Author Topic: Problem with aali's gl driver  (Read 7818 times)

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
Problem with aali's gl driver
« on: 2010-03-01 20:13:09 »
Ok, so up until recently I've been using the custom GL driver with my FFVII. It worked fine for a while, althought I've found that a lot of my spells looked fk'd up because of fancy transparency. But I just recently got APZ cloud on my game, and being that I still had res set to 640x480 I figured maybe it would look a little better in a higher res. So I tried to install the saints high-res patch, because at the time, I didn't know how to set the resolution with the custom GL (I've figured it out now). However, this made my game lag to extreme hell. So I figured I'd just undo the saint patch and that would fix it, but it didn't. So I even reinstalled after backing up all my custom stuff (I just spent , off and on, 2 days modifying materia in my kernel.) but even reinstalling it didn't change the lag. however, I've noticed that it only lags when I insert the custom GL into the registry, and when I just use the FFVII config manager, it works normally. So I've pretty much gotten it to the custom GL is causing the lag now, but I don't know why, I even re-downloaded it, but no luck. Anyone know what I can do to fix this, or if its really that necessary for me to use the custom GL?

Kranmer

• View Profile
Re: Problem with aali's gl driver
« Reply #1 on: 2010-03-01 20:26:29 »
well it could very well be the settings your using for the openGL driver thats causing it to run slow, it will depend on alot of things, Like for example if it ran perfect at 640x480 but now your running at a higher res that could cause problems or it could be the openGL version you have for your graphics card, if you post more info on your system (like RAM, Graphics card+drivers, Processor etc) it might help diagnose the problem or you could just try randomly setting everything in the opengl config to the lowest settings (like smallest resolution etc) and see what happens.

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-03-01 20:28:49 »
Well, the thing is, in re-downloading the driver, it changed all the setting back to what they were before. So in theory it should go back to working normally... least that's what I thought.

Hardware:
Dell Inspiron E1505
Processor: 1.8 GHz Intel Core Solo T1350
Ram: 512 MB DDR2-SDRAM
Video(sucks): Mobile Intel 946GM Express Chipset Family

All my driver's are up to date as far as I know. I just updated everything last week when I reinstalled windows :P
« Last Edit: 2010-03-01 20:37:03 by Immortal Damyn »

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-03-01 20:39:11 »
Saints patch is buggy. Aali's driver does the same, You just have to edit the .cfg file with notepad (right click, open with)

Now, reinstall FF7, Or re apply the v1.02 .exe file as i believe saints patch only modifies that. (i'd try the ladder first)

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-03-01 20:46:38 »
I've tried all of the above :P. I'd rather not edit the cfg file because when I re-downloaded it, it set all the settings back to stock. Which is what I had them at originally, when things worked. I've replaced the v1.02 .exe and reinstalled, which in turn made me replace the 1.02 .exe again. None of that worked....

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-03-01 21:00:31 »
are you using the same driver version as before ? what version are you using now ? do you have the VC++ redist installed ?
also from what i remember about the "Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset Family" (i know its not the same as urs but its close) it has crappy opengl2 support so i really would recommend setting it to "no". to do this open the CFG file in notepad (or whatever editor you use) and change

# use shaders, if available and supported
# turn shaders off to use the OpenGL 1.1 backend
use_shaders = yes

to

# use shaders, if available and supported
# turn shaders off to use the OpenGL 1.1 backend
use_shaders = no

and see if that makes any difference. (i also really hate the mobile intel graphic card for laptops, i have had loads of them and they all suck thats why i play games on one of my normal PC's instead of my laptops)

EDIT:- also you may want to try a older driver if you was using a older one previously because intel have a habit of changing things in their drivers to try and make things better but more often then not they end up breaking some older games
« Last Edit: 2010-03-01 21:04:34 by kranmer »

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #6 on: 2010-03-01 21:13:08 »
kranmer i was just about to suggest that config change...

on my system saints patch as killed ff7.

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-03-01 21:14:04 »
Im using the same driver I was last time. And I tried turning the shaders off, didn't do anything....

I know laptop stuff sucks, the only reason I have it is because it's the only computer I got. If I had the money, I'd have me a nice desktop right now. I rather hate laptops, they aren't meant for gaming. But right now, its all I have to work with. And it WAS running FFVII perfectly fine before. I honestly don't know why it's just now doing this. It worked perfectly before the Saint patch... I've got everything exactly the way it was before I used the patch, but still nothing.

I think something's causing my 1.02 .exe to conflict with the GL driver. I just used my backup fresh install of 7 and it ran fine with the custom GL, but when I put the 1.02 .exe in it started to mess up again.
« Last Edit: 2010-03-01 21:24:39 by Immortal Damyn »

idl12

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-03-01 21:58:54 »
very wierd problem but i heard that some people experienced lag when the nvidia box in ff7 config wasn't checked regardless of the graphlcs card type and make sure post processing is off as well as linear filtering(these made my game lag on a high end pc)

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-03-01 22:07:33 »
OK, one last time, so everyone understands. My settings, are exactly the same as standard when you download the driver from the link given on aali's thread. It's the same EXACT settings I used before I used the saint resolution patch. I have changed nothing from the way it was before the patch. Which before the patch, it worked absolutely flawlessly. So I don't think editing the cfg is going to do anything for me. For one, it's something between the 1.02 exe and the driver. And also because most of the things I'm being told to do are already default settings...

EDIT: Ok, after going through everything on my computer, I found out the Intel is retarded. And for some reason, when I hooked my monitor up to my laptop, it reset the color settings to 16 bit... I don't know why, but that's what it did. And being in 16 bit mode, it caused the game to lag like a bitch because I was using the custom GL. So I just had to change it back to 32 bit and that fixed it. I guess for some reason FFVII Config manager can actually tell the computer to run in 32 bit mode when the game starts, and the custom GL cant...?
« Last Edit: 2010-03-01 22:15:47 by Immortal Damyn »

idl12

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-03-01 22:39:19 »
i did not mean the gl cfg, i meant the ff7 cfg that came with the game im saying that you should check the nvidia box under the graphics tab and then run the gl.reg file

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-03-01 23:09:25 »
i did not mean the gl cfg, i meant the ff7 cfg that came with the game im saying that you should check the nvidia box under the graphics tab and then run the gl.reg file
Either way, problem solved. Thanks anyway.

idl12

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-03-02 00:42:13 »
sure , i remember when i first installed the open gl driver ,problems abound, hell the refused to start and was figuratively calling me a retard, i really wish read these forums properlly then i wouldn't have a gaping hole wheremy brain used to be :)