Author Topic: [FF8]FF8.exe (Modified)  (Read 8714 times)

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
[FF8]FF8.exe (Modified)
« on: 2010-05-30 06:11:56 »
I may download your launcher but.. What does it actually do first?? I can't risk messing up mu ff8 again since I just got it working at its best.

nikfrozty

• View Profile
[FF8]FF8.exe (Modified)
« Reply #1 on: 2010-05-30 06:39:57 »
Interesting. So it changes how the menu in the game looks?? But is restored when you exit it. I might just try your program man. But sorry not now since I'm busy with some stuff but I'll definitely come back to this again. Nice work. ;D

Mendelevium

• View Profile
[FF8]FF8.exe (Modified)
« Reply #2 on: 2010-05-30 21:48:17 »
I hate to be a kill-joy; but doesn't Aali's drivers do this very thing already?

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
[FF8]FF8.exe (Modified)
« Reply #3 on: 2010-05-30 22:22:18 »
pretty much.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
[FF8]FF8.exe (Modified)
« Reply #4 on: 2010-05-31 01:50:50 »
This is good, but Aali's driver does the same exact thing. I guess if people don't want the hassle of downloading and configuring Aali's driver, they can use this instead.
« Last Edit: 2010-05-31 02:02:19 by DarkFang »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
[FF8]FF8.exe (Modified)
« Reply #5 on: 2010-05-31 01:53:48 »
Well we can all see how you probably got your copy of Final Fantasy VIII. *looks at uTorrent icon*

That is a large logical leap to be making. Just because someone has a bittorent client does not mean they pirated FFVIII. Lets not try to alienate people that are trying to contribute.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
[FF8]FF8.exe (Modified)
« Reply #6 on: 2010-05-31 01:57:35 »
Well we can all see how you probably got your copy of Final Fantasy VIII. *looks at uTorrent icon*

That is a large logical leap to be making. Just because someone has a bittorent client does not mean they pirated FFVIII. Lets not try to alienate people that are trying to contribute.

I appreciate him contributing to the forum but as Mendelevium said, Aali's driver does the same thing.

And I said probably. I didn't really accuse him, I was assuming.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
[FF8]FF8.exe (Modified)
« Reply #7 on: 2010-05-31 02:00:34 »
If you weren't accusing him then what was the point of your post?

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
[FF8]FF8.exe (Modified)
« Reply #8 on: 2010-05-31 02:01:26 »
If you weren't accusing him then what was the point of your post?

I guess you're right. I'll delete it.

EDIT: Okay apparently I can't delete it, so I modified it.

nikfrozty

• View Profile
[FF8]FF8.exe (Modified)
« Reply #9 on: 2010-05-31 08:04:24 »
Hmm.. I don't get what you are saying. What do you answer in the yes and no part of your post?? You should say you don't have a pirated version of the game if you don't. :)

obesebear

• View Profile
[FF8]FF8.exe (Modified)
« Reply #10 on: 2010-06-01 03:34:34 »
You don't need to bump anything.   If a post is edited, it displays the thread as "new".

Also, please ignore the more annoying members here.    Yes, Aali's driver can already do what you have done, but the fact of the matter is your first post was trying to contribute to the community.  And for that I say WELCOME!

I'm not sure how good you are with this kind of thing, but the FFVIII PC version never uses the "close up" graphics on the world map.  Instead, it always uses the "distant" ones.   If you can find a way to make the engine always use the "close up" graphics instead, I'm sure all the FFVIII fans will love you forever.

smf052910

• View Profile
[FF8]FF8.exe (Modified)
« Reply #11 on: 2010-06-01 03:38:23 »
Are you referring to the high resolution textures, like on the PS? Also, did you read the edited post? I completely changed what I had originally uploaded.

obesebear

• View Profile
[FF8]FF8.exe (Modified)
« Reply #12 on: 2010-06-01 03:45:27 »
Actually I didn't.  I haven't played FF8 in a long, long time, and never really had interest in the game.

Yes I am comparing the way the PSX world map operates to the way the PC one does.   On the PSX distant textures use smaller, less detailed files.  Then, once you get close to them the higher resolution ones are used.   The PC doesn't do this, it only uses the lower resolution ones.

Whether or not those files are even in the PC version, I don't know.  But like I said, if you can find them, you'll make a lot of people happy.

smf052910

• View Profile
[FF8]FF8.exe (Modified)
« Reply #13 on: 2010-06-01 03:58:05 »
They probably aren't even present. Take the music quality, for example. I believe the PS version uses a low bit rate audio format, while the PC version uses MIDI. I'm afraid the only way to "fix" this is by extracting the default textures and replacing them with the higher resolution textures.

Aali

• View Profile
Re: [FF8]FF8.exe (Modified)
« Reply #14 on: 2010-06-10 23:52:07 »
The high res textures are present, kind-of. There are higher-res textures that appear to be the missing high-res versions. However, when I tried to apply them ingame (by simply replacing the texture using the external texture feature of the custom driver) it didn't really look good (I don't remember clearly but I think there were some alignment issues) and it was still nowhere near the quality you get on the PSX. How to get the same level of detail as on the PSX remains a mystery I'm afraid.

ellelaby

« Reply #15 on: 2010-06-13 06:26:29 »
whats this supposed to do.

Tsetra

• View Profile
Re: [FF8]FF8Launcher
« Reply #16 on: 2010-06-18 22:21:56 »
I say bring on the Final Fantasy VIII content, no matter what it is. I bet there are so many hidden gems stowed away in this game. We're still unsurfacing things from VII even with all of our programs to tear it apart. Wouldn't surprise me if half of VIII was ripped away as well.

smf052910

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010-06-19 03:39:40 »
I'm not sure why this was split between two different threads, but the original thread can be found here.

The high res textures are present, kind-of. There are higher-res textures that appear to be the missing high-res versions. However, when I tried to apply them ingame (by simply replacing the texture using the external texture feature of the custom driver) it didn't really look good (I don't remember clearly but I think there were some alignment issues) and it was still nowhere near the quality you get on the PSX. How to get the same level of detail as on the PSX remains a mystery I'm afraid.

Could you post a screenshot of the textures?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010-06-19 03:43:55 »
It was split because releases and discussion of releases go in two separate forums.