Author Topic: Guide to Installing FF7Music  (Read 10550 times)

Mesden

• View Profile
Guide to Installing FF7Music
« on: 2008-04-23 04:23:48 »
Since I've yet to come across a thread which thoroughly details the installation process of FF7Music, I've written out a Tutorial on the Qhimm Message Boards to troubleshoot the application.

Step One: Download Patch 1.02
   Source: http://www.ff7-universe.com/

Click on Downloads in the Navigation Menu, then 1.02 Patch. Click on the "Readme" Link for the Instructions on applying the Patch.

Step Two: Run Final Fantasy VII

Double-click on FF7.exe to make sure the Game is working as intended. If you have problems running the Game, check the Forums
   via the Search Tool, as your problem has likely been addressed.

Step Three: Create a Ficedula Folder

Goto the directory where you installed Final Fantasy VII, presumably at C:\Program Files\Final Fantasy VII, or
   C:\Program Files\Square Soft Inc.\Final Fantasy VII. Create a Folder labeled Ficedula.

Step Four: Download FF7Music (Part 1)
   Source: http://aaron-kelley.net/hosting/ficedula/

FF7Music requires the .ini Configuration File to work properly. Since it's a pain in the butt to locate, and hasn't been included in the
   1.51 Release, Download FF7Music 1.10 via the Source Link, then Extract the Contents into the Ficedula Folder of your Final
   Fantasy VII Directory.

Step Four: Download FF7Music (Part 2)
   Source: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=5387.0

Download the latest version of FF7Music via the Source Link indicated above. You WILL be replacing the FF7Music.exe File
   indicated in Step Four (Part 1).

Step Five: Transfer the Files

Move FF7Music.dll into your Main Final Fantasy VII Folder.

Step Six: Download In_Mp3.dll / Out_Ds.dll
   Source: http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/I/in_mp3.dll/-/download.html -- (In_Mp3.dll)
   Source: http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files.php/dllfiles/O/out_ds.dll/download.html -- (Out_Ds.dll)

Using Winamp's DLLs likely won't work. Use these Source Links to Download the DLLs, then place them into your Final Fantasy VII
   Folder (C:\Program Files\Final Fantasy VII\). Don't place them into the Ficedula/FF7Music Folder.

Step Seven: Configuring FF7Music

Open up FF7Music.exe, Click on the Setup Tab. Click on the ". . ." Button and direct the Input Plugin to In_Mp3.dll, then direct the Output
   Plugin to Out_Ds.dll.

Step Eight: Gather your MP3s

Put your MP3s into a Folder, then place that Folder into your Ficedula / FF7Music Folder.

Step Nine: Setting up the MP3s to work with Final Fantasy VII
   Source: http://bluelaguna.net/music/ff7/mp3s.php

Click on the Files tab to access a list of your current PSFs. The "FF7 Music" Sticky on the Qhimm Forums will translate these PSFs into
   their proper Song Name. Double-click a PSF in the Files tab, then Browse to the MP3 you want to use instead. Use the Blue Laguna
   Source Link to Stream the MP3s because they will help you in recognizing these PSFs.

Next, Click on Playback Options:

- Check Loop Custom Files.

- Set Resuming to Selective.

- Change MIDI Device to Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth.

- Check Mute Midi on Custom Playback.

- Check Emulate Ramps.

- Check Delay Stops.

- Check Obey "Stop".

Step Ten: Muting the MIDI

Open up the Configuration Utility, Click on the MIDI tab, then uncheck Logarithmic Volume Control. Move the Volume Text to Min., uncheck
   Logarithmic Volume Control, then press Okay. Finally, load Final Fantasy VII and access the Menu Screen, then disable the Volume in the
   Configuration Settings.
« Last Edit: 2008-04-23 04:48:04 by Mesden »

pizzapizza

Re: Guide to Installing FF7Music
« Reply #1 on: 2008-05-12 14:16:14 »
I will try this when I get home, upping to see if it works for anyone else.

Edit:

ok

Click on the Files tab to access a list of your current PSFs. The "FF7 Music" Sticky on the Qhimm Forums will translate these PSFs into
   their proper Song Name. Double-click a PSF in the Files tab, then Browse to the MP3 you want to use instead. Use the Blue Laguna
   Source Link to Stream the MP3s because they will help you in recognizing these PSFs.

This is where you lost me. I don't have any PSFs?

I went ahead and tried to run it anyway, and it says "The application has failed to start because ficedula.dll was not found."

I put a ficedula.dll file in there and I get a runtime error.  :? :? :? :-o :-o :-( :-( :-( :-( plz kill me  :x :x :x :x :x
« Last Edit: 2008-05-12 20:19:11 by pizzapizza »

RaiseAdult

« Reply #2 on: 2008-05-12 21:59:45 »
added: Thanks for leaving a guide it helped!  :mrgreen:

but im not sure what i can do with this error

I believed it started working when i lowered the volume on the game, But i still get an error saying
"error setting direct sound cooperative level; Please shutdown other programs using your soundcard. Error code: 80070057"

« Last Edit: 2008-05-12 22:15:35 by RaiseAdult »

Mesden

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-05-12 23:18:03 »
I will try this when I get home, upping to see if it works for anyone else.

Edit:

ok

This is where you lost me. I don't have any PSFs?

I went ahead and tried to run it anyway, and it says "The application has failed to start because ficedula.dll was not found."

I put a ficedula.dll file in there and I get a runtime error.  :? :? :? :-o :-o :-( :-( :-( :-( plz kill me  :x :x :x :x :x

Some of the FF7Music Directories come with a PSF Folder. If you don't have a PSF Folder, just replace the word PSF with MP3.

Try placing the Ficedula.dll and Ficeconsole.dll into your main FF7 Directory, not in the FF7Music Folder.
« Last Edit: 2008-05-12 23:23:00 by Mesden »

Mesden

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-05-12 23:21:59 »
added: Thanks for leaving a guide it helped!  :mrgreen:

but im not sure what i can do with this error

I believed it started working when i lowered the volume on the game, But i still get an error saying
"error setting direct sound cooperative level; Please shutdown other programs using your soundcard. Error code: 80070057"

Reinstall Winamp and update your old sound card drivers. You might also have programs running in the background which are using your sound card.

RaiseAdult

« Reply #5 on: 2008-05-13 00:26:04 »

Reinstall Winamp and update your old sound card drivers. You might also have programs running in the background which are using your sound card.

Hmmm.. i actually dont even have a winamp installed on my computer, and i wouldnt really know how to update my sound card drivers? is that something i can download?

clintonius

« Reply #6 on: 2008-05-13 01:04:19 »
Mesden, as you seem to know what you're talking about, is there any chance I could get you to take a look at my problem? FF7music just doesn't want to work for me, and I've followed the instructions here to a tee (several times, actually). The thread is here: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=7565.0, and it contains my .ini file to look at, as well as a more detailed description. Thanks so much!

pizzapizza

« Reply #7 on: 2008-05-13 02:23:54 »
I did put the dll files in the main directory. I put the ficedula.dll in and it asked for ff7music.dll, which does not come with the latest version. It didnt do anything with the console.dll. So I put in an older ff7music.dll, and the game crashed before loading.

Mesden

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008-05-14 22:04:00 »
Mesden, as you seem to know what you're talking about, is there any chance I could get you to take a look at my problem? FF7music just doesn't want to work for me, and I've followed the instructions here to a tee (several times, actually). The thread is here: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=7565.0, and it contains my .ini file to look at, as well as a more detailed description. Thanks so much!

Check where your Ficeconsole.dll File is located, check where your Ficedula.dll File is located, make sure you have the right options checked, make sure FF7Music.ini is in the proper folder, you may need to redownload it.. If that doesn't work, try a fresh reinstall of FF7.

Mesden

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008-05-14 22:04:50 »
I did put the dll files in the main directory. I put the ficedula.dll in and it asked for ff7music.dll, which does not come with the latest version. It didnt do anything with the console.dll. So I put in an older ff7music.dll, and the game crashed before loading.

what was the error message

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008-05-14 23:33:09 »
You don't need ficedula.dll.
Ficelib versions - should be completely irrelevant now since v1.5 doesn't require or use FICEDULA.DLL - you don't need any version present.

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008-05-14 23:39:23 »
As the previous poster said before me, you don't need ficedula.dll or ficeconsole.dll

They're actually known for causing problems with the 1.51 version of ff7music (latest).

Mesden

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008-05-15 03:31:08 »
As the previous poster said before me, you don't need ficedula.dll or ficeconsole.dll

They're actually known for causing problems with the 1.51 version of ff7music (latest).

Really? Mine won't work without them  :|

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008-05-15 10:37:46 »
Another semi-common problem that's gone unanswered on this board is the selective cutscene sounds. Basically, some movies play sound in the background and some don't. For those of us with the problem, we don't hear Reactor #1 explode or Jesse setting the bomb. But we do hear, for example, the Junon elevator by the Highwind raise and lower, and Diamond Weapon launching projectiles at Midgar.
I wish more people would come forward with this problem because I know a lot of people have it. And along with the problem, people NEED to post their sound info (hardware and drivers). I've been suspecting it has to do with onboard soundMAX, but I can't confirm.

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008-05-16 02:04:34 »

Really? Mine won't work without them  :|

Are you certain you're using the latest version of ff7music ?  The author himself (ficedula) had said they caused issue if these files are kept.

The latest version can be found there : http://sylphds.net/f2k3/index.html

It doesn't have an ff7music.ini included however so make sure to keep yours.

StandardFiend

« Reply #15 on: 2008-05-21 03:08:41 »
When I click the "Files" tab, I get absolutely nothing. I followed all your steps to the letter, Mesden, but nothing appears there. How can I fix this? And why is this program so retardedly difficult to get functioning correctly? Unbelievably annoying. This is the ONE mod that I REALLY want to use, more than any other, and it's the ONE mod that I simply cannot get to work. It seems every time I try to do it, the situation becomes worse than it was before. Following some of the other tutorials out there, I was actually able to get the Profiles, but now they don't even show up any more. Any help from anyone here would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Would anyone who has got their FF7Music to function correctly be willing to post an Image Tutorial for it? Like, step-by-step screen shots? That way, it'd be easier to determine what is wrong.
« Last Edit: 2008-05-21 04:35:15 by StandardFiend »