Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4878780 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.4)
« Reply #4125 on: 2016-09-07 19:35:22 »
Update on progress and general goings-on; I enrolled for college again this term and while things aren't intensive yet, I'll end up juggling between that and the mod if I don't get Dark Cave done soon. I've also been making small improvements to existing scenes after seeing some flaws in people's YT/Twitch vids, and a lot of the Disc 2/3 enemies + bosses are being tweaked; this needs to be in place so I can spec the DK enemies properly.

Got a request regarding this; would it be possible to get some save files from Disc 2/3 from different players? This'd let me try out fights with different team compositions/equipment availability and get a bigger a picture of how things can pan out that late in the game. The default address for steam save files is: C:\Users\User Name\Documents\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII Steam\user_#######

And a big thanks to EJ and JP for the donations D:

Edit: By the by, EJ; the IRO on the front page should be up-to-date currently; let me know if you have problems setting it up to run with 7H.
« Last Edit: 2016-09-07 19:53:39 by Sega Chief »

GeoFlare

• View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: 2016-09-07 23:25:05 »
I have a few different save files from all over the place that you could use. All the files in light red (color of save screen) are playthroughs of 1.4 mod.  I have a file right after Aerith's death, one before Midgar raid, one before Hojo, a few inside Gaea's cliff, and various other ones you could use for disk 2. Just let me know how to get the files to you.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: 2016-09-07 23:47:08 »
Sounds like what I'm looking for; any file-sharing site like mediafire would do the trick. I've got dropbox but I'll need to find out what my login is again.

GeoFlare

• View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: 2016-09-08 00:08:03 »
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/12da0e5d2bzdh/Final_fantasy_7_saves

Here you are. Most of the files you would be looking for would be in saves 4,6, and 7 but feel free to use any. Just in case it's relevant I mostly use Aerith, Cloud, and Tifa.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: 2016-09-08 00:22:21 »
Thanks, bud.

Spotty Len

• View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: 2016-09-08 16:14:59 »
I also got saves files you can use, I saved all over the place from the start of the game. I am currently morphing monsters in the Northern Crater, so endgame stuff is mostly what you will find in save4, but all the other ones were taken in various places.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/yv8ku8

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: 2016-09-08 17:24:38 »
Cheers; the more saves, the more data.

Kilen

• View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: 2016-09-10 06:50:14 »
EJ here.  Excellent!  I've downloaded and installed 1.4 through 7th Heaven, I'll finally get around to this mod this weekend.  Also, if you have to choose between college or this mod, let us languish! 

Does anyone have recommendations for which music mod to install -- or to use the original OST?

Otsdarva

• View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: 2016-09-10 08:04:00 »
I've been having some problems finding stuff in the 1.4 endgame - particularly the HP Plus Materia, which I just straight up can't find despite scouring that path in the North Cave.

Moreover, lots of Ultimate Weapons require stuff from the Dark Cave Quest - is there an alternative source for the rewards from that?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: 2016-09-10 15:08:38 »
EJ here.  Excellent!  I've downloaded and installed 1.4 through 7th Heaven, I'll finally get around to this mod this weekend.  Also, if you have to choose between college or this mod, let us languish! 

Does anyone have recommendations for which music mod to install -- or to use the original OST?

I think DLPB's Reunion installer can change the music to several variants (mind to click everything else off though during install to avoid conflicts; the two mods can't work together right now) but I've never actually tried to use just the music patches from it with NT so mind to back up your .EXE and Data folder beforehand in case it does break.

I've been having some problems finding stuff in the 1.4 endgame - particularly the HP Plus Materia, which I just straight up can't find despite scouring that path in the North Cave.

Moreover, lots of Ultimate Weapons require stuff from the Dark Cave Quest - is there an alternative source for the rewards from that?

It should be here, where Mega-All used to be: http://squarehaven.com/games/PlayStation/Final-Fantasy-VII/guide/materia/12.jpg
It's the bit where you need to press Confirm just as you're jumping onto the middle platform as Cloud will hop past it.

There's no proper source for Dark Cave only materials at the moment, I'm afraid; the sidequest is close to completion but with everything going on and the tendency of bugs to pop up I can't say when it'll be done.

concatenate

• View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: 2016-09-11 00:59:11 »
First off thank you for all your work on this mod. Final Fantasy VII is a game I find myself replaying somewhat regularly since I picked it up at its PC release, and New Threat has brought me back to it yet again. I have only just left Kalm, but it is already apparent the new balance and revised mechanics are well implemented and carefully considered.

I do have a question though. Is there a list of weapon, and armor revisions? I really could swear I read through one while looking into this mod initially, but I can't seem to find it again (it is also very possible I was reading something for a different mod as I looked into a few difficulty mods at the time).

Also the link for the manual ( http://www.mediafire.com/download/dzbq6cqq2c27ard/FF7+NT+Manual.doc ) leads me to a page stating the provided key is invalid and that the file has likely been moved or deleted. Is there an alternate link for the manual?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: 2016-09-11 07:27:03 »
That manual link is quite out of date, probably for the very first build of the mod; there should be some documentation in the Main Installer folders though I don't think it goes into specific weapon/armour changes. I've been writing up a Mk.2 version of a document that lists all their locations; I could add stat info to them as well with comparisons to default equipment (where applicable).

Fauve

• View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: 2016-09-11 08:14:19 »
So I reached the end of Northern Crater and my party is rank 4 (Cloud is rank 5 I think). I beat Jenova, but the fight took at least 40 minutes which didn't seem right. Then I fought Bizzaro Sephiroth and lost pretty badly.

I felt that my party might be underdeveloped, so I went to go level/rank up. I went to the beginning of the Northern Crater to grind and noticed that some enemies only give 1 SP each, while the big dragon doesn't even give any SP at all. Is this normal? Or should I be grinding at a different spot for SP?

SunnyD

• View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: 2016-09-11 11:32:53 »
So I reached the end of Northern Crater and my party is rank 4 (Cloud is rank 5 I think). I beat Jenova, but the fight took at least 40 minutes which didn't seem right. Then I fought Bizzaro Sephiroth and lost pretty badly.

I felt that my party might be underdeveloped, so I went to go level/rank up. I went to the beginning of the Northern Crater to grind and noticed that some enemies only give 1 SP each, while the big dragon doesn't even give any SP at all. Is this normal? Or should I be grinding at a different spot for SP?

Mideel is a good place for SP farming since I believe you only get SP if you fight multiple opponents at once. Mideel's enemies come in groups so you'll usually get 3SP+ per battle. Only downside is that you get no EXP once you get past a certain level.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: 2016-09-11 14:19:49 »

I think some tightening to SP is needed; ideally I'd like for players to be hitting Rank 6 or 7 when they beat Hojo so that the last rank or two can be acquired from doing the optional stuff (similar to EXP/Level, I aim to have players above Lv.70 for Disc 3). But there's an oversight in SP right now where the level synch interferes with the check and allows SP to be gained from any group of enemies that contain 2 or or more actors over Lv.44.

What I'll do is aim to fix this check for all non-Crater enemies and then remove the check itself from all Crater enemies, ramping up the SP gained from them as well. I'll maybe keep Mideel as an alternate grind-spot as well if people are comfy there.

Mideel is a good place for SP farming since I believe you only get SP if you fight multiple opponents at once. Mideel's enemies come in groups so you'll usually get 3SP+ per battle. Only downside is that you get no EXP once you get past a certain level.

Sounds like the opposite of what it should be; the idea was to make Mideel enemies give no EXP if you're under a certain level because people were quickly gaining EXP from them by taking the Bronco to the shore. I'll check it out.

Dairuga

• View Profile
« Reply #4140 on: 2016-09-11 15:16:08 »
Okay, sorry if this is sounding wrong, but I have no idea where to go with this, so I figured I should try to post about it where I found the mod.
Long story short, I am on Disc 1. I am in the City of the Ancients, and am heading towards the mountain where you find Sephiroth. There are a specific set with enemies, a set of two hungries, which freezes the game for me. It is making progress hard, as it has happened thrice now , forcing me to go back to the City of the Ancients by quitting and reloading the game, and start the trek trough the frozen cave anew. I believe it is tied to one of the Hungry's actions, as it ends with no command happening, and no command being able to be input.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: 2016-09-11 19:40:14 »
I think that issue was fixed in the scene hotfix patch (available on page1 of this thread); try applying that and let me know if the issue still occurs/if you've already applied the patch and this is happening.

Fauve

• View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: 2016-09-11 21:43:23 »
Thanks I'll head over there to see if I make any progress. Not too worried about the lack of exp since my chars are in their 80s.

I think some tightening to SP is needed; ideally I'd like for players to be hitting Rank 6 or 7 when they beat Hojo so that the last rank or two can be acquired from doing the optional stuff (similar to EXP/Level, I aim to have players above Lv.70 for Disc 3). But there's an oversight in SP right now where the level synch interferes with the check and allows SP to be gained from any group of enemies that contain 2 or or more actors over Lv.44.

What I'll do is aim to fix this check for all non-Crater enemies and then remove the check itself from all Crater enemies, ramping up the SP gained from them as well. I'll maybe keep Mideel as an alternate grind-spot as well if people are comfy there.
By optional stuff you mean: the LV4 limit quests, the materia caves, the dark cave, the Weapon fights, and Kalm traveler right? These will all reward SP?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: 2016-09-11 22:36:26 »
By optional stuff you mean: the LV4 limit quests, the materia caves, the dark cave, the Weapon fights, and Kalm traveler right? These will all reward SP?

Yeah; Disc 3 stuff mostly.

GeoFlare

• View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: 2016-09-12 08:47:48 »
Alrighty, so what is the deal on Abyss down at the end of the crater? I cannot seem to kill him before he uses that god awful Neurotoxic Breath of his? Is there any particular way to stop this from happening or do I somehow need to kick up my damage before he does it? I have tried near 8 times now and he is beginning to irk me. Advice is welcome

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: 2016-09-12 09:36:31 »
Alrighty, so what is the deal on Abyss down at the end of the crater? I cannot seem to kill him before he uses that god awful Neurotoxic Breath of his? Is there any particular way to stop this from happening or do I somehow need to kick up my damage before he does it? I have tried near 8 times now and he is beginning to irk me. Advice is welcome

The way it was set up is that he charges up the breath attack but you can disrupt it by inflicting a status ailment on him; then he'll use an esuna-type move on himself and this'll remove all the stacks. It's not a great AI thing, and I'll probably change it to be more intuitive at some point, but that's the way it is at the moment.

GeoFlare

• View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: 2016-09-12 09:49:04 »
The way it was set up is that he charges up the breath attack but you can disrupt it by inflicting a status ailment on him; then he'll use an esuna-type move on himself and this'll remove all the stacks. It's not a great AI thing, and I'll probably change it to be more intuitive at some point, but that's the way it is at the moment.

Heh, the one thing I didn't think of. Kinda just assumed he would be immune to most status effects. At least I know I wasn't under damaging him.

GeoFlare

• View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: 2016-09-13 07:59:55 »
Not sure if this was a bug or just text that wasn't supposed to be there but after the Aerith mimic fight it told me I had received the planet Materia but I never got it in my inventory. I can always use Black Chocobo to give it to myself but I just thought I would bring it to your attention. 

Also thought I should mention it did give me the white Materia, and Great Gospel like it was supposed to do.
« Last Edit: 2016-09-13 08:08:12 by GeoFlare »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: 2016-09-13 11:40:39 »
See, I don't know if that's because I moved it from there last minute to Gold Match, or if it was intended to be moved from Gold Match to there. 1.45 will have a finalised placement for absolutely everything so it'll be fixed for that.

GeoFlare

• View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: 2016-09-13 12:10:18 »
See, I don't know if that's because I moved it from there last minute to Gold Match, or if it was intended to be moved from Gold Match to there. 1.45 will have a finalised placement for absolutely everything so it'll be fixed for that.

Ahh, either way, it's no big deal.
Now uhh, what exactly is Love Busters trick? He is the last thing I need to beat to finish off everyone's level 4 limit break (at least I think he is) and I kinda just got stalled here. Everything goes fine and yet all of a sudden I cannot damage him at all.