on the world. It's the end times, the world falls to an unforgiving god, nothing and no one shall stand after the Earth is taken by evil. As the last man takes his last breath under a crimson moon, he opens his mouth and allows a last, hollow laugh to escape his lips before sinks to the floor.

« Last Edit: 2011-02-21 17:08:24 by Kudistos Megistos »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-02-21 19:07:06 »
Big Bang Theory is the worst representation of nerds I've ever seen, and Sheldon Cooper is a complete asshole. I wouldn't mind the horrifying lack of accuracy, but the lack of likable characters kills it for me. But then, I can only assume you're trolling.

My top five?
1. Dexter
2. Fringe
3. Community
4. Breaking Bad
5. Hell's Kitchen

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-02-21 19:12:57 »
Big Bang Theory is the worst representation of nerds I've ever seen, and Sheldon Cooper is a complete ahole. I wouldn't mind the horrifying lack of accuracy, but the lack of likable characters kills it for me. But then, I can only assume you're trolling.

What do you mean? He's a perfect representation of geeks/scientists/aspies, etc. Don't you sometimes get people coming up to you and saying "Hey, you're just like that Sheldon guy from TBBT"?

Sheldon is determining what the next generation's image of these groups of people will be, and he's doing a great job!

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-02-21 19:39:53 »
From the outside he seems accurate enough, but as an Aspie I can assure you there's all sorts of problems.

1. He is extremely self-centered. He does what he wants to do, never considering those around him. A true Aspie, however, does care. Most of us really want a social life, acceptance, we just don't know how to obtain it, and shy away out of fear. End result is similar behavior, but the thought processes that lead to it are vastly different.

2. He is ignorant of the obvious. Example: there was a Christmas episode, and he wasn't aware that gift-giving is a "non-optional social convention." Even someone without proper social skills could figure this out based on the fact that virtually everybody does it at scheduled interviews. In the same episode, he fails to acknowledge it as Christmas because Christ wasn't born in December, completely ignoring the possibility that the celebration of Christ's birth doesn't have to fall on the same day as His birth actually occurred. Furthermore, he claims that December 25 is Saturnalia, which is grossly inaccurate, and shows a complete lack of research. No nerd or Aspie would fail this hard.

3. He plays Age of Conan. Nerds who play MMORPGs tend to play LoTRO or WoW. Age of Conan has a comparatively lousy mythology and shallow gameplay.

For the most part, the only people who think he's even reasonably accurate are not nerds themselves, and are certainly not Aspies, and wouldn't know accurate if it bit them in the butt. If you want to see a real Aspie, watch the movie Adam. But more importantly than that, all the characters are complete jerks, even Leonard (who is supposed to be likable). Even if they were realistic, the show is just unpleasant to watch.

And for the record, nobody has compared me to Sheldon before. I have, however, been told that if I was a serial killer I would be Dexter.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-02-21 19:43:49 »
And for the record, nobody has compared me to Sheldon before.

But you're just like him, Covarr-chan!

For the most part, the only people who think he's even reasonably accurate are not nerds themselves, and are certainly not Aspies, and wouldn't know accurate if it bit them in the butt. If you want to see a real Aspie, watch the movie Adam. But more importantly than that, all the characters are complete jerks, even Leonard (who is supposed to be likable). Even if they were realistic, the show is just unpleasant to watch.

But these characters are going to determine how people think about nerds and aspies for the next generation.

Whilst we're on the subject, is responding to obvious trolling a symptom of assburgers?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011-02-21 19:49:02 »
Whilst we're on the subject, is responding to obvious trolling a symptom of assburgers?
I'm pretty sure it is. I can't help but respond, even when I know damn well it's trolling.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-02-21 19:51:45 »
I'm pretty sure it is. I can't help but respond, even when I know damn well it's trolling.

Sou desu ne!

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #15 on: 2011-02-21 20:56:28 »
South Park
King of the Hill
Seinfeld

hotdog963al

• Horse
    • View Profile
    • Horse HQ
« Reply #16 on: 2011-02-21 21:24:10 »
As for me, it has to be the Big Bang Theory. Everyone here is just like Sheldon lol! It's the most accurate depiction of both genius and nerdiness that I've ever seen! Those writers really did their research!

Superior.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011-02-21 22:00:00 »

theITcrowd.jpg

Superior.

Off course!

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2011-02-21 22:38:35 »
Big Bang Theory is the worst representation of nerds I've ever seen, and Sheldon Cooper is a complete ahole. I wouldn't mind the horrifying lack of accuracy, but the lack of likable characters kills it for me. But then, I can only assume you're trolling.

My top five?
1. Dexter
2. Fringe
3. Community
4. Breaking Bad
5. Hell's Kitchen

1) I forgot to mention Breaking Bad

2) I managed to get 2 shows into your top 5, hells, to the yes

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2011-02-21 22:46:12 »
Atm i'm following:

- How I Met Your Mother
- Community
- Big Bang Theory
- MadLove
- Two and a Half Men
- Dexter
- Cleveland Show
- Family Guy
- Simpsons
- Naruto
- Bleach
- Bones (in tv, not everytime it gets out)
- House MD (in tv, not everytime it gets out)

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2011-02-22 05:08:11 »
Currently:
Breaking Bad
The Walking Dead

Recently:
Lost
Battlestar Galactica

Oldies but Goodies:
X-Files
Buffy (yes, I know)
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Knight Rider
Quantum Leap

Runners Up:
Alias- would have made it, but it jumped the shark for me.
Being Human (BBC) - would have probably been at the top if I'd seen all the eps. But I cancelled cable recently.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2011-02-22 12:39:50 »
A shame the Walking Dead will stop for almost a year  :'(

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2011-02-22 16:01:23 »
I knoooow. I hate when I love a show and it goes on a really long hiatus.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2011-02-22 23:00:47 »
I knoooow. I hate when I love a show and it goes on a really long hiatus.

I have the feeling that when the show is back, half the cast has been changed, lol.