Author Topic: Steam or original?  (Read 4237 times)

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
Steam or original?
« on: 2014-07-01 21:28:26 »
Just curious guys, I own the original FF8 for PC, but seeing how cheap it is on steam, Which will give me the best experience?
From what I've read where before it may have been the original (like it is with 7) now the Steam version has better mod ability.
The "boosters" Do not interest me, so if i have to break the mods i'm fine with that.

Unless there is zero impact than  I'll just keep the old version

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Steam or original?
« Reply #1 on: 2014-07-01 21:32:38 »
Stick with old.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-07-01 22:10:44 »
Unless Aali do not consider to take over Omzy's Tonberry into his driver (or will find a better solution) I would say the Steam version is a good choice to go and to be honest I had problems to bring my old PC version to work with Aali's driver (the eax has refused to install correctly). However there are problems with the new re-release and Square Enix hasn't done anything against it. The texture rendering on the world map is an affront to the eyes and the resolution seems to stick at 720p. In other words the game looks better in 1280x720 with FXAA as in 1600x900 with FXAA.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-07-01 22:11:44 »
Honestly it doesn't matter nearly as much for FF8 as it does for FF7. If you already own the game and it works, don't pay for the new version unless you come across a mod that specifically needs it. If you aren't modding, as long as the game runs, both versions are roughly equivalent.

That said, if you wanna use Omzy's stuff, that pretty much requires the Steam version.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-07-01 22:38:22 »
Oh , sorry, I got lazy.  Thought this was a ff7 question.  On FF8, I agree with Covarr.  Although I like that ff8 movies are now outside package in Steam.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-07-01 22:44:59 »
Oh , sorry, I got lazy.  Thought this was a ff7 question.  On FF8, I agree with Covarr.  Although I like that ff8 movies are now outside package in Steam.

No no, i know the old version is the only good version of FF7:P

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-07-01 23:15:02 »
Right now, the only upside of the Steam version is that Omzy's tool for texture replacement works with it. If Aali ever implements a GL texture interceptor (especially one that allows for shader magic to be used with it), then the original would be better. Steam tends to overwrite mod stuff when they update things (although I don't know if they would ever update a game released over a decade ago whose source code they've since lost), and the steam save files are more annoying to edit.

If you don't mind missing out on Omzy's textures, stick with what you got.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2014-07-01 23:23:27 »
(although I don't know if they would ever update a game released over a decade ago whose source code they've since lost)
That didn't stop them from adding cheats to FF8 not two weeks ago, and breaking existing Roses and Wine installs.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #8 on: 2014-07-02 00:55:43 »
Tell them Covarr! Seriously! The only community that has dealt with FF games in such depth all those years are the qhimm forums!