Read this first! > Announcements and site development

Temporary forums

<< < (2/9) > >>

Sad Jari:

--- Quote from: Qhimm on 2006-05-08 15:10:28 ---I'd like to avoid blocking guest searching unless really necessary... ironically on phpbb the critical issue was not the searching itself (that is just a quick lookup into a search word index, 1-2 queries), but rather the maintenance of said index, which had to be updated whenever some post content changed. Not horribly performance-intensive (just space-consuming), but it did add 1-2 queries to whatever action you ever took which modified the content.
--- End quote ---

Does SMF use similar index (I suppose it does...)?

Could the updates be cached and and the index itself modified only once per day, for example? If search is the only thing dependent on it, I don't see a huge problems if it's lagging little bit behind.

--- Quote from: Qhimm on 2006-05-08 15:10:28 ---EDIT:
I also hear talk of using AJAX techniques in the newest SMF, to further reduce server load. For those of you who think soccer or cleaning when you hear "AJAX"...

--- End quote ---

War rocket Ajax, Flash Gordon.

PS. The smilies are ugly.

Jedimark:
Oh this is going to take some getting used to! Glad it's back online though....

:mrgreen: < heheheheh

Qhimm:

--- Quote from: Sad Jari on 2006-05-08 15:57:50 ---Does SMF use similar index (I suppose it does...)?

--- End quote ---
I'm not sure actually, I think it doesn't. Partly because it has a more feature-rich search than phpBB, and mostly because I can't find a cached search table. It's quite fast though, uses relatively few queries, but I suspect those queries are immensely heavy. Then again, I'm not sure whether it was the intensity of the MySQL queries that forced the shutdown of the site, or merely the sheer number of them (possibly caused by search engines and/or faulty phpBB code). For now I'm assuming search = heavy.

--- Quote from: Sad Jari on 2006-05-08 15:57:50 ---Could the updates be cached and and the index itself modified only once per day, for example? If search is the only thing dependent on it, I don't see a huge problems if it's lagging little bit behind.

--- End quote ---
Quite possibly, though if SMF doesn't use an index at all, there's going to be some work involved. It might be easier to actually try to structure the forums themselves to make it easier to find things, e.g. a proper FAQ and a real, dedicated, post archive (with proper, indexed search).

--- Quote from: Sad Jari on 2006-05-08 15:57:50 ---War rocket Ajax, Flash Gordon.

--- End quote ---
*adds to list*

And yes, the smilies are ugly. Dunno what's best though, import the phpBB ones or look for good ones. Perhaps a contest? Suggest the new smiley theme/set, win a ...coconut!

Cyberman:
Weee :D

Qhimm I've noticed the Guest to user ratio is quite high.  When I loged in today it was 15:4 it's now 8:4.  This could be part of your SQL traffic issues.  A lot of people lurking in generates a lot of traffic.
I know the day I was doing Wiki stuff when the stuff hit the fans, things were just insane (IE server waits 5 minutes for update then says it shut down then says it's offline then comes back up).
Perhaps you should graph the guest traffic and see if this might be the real killer.  Querrying the forums etc. as a guest is useful however it seems to be a bit excessive for the server.  I'll look at PHPbb and see how it handles it myself. :D (I'm always curious sad isn't that?)

Scarily I've already made two posts.. this make me a bad user? ;)

Cyb

Sad Jari:

--- Quote from: Qhimm on 2006-05-08 16:24:22 ---And yes, the smilies are ugly. Dunno what's best though, import the phpBB ones or look for good ones. Perhaps a contest? Suggest the new smiley theme/set, win a ...coconut!

--- End quote ---

I suppose that some of the phpBB smiley-sets might have something appropriate.

BTW, the warning that there has been a new post (that you haven't seen yet) when you start typing a reply is rather cool. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version