Author Topic: Hi - also new, and also keen to help :)  (Read 10111 times)

pr0d!gy

Hi - also new, and also keen to help :)
« on: 2010-07-20 20:27:04 »
Hey, I'm a huge fan of Final Fantasy VII (although I never was able to finish it... shame on me), and I saw the work that Millenia was doing on this project and I was immediately intrigued at the fact that such a project even exists! I would love to be able to help you guys in any way that I can.

I have some knowledge with modelling with 3dsmax, and I used to be active doing textures for Counter-Strike years ago before I started university. Here's some of the work that I've done:

Knife (2008):

C4 (2007):

Grenades (2005):

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hi - also new, and also keen to help :)
« Reply #1 on: 2010-07-20 20:32:05 »
very nice, most of the realtime elements of the bombing mission are nearly done. How's yer character modeling? If yer interested in items, we need a potion, and a green materia (i think thats all). Alternatively, our field backgrounds need a lot of texture work. If yer into that, get in touch wtih SL1982, as he has a great number of scenes modeled, but not textured.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-07-20 22:08:40 »
Does this mark the start of a CDG invasion?

Kaiser

« Reply #3 on: 2010-07-21 13:08:24 »
I'm new and would really like to help aswell, I havent done much 3d moddeling like prod!gy (great work by the way, well done) but I can do skins and over texture......I'm also a good idea man.

Anyway I can help and I'll be glad to do it.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-07-21 14:47:20 »
got any past works to show kaiser?

Kaiser

« Reply #5 on: 2010-07-22 11:10:24 »
Alas no, I've changed computers andI dont have many bits of my art work on here, certainly no skins or textures.

If you send me a texture I could work on that, send it back and you could see what you think.

I'm good with weapon design btw. :P

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-07-22 16:36:37 »

Unfortunately, we already have someone who's quite good at weapon design ;D

Well, maybe you and Millenia can have a competition with each other to see who can make the best weapons.

Kaiser

« Reply #7 on: 2010-07-22 16:52:02 »
Arh, a competition.....*pressure to win*

I'll be happy texturing anything to be honest. :)

Who's getting the immense honour to texture Clouds motorbike?

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-07-22 16:58:37 »
It honestly has not been given out yet as we are remaking the game in sections. And that is still a ways away.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-07-22 17:03:08 »
There are still quite a few texturing jobs for the Bombing mission that are unclaimed. Perhaps you can have a look in the first post of the bombing mission thread and see if anything takes your fancy...

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-07-22 17:10:41 »
Also take a look at the bombing mission gallery as it has screens of what has been done and what is being worked on.

Kaiser

« Reply #11 on: 2010-07-22 17:53:03 »
Thanks comráds, I'll take a look and get back to you all when I have something to show.

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-07-22 21:54:52 »
If I may make a suggestion, you should mention what you're working on as it will be reserved to you and avoid work in double being done.

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-07-24 03:00:21 »

There's still the need for an accurate buster sword, with correct hole positioning and blade edge. Replicating the official CGI art version (as seen on the US cover) would be instant win. I'm normally not one to nitpick, but it's the most prominent weapon in the game...

Reference photo: http://www.ffodyssey.com/wallpapers/ff7/ff7_cloud_1024x768.jpg
« Last Edit: 2010-07-24 03:09:36 by Tsetra »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010-07-24 03:06:29 »

There's still the need for an accurate buster sword, with correct hole positioning and blade edge. Replicating the official CGI art version (as seen on the US cover) would be instant win. I'm normally not one to nitpick, but it's the most prominent weapon in the game...

That would probably be better off being done later; at the moment, most things in the game don't even have one hi-res model and I'd say that they take priority over something whose hi-res model isn't ideal.

Also, what about Apz's sword? If the textures from that weren't ripped, then I think it's usable (even if the style is a little too CC)

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010-07-24 03:15:39 »
In any other case I'd agree with you and while what you say has more than enough merit and I might just be a perfectionist, I think it's a little facepalm-worthy to consider the project as true as possible to the original and then immediately - in the very first battle - show off perhaps the most iconic weapon in FF history incorrectly. That's all I'm saying, here. Millenia has no doubt the best model so far. A simple realigning of the holes and having the tip of the blade narrow down to the end would make modeling the original version pointless forever after as it would be perfect, but I believe he's said he doesn't want to mess with it anymore which leaves the door wide open for the TC to give it a shot.  :)

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010-07-24 03:32:21 »
I have an acurate model

Texture is kinda laem, but the uvs are good, and the basics are there for mill to b*tch it up. It has a fair bit of detail as far as model is concerned. I dont recall but it was like... 500-600 tris i think (more than necesary). He'll have fun with it :P

btw tsetra, what do u mean the TC to give it a shot?

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010-07-24 17:50:00 »
I meant that the topic creator, Kaiser, could try his hand at the buster sword. Love your model, though. It looks just as it should. With a good texture I would consider it flawless, even.

Kaiser

« Reply #18 on: 2010-07-25 12:51:18 »
I'm not really sure what you want me to do with the Buster Sword.
Theirs already so many versions of it, depends which one you want for the game.

GI-Jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010-07-29 05:12:29 »
@ Timu
I really like that model of the buster sword. Could you possibly release it so I can use that one instead of Millenia's? I also feel just like Tsetra does and believe the buster sword really is important for right now.  Who knows maybe if Millenia doesn't wanna texture it I will give it a try but I don't really have much experience though I'm willing to learn.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010-07-29 15:31:57 »
oh he will texture it  :evil: