Author Topic: Thoughts about "Final Fantasy XIII"  (Read 24014 times)

Masa-Buster

• View Profile
Thoughts about "Final Fantasy XIII"
« on: 2010-02-24 15:30:34 »
I know its not out in N.A. yet but I might as well make this topic before someone else does  ;)

For people who already got it, share what its like. So far from what I heard is that its a Dungeon Crawler -_- Still a Final Fantasy game, and a Must-Have.

After I manage to see some gameplay vids and actually get it and clear up space on my PS3, I'll post my thoughts. Until then, Good Luck !

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts about "Final Fantasy XIII"
« Reply #1 on: 2010-02-24 17:27:48 »
edited.
« Last Edit: 2010-02-24 21:51:20 by titeguy3 »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 2010-02-24 17:35:51 »
I don't care if it's called 'Final Fantasy'. After the horrific mess that was XII, I'm treating it as Guilty until proven Innocent. And the reviews I've so far encountered don't leave it much hope.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-02-24 20:40:16 »
I'm sure KM would beat me to it if I don't post this, but, this is the complete map of the first 6 or so hours of the game:

The map of the first six hours of the game is a squashed white image saying the name of a certain site that I like to lurk and steal stories from? ;D

Anyway, here it is. :P

EDIT:

NANI?

The image titeguy3 linked to seems to appear sometimes and not at other times ???
« Last Edit: 2010-02-24 21:23:59 by Kudistos Megistos »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-02-25 02:08:59 »
My thoughts?  It is going to be horribly bland and lack almost any creativity just like most other "next-gen" games.  FFXII was horrible, and this might be a little bit better, but still just as boring as FFX.

Instead of wasting your money, if you have a PS3, buy Heavy Rain.  It is remarkably well done and hopefully its success will encourage other developers to be creative and try new things with videogames.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-02-25 03:45:01 »
My thoughts?  It is going to be horribly bland and lack almost any creativity just like most other "next-gen" games.  FFXII was horrible, and this might be a little bit better, but still just as boring as FFX.

Instead of wasting your money, if you have a PS3, buy Heavy Rain.  It is remarkably well done and hopefully its success will encourage other developers to be creative and try new things with videogames.

Is it true that Heavy Rain only has one ending? I've heard that it makes a better rental than a buy...

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-02-25 03:49:02 »
I'm liking heavy rain so far. a. lot.
 If I were to call any game coming out this year for the psTres a rental it would be ff13  :-D

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-02-25 04:13:03 »
I play RPG's mostly for the story. So if 13 is totally linear for the first half it doesnt really bother me at all.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-02-25 05:07:35 »

Is it true that Heavy Rain only has one ending? I've heard that it makes a better rental than a buy...
11 different endings that I've heard of.  Every decision you make actually does alter the story.  To the point that main characters can even die and the story continues and just takes that into account.   I've only played like 3 hours and its starting to get really really good

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-02-25 12:14:24 »
I don't have a PS3 any more (got tired of all the exploiting and camping in MGO and most of other games I had I couldn't play with friends because they were region locked for online play) but Heavy Rain just comes across as being really slow and boring, it's one giant Quick Time Event.

As for the subject at hand, I'll probably wait a little while and pick FFXIII up pre-owned and possible with trade-ins.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-02-25 18:21:06 »
Heavy Rain just comes across as being really slow and boring, it's one giant Quick Time Event.
That's why I like it so much.  It takes me back to a time when nearly every game I played felt new and innovative.  I used to have a massive collection of games in the early to late 90's.  Nowadays, I have 5.  Almost every "new" game feels exactly like the last.

KnifeTheSky77

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-02-25 19:02:20 »
Heavy Rain just comes across as being really slow and boring, it's one giant Quick Time Event.
That's why I like it so much.  It takes me back to a time when nearly every game I played felt new and innovative.  I used to have a massive collection of games in the early to late 90's.  Nowadays, I have 5.  Almost every "new" game feels exactly like the last.

We aren't so different, you and I.
Heavy Rain has completely blown my mind. I have found the game exhilarating in the least, but definitely not boring
I recommend it to anyone with a ps3

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-02-26 06:00:44 »
11 different endings that I've heard of.  Every decision you make actually does alter the story.  To the point that main characters can even die and the story continues and just takes that into account.   I've only played like 3 hours and its starting to get really really good
Really? that's awesome, I'll have to check it out! Sounds like one of those old Holographic goosebumps books (loved those way back when).

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-02-26 23:29:25 »

Ooh, it looks interesting. (Not like I have a PS3). It actually looks like a cross between an X-Files game I had & Bladerunner. Except, you know, probably much better...

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010-02-27 01:45:56 »
We aren't so different, you and I.
Heavy Rain has completely blown my mind. I have found the game exhilarating in the least, but definitely not boring
I recommend it to anyone with a ps3

After getting past that first "chapter" I've been on the edge of my seat almost the entire time paying attention to every detail.  I really like that things go on around you no matter what.  So if you take your time responding to them, or ignore them, they simply go away and the game changes.

I'm going to have to replay at least 5 more times I think

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010-02-27 01:48:16 »
Isn't this a thread about FFXIII?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010-02-27 02:29:38 »
Isn't this a thread about FFXIII?
Nope.  This thread is now about a good game  8)

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010-02-27 02:38:56 »
Have you played 13?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010-02-27 02:42:07 »
No.  But I did already play 10.  I don't need to play it with updated graphics.

Versus 13 COULD be good.  I'll pass judgement once it gets a little closer to release.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010-02-27 02:43:57 »
So you are taking someone elses word that 13 = 10? Interesting. I prefer to draw my own conclusions.

« Reply #20 on: 2010-02-27 02:46:28 »
No.  But I did already play 10.  I don't need to play it with updated graphics.

....  /facepalm
Why the needless hate for a game that hasn't even been released yet?

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010-02-27 02:48:10 »
Hey 10 had some great gameplay mechanics! It just happened to be the case that the plot was dry and the characters were dull.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2010-02-27 02:51:01 »
Lol.  No I'm not taking anyone's word for it.  But I disliked 10 and 12, and seems to me this will be just as entertaining as those were.

Like I said about Heavy Rain, I'm tired of playing the same old games over and over with new colors.  Make something creative or innovative and I'll spend my money and time on it.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010-02-27 02:52:43 »
So your thoughts on FF13 is that you like heavy rain? lol

KnifeTheSky77

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2010-02-27 06:07:28 »
FF13 is worth at least renting, the story is pretty good. I watched some weeabo kid play through the entire game.
It gets pretty repetitive, "run down path, get in fight, continue down path, get in fight, cutscene, boss, run down path"
One of the reasons i liked ff7-ff9 was the explorability in the game, everything was downhill for me after that.
So strange a feature, i like having an explorable world map. If there were a world map in ff10 it would have felt like 7-9, at least to me
As would ff13, gran pulse doesnt count as a world map in my eyes. At least the graphics are pretty good  8)
There is still hope for ffv13 however