Author Topic: Some one hear this  (Read 12717 times)

Mofokubik

• View Profile
Some one hear this
« on: 2003-03-19 19:34:35 »
This is a test of the soundfont im making
it uses around 4mb of memory

Test1
Test2

please tell me what you think

Jedimark

• View Profile
Some one hear this
« Reply #1 on: 2003-03-19 20:06:30 »
Sounds good to me :)

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
Some one hear this
« Reply #2 on: 2003-03-20 11:34:14 »
Dunno, sounds good, exactly like XG synth i used to have activated when i had ff7. (i heard some small differences though)

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
Some one hear this
« Reply #3 on: 2003-03-20 22:12:28 »
Wanna join the near non-existent PCDLS Project?

Mofokubik

• View Profile
Some one hear this
« Reply #4 on: 2003-03-21 01:58:13 »
what is that

NetHead

• View Profile
Haha... Seriously, let's get organized
« Reply #5 on: 2003-03-21 18:03:09 »
Heh, it was a project that would attempt to create a DLS file for the Microsoft GS Synth (or DLS synth, if we could get some programmers ;)). However, we just need to get our lazy asses going :).

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
Some one hear this
« Reply #6 on: 2003-03-21 18:27:50 »
Once again the damn school computers delete a lengthy post.

Lemme summarize.

Nethead's is good but buggy and big.

Yours is small and doesn't sound too shabby.

We're all Lazy.

We could use Fice's help (wink wink!)

While not true for all systems, this should increase MIDI quality across the board on some configs (like mine  :D)

There we go.

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
Some one hear this
« Reply #7 on: 2003-03-21 19:20:46 »
...and what d'you need my help for?

Mofokubik

• View Profile
Re: Haha... Seriously, let's get organized
« Reply #8 on: 2003-03-21 20:52:33 »
Quote from: NetHead
Heh, it was a project that would attempt to create a DLS file for the Microsoft GS Synth (or DLS synth, if we could get some programmers)

i think they want you to program
but i will help in any way
im getting sick of sf2 files anyway

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
Some one hear this
« Reply #9 on: 2003-03-21 21:28:14 »
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure what part of an SF2 or DLS project needs programming help though. FF7Music is working well enough now that I'm aware of (has anyone tried my latest version?) which is the only project of mine that seems relevant ;)

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
Some one hear this
« Reply #10 on: 2003-03-22 02:09:52 »
DLS-synths are usually hidden devices. Unless you're using Winamp of FF7Music, you can't really access them.

For example, my WDM device can really kick some ass on some applications, but I can't select it from the control panel.

What we need is a sort of a "loopback" as NetHead puts it, so that when you select the MS GS Synth, what you're really getting is the WDM device or MS DLS Synth.

Also, a DLS loader for Windows would be nice. Seeing as how there are no such loaders, except for your typical Creative or Turtle-whatever sound card. Replacing the GM.DLS synth (which is the main problem) is what we would be looking at here.

Stoopid Windows File Protection.

Mofokubik

• View Profile
asdgjhsdfl;gjhr;klhsda;ljhrl;jkasdfhkl
« Reply #11 on: 2003-03-22 22:34:24 »
well, no more soundfont
my hard drive crashed last night, right after installing direct x 9
all my stuff is gone, forever.
all my dc game images, emulation, soundfonts, music.
im depressed already.

just another microsoft victom

Nori

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2003-03-23 02:18:05 »
Which OS are you using??!!  
If you're using 98SE, 2000, ME & XP
'System Restore' will fix the DX9 problem...

Partitions for backup =3

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
Some one hear this
« Reply #13 on: 2003-03-23 16:41:17 »
You mean it literally crashed, as in destroyed your hard drive?

Or are you just having registry problems?

Mofokubik

• View Profile
Some one hear this
« Reply #14 on: 2003-03-23 17:20:48 »
it is winxp home,ive tried repairing the partition table, it didnt work
it wouldnt even boot up, it showed the emachines logo, went black, then showed emachines, and went black, and kept doing that, it was trying to read the hd, but didnt even tell me there was something wrong.

no matter
i format, reinstall win, in 10-20 min, and im back up.
only problem is, i have to get my soundcard drivers, so i can start my soundfont all over again.

Contra

• View Profile
    • http://contraspontanus.deviantart.com
Some one hear this
« Reply #15 on: 2003-03-23 17:54:10 »
Kinda reminds me of what happened to mine... Every boot gave me a BSOD for about a half second, and then restarted. I've looked into it, and this seems to be a problem caused by a corrupt kernel.  Reinstalling windows (without formatting) was the easiest way I've found to fix it... I've had to do this thrice. =/ either way, on a side note to the main topic... would it be possible to make a soundfont out of ff7.psflib? Wouldn't that be a perfect immitation of the PSX sound?

~Contra the Stampede~

Mofokubik

• View Profile
Some one hear this
« Reply #16 on: 2003-03-23 18:20:58 »
maybe you could rip the samples out of a psf file, and put it into a soundfont file. but still wouldnt sound more psx like than the psf file itself.

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
Some one hear this
« Reply #17 on: 2003-03-23 19:12:33 »
Damn . . . I really feel for you there.  I had that 'scare' just the other day when I thought I lost all of my stuff.  (I had set the NTFS permissions to the folder that I keep the bulk of my 'projects', images, school stuff, etc. in so that only *my* user could access it.  I pretty much did it one day to see how it worked . . . I forgot about it until I backed everything up onto another partition so I could re-format and re-install Windows.  I was afraid all my information was gonna be locked, but luckily, the NTFS permissions didn't copy over when I backed it up.)

It's a shame on that soundfont, too.  I listened to those 2 MP3s and they sounded pretty good.  How'd you manage that in just 4 megs?  (If you've seen my Soundfont, it's around 23 Megs.)

If it ever happens again where Windows refuses to start, take the drive over to a buddy's house (who has some version NT, 2k, or XP, if you're using NTFS) and install it as a slave in his machine.  Usually when windows F---'s itself like that, it doesn't take all your information with it.

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
Some one hear this
« Reply #18 on: 2003-03-23 20:15:30 »
Windows ME baby. None of those problems 8)

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
Some one hear this
« Reply #19 on: 2003-03-23 20:31:18 »
Windows ME baby. None of those problems

And how many other problems are there...?  Granted, there is no perfect OS, but in my experience (as a computer technician, for 2+ years), ME has way more problems than XP.  This may not be the case for you, but it is indeed the case in general.

If you get bluescreens on startup, it can usually be fixed with a recovery installation.  Boot off the XP CD, wait for all the crap to load, press "Enter" to install, and "F8" to agree to the licence.  It will scan for previous Windows installations at this point, and it should find your old XP.  Highlight it and press "R" to attempt a recovery installation on it.  This has fixed my "blue screen on startup" a couple of times.

If this doesn't work, you can reinstall Windows without reformatting.  Upon completion of the installation, you can copy your old user's folder in the Documents and Settings folder to the new one, and this will allow you to keep a lot of your settings, IE favorites, My Documents, Start Menu programs, etc.  AND, all of your files will still be there.  You will have to reinstall programs that refuse to run without the stuff they put into the registry when they were first installed.

The only reason I got the "blue screen on startup" is because I was experimenting with WinXP/Linux dual-booting (using the NT Loader), and it didn't like it when I messed around with the partitions.

Mofokubik

• View Profile
Some one hear this
« Reply #20 on: 2003-03-23 20:42:50 »
i wanted to put my drive in my brotheres computer to take off some impotant stuff, like the soundfont for one, but he wouldnt let me.
i offered him some stuff, and now he regrets not taking the deal.
owell. i began working on my new soundfont, ands its already way better than the origonal.

oh, and just to note this, the winxp cds i got with this computer only allows you to reformat winxp, there is no REAL restore, its just for reinstalling winxp....mainly because all the drivers and software are included.

also, i found an old test ver of my soundfont on my parents computer,
it has bugs and missing alot of the best instruments ive made, but i dont care.
im done with this one.
do whatever you want with this, it is junk as far as im concerned.
http://bin.mypage.sk/FILES/fdjhisfugf.SF2

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
Some one hear this
« Reply #21 on: 2003-03-24 18:11:52 »
Me no like Creative Fonts. Kill :wicked:

Anyway, Windows ME is killer stable on my system, but that's because I took the time to tweak it.

The only problems I have with it are slowdowns after it's been on continuously for over a day, running file-sharing servers. A 30-60 second reboot fixes that ^^

The trick is disabling many of the background apps and makng sure you're running clean, meaning no background clutter that isn't from Windows itself.

"Winmgt" is EVIL. KILL IT!

Lord Kane

• View Profile
    • http://lordkane.co.uk
Some one hear this
« Reply #22 on: 2003-03-24 19:36:51 »
>The only problems I have with it are slowdowns after it's been on continuously for over a day, running file-sharing servers. A 30-60 second reboot fixes that ^^

My Windows XP has an uptime measured in weeks, and is just as fast as it was when it last booted up.

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
Some one hear this
« Reply #23 on: 2003-03-24 21:58:04 »
It's mostly an issue with the file-sharing software I'm running. It kind of eats resources, most of which I can't get back with stability. I'm running KaZaA lite with all sorts of badly-coded, new hacks. They eat and leak.

Mofokubik

• View Profile
Some one hear this
« Reply #24 on: 2003-03-24 22:01:23 »
i use the new version of kazaa lite, and soulseek, and face no problems with those.

im telling you people, get soulseek, its like audiogalexy, kazaa, and irc chat all in one. if you do get it, talk to me, my name is Mofokubik