Author Topic: Before Crisis Remake  (Read 38041 times)

-Ric-

• View Profile
Re: Before Crisis Remake
« Reply #50 on: 2020-06-22 14:41:06 »
This looks awesome. I never played Before Crisis and I'm sure there's a lot more people here that haven't. Looking forward to giving it a go.  ;D

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2020-06-22 14:59:16 »
It's probably going to end up like a playable story when I'm through. There's only one gameplay video and that person goes to all the correct places and does all the correct things, so that's all I can copy.  I hope once it's done someone with more creativity will go in and add to it so it will feel like a more complete game.
Thanks for the encouragement

Devina

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2020-06-24 10:47:52 »
Any update on how the Avalanche soldiers look? I'm really curious to see how they'll look in motion in a video.

I think the script isn't that important now. I could try making suggestions and improving flow once we're done. I think we'll have to probably change some stuff during the Cissnei-Zack chapter. Their interactions in Before Crisis need to be a bit vague, since they sort of "meet for real" in Crisis Core. I have a bit of a funny idea where I can draw Cissnei with ski goggles and a beanie during this chapter (since it takes place in a snowy area), and Cissnei asks Zack why he's not wearing warmer clothing, and he says being used to cold weather is a part of his unofficial SOLDIER training.

Then near the end of the chapter, Zack says he'll hope to meet Cissnei again and asks for her name, but Cissnei says that he can call her just "Shuriken" for now (a bit of a meta joke) and maybe she will tell him her name if they meet again in the future. Then Zack says he'll hope to remember her, but says he might have trouble because he has trouble differentiating between Turks because they all wear similar clothing and he hasn't seen her face. Cissnei says maybe she'll show her face next time, and that it's just as hard to tell SOLDIERs apart because of their uniforms, but says she probably won't have trouble remembering him because of how spiky his hair is.

This would make sense for people who've played both games, fix some plot continuities, explains why Zack doesn't remember Cissnei in Crisis Core, and also explain why Cissnei is so friendly upon meeting him again in Crisis Core (because I think it would be cute if it's because she does remember him).

Apart from this little scenario addition, I don't think we should deviate too much from the original script or else the FF7 purists are going to come at us with pitchforks or else some fans may not like it, although I wouldn't mind a few continuity nods here and there (another idea is during the Costa del Sol chapter, Cissnei comments it's a pretty beach and she should bring a swimsuit and a friend next time).

Gameplay-wise, I wouldn't worry too much about that aspect yet. Once we're done the chapters, maybe you should open source the project and invite battle programmers in. One of the things that does intimidate me a little will be doing the on-field monsters. The human enemies are easy enough, but if we're faithful to the monsters, then it will mean I'll have to animate four directions for all the enemies, like Tonberry, Behemoth, Boms, etc. I noticed in the video that the enemies seem to walk, and when you get close, they charge at you like you have a million dollars in your pocket. It would be convenient if you could make it so that they have a pace sort of in-between (a light jog) so I don't have to make separate walking/running sheets.
« Last Edit: 2020-06-24 10:56:24 by Devina »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2020-06-24 12:09:00 »
Oh, I don't mean adding like a completely new storyline. I just mean a lot of the dialogue is hey, here's what's happening, do this.  There's not a lot of exposition or all that much character development. Like, you can't read the script and know exactly who's talking except maybe Reno.
When Cissnei meets Zack in chapter 8, it's actually an overlap with crisis core. Before crisis being from the Turk's perspective and crisis core being from Zack's perspective.  That's actually one of the main reasons why I wanted to use Cissnei instead of shotgun, because having someone else encounter him wouldn't be consistent with the story in crisis core.
As far as animations, no one has a walking animation that I can tell. Everyone is basically a running animation that just moves kind of slow. As far as enemy monsters, they seem kind of basic, it could be that's when we try to rip sprites from the video and clean them up.
As far as this being an open project, it definitely is. The only reason the Google drive is protected is honestly because of music. But now that I think about it I don't really see SE having a problem with some old phone game music that I ripped from a YouTube video.
I'm pretty much back to full-time at work now, so between that and kids I haven't had a ton of time. But I'll try to get a video up so you can see what they look like in motion
« Last Edit: 2020-06-24 12:10:44 by obesebear »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2020-06-24 14:12:38 »
I spent a little more time with the avalanche sprites than cissnei and noticed that the height of the sprites varies depending on which way they're facing.  Some are 199 px and some are 218px.
This is the new sprite sheet with all similar heights https://www.mediafire.com/file/4zqcpioxjsz2sc3/Avalanche.psd/file

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2020-06-24 18:18:17 »
Avalanche sprite in action
https://youtu.be/ONcfTj-soAE
Unfortunately I can't seem to get it to act right when it's assigned to an NPC.  It will use the appropriate sheet and cycle the frames, but it will only use 3 frames instead of 4.  Not sure if it's an issue with the plugin or what.  I'm going to contact the author and see if it's something I'm doing wrong.  I can't figure out the problem for the life of me.

Devina

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2020-06-29 18:05:47 »
Any luck with the qsprite frames?

I was just thinking, if we can't figure out how to do 4 animations in NPC sprites and we're limited to 3, it might be best to do 2 animations for now so that the animation is even. I can continue to make 4 frame spritesheets just in case we find a fix for the future.

Have you looked into NPCs being able to follow you? It might be a bit awkward if Cissnei runs with 4 animations while an NPC follows with 2, but it shouldn't be too bad. I know in some chapters, Aerith and Barret follow you.

2 frames would be a downgrade, sure, but I think we could pull it off without it looking too bad.

Do you know anything about custom unique frames too? I was thinking of making some unconscious sprites for Avalanche. Not sure how that would be organized in a spritesheet, but I could always give you a 1 sprite image.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2020-06-29 19:58:56 »
They all would need to be on the same sprite sheet, but once they're programmed in the first time it's very easy to add or change animations
Haven't had a ton of time to look into why the frames aren't working right. I made a post in his thread but haven't heard back. Might end up having to DM him, it read through 50 pages...

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2020-07-09 01:03:01 »
Click here for access to all the Before Crisis assets
This is everything I have so far (should be fully uploaded 2 hours from this post).  If you have RPGMaker MV, you should even be able to open the project and edit it if you wanted.
I hope to be able to start back up on chapter 2 in the next few days.

What I need to try next is to change the NPC movement to use the qmove script that accompanies qsprite editor.  This may allow more frames of movement instead of being restricted to 3.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2020-07-12 19:04:09 »
The good news is I messed up the avalanche sprite sheet somehow.  By repositioning the starting frame, it somehow works.  Hope to get it figured out tonight

QUICK EDIT:
Got it working  :)
« Last Edit: 2020-07-12 19:11:26 by obesebear »

Devina

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2020-07-13 09:19:21 »
Cool, do you need to give me a new sprite sheet with new gridlines to work from as a base, or should I just use the last one you gave me?

Either way, a new spritesheet with more room will have to be made anyway once I start doing the custom frames like "preparing to attack", "unconscious on floor", etc.

I'm glad you got it sorted out, I haven't done anything lately because I've been waiting for this and I've been busy upscaling Crisis Core in the other topic. I did get started on a look for Shears tho:

Also, congrats on the 1337 posts. :P

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2020-07-13 13:03:09 »
The new sheet size is 1030x840.  I gave each sprite 210 pixels in height, it made it a little easier.  I do need to adjust it though, right now some of the adjacent sprites leak into the frame.  Gotta head to work though, so I'll try to fix it tonight and get it uploaded.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2020-08-18 00:46:29 »

The wife is going back to work and the kids will be going to school / daycare starting in September.

Since I don't have much choice but to be at home with no distractions, I'll be able to pick back up working on this.  I'm probably a bit rusty, but I've got a whole chapter I can reference to refresh my memory.  Tsunamods has also announced a new casting for their voice-over project, and it's my hope that they'll tackle Before Crisis and maybe even rework the script.

Stay tuned!

Devina

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2020-08-19 17:20:43 »
That's awesome, send over the updated spritesheet gridlines when you can.
Now that most of my work on the Crisis Core HD project is done, I can put more time into spriting too.

Kuraudo.

• SOLDIER
  • Maktub
    • View Profile
    • Behemoth Productions
« Reply #64 on: 2020-09-04 08:40:18 »
My body is ready, gimme more

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2020-09-05 17:33:09 »
Work should start back up Tuesday :)

PoolHandMan

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2020-09-18 03:36:33 »
thank you so much for working with this, I've always wanted to play this game. It was a stupid decision to release it only for a specific cellphone only in Japan  :roll:

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2020-09-19 00:38:33 »
thank you so much for working with this, I've always wanted to play this game. It was a stupid decision to release it only for a specific cellphone only in Japan  :roll:
I completely agree. 

I have to handle some work/personal stuff this Monday, but come Wednesday I should be able to dedicate some time to this again.

Gadesx

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2020-11-11 11:54:10 »
Hi, looks good that map of the first post,
I' making the betatesting of FFBCR (rpgm2003)
of the Spanish translation and because
I have around 20 years of experience with Rpg maker, I see this project like a madness.
Without auto-start events as example.

I try to make enhancements using rips,
https://ibb.co/jrNsmJq
 because the other way atleast for me is re-do every map using Cinema 4D, or 2D Pixelart.
With Easyrpg Player the game can be actually played in many systems.

I have to make little changes of the original game (2k3), atleast because is a translation mainly.

The characters assets of this game are blurry, about portraits, I can use big images making a new message system.

Your project looks like a true remake

Devina

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2020-11-16 04:47:14 »
Those background pics are nice. :)

I'm just waiting for obesebear to push the project forward. I'm always at the ready for creating sprites. I've just been busy polishing the Crisis Core HD project for the past few months, but I'm pretty much done now with most of my work on that now.

I'd also be up for getting on Discord to make this Before Crisis remake project go faster.
At first, I was hesitant on Discord because I thought it wasn't needed, but I've now seen how much faster things go with people in tandem.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2020-11-17 00:25:33 »
I have around 20 years of experience with Rpg maker, I see this project like a madness.

because the other way atleast for me is re-do every map using Cinema 4D, or 2D Pixelart.

I have to make little changes of the original game (2k3), atleast because is a translation mainly.

The characters assets of this game are blurry, about portraits, I can use big images making a new message system.

One of the things that would be incredibly helpful is for someone to go through and manually rip the backgrounds as I have done.    If you check my google drive link in the first post, I managed to rip the highest quality videos available (from nicovideo) and slowly take screenshots with MPC-HC and patch together the scene.  I would more than welcome the help of someone else doing that.

Those background pics are nice. :)

I'm just waiting for obesebear to push the project forward. I'm always at the ready for creating sprites. I've just been busy polishing the Crisis Core HD project for the past few months, but I'm pretty much done now with most of my work on that now.

I'd also be up for getting on Discord to make this Before Crisis remake project go faster.
At first, I was hesitant on Discord because I thought it wasn't needed, but I've now seen how much faster things go with people in tandem.
A few months back I had some family issues that took a while to resolve.  Then had an HR battle at work over whether my coworker should be fired or if I should quit.  Then began working more often in hopes of getting his job (and also being short staffed), and then today was actually my first day back to work because my family and I finally caught the coronavirus.
Unfortunately, still short staffed at work, but everything else has slowed down.  There's even another person interested in helping with sprites named HikarooChan.  As for the discord, it's here https://discord.gg/C4arJpB
Kuraudo has been on it from time to time finding artwork and other obscure facts to help with lore.  I've also reached out to Tsunamix and his voice over director about making adjustments to the dialogue so the story is better, and ultimately implementing voice acting.

ALL THAT SAID, I should be able to start tinkering a little bit in the coming weeks before thanksgiving.  It really just depends if I have any days off to commit to it.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2021-01-02 18:14:34 »
I realize this thread has become posts of me just saying that any day I'll be able to resume work on this.   Now I can say I will actually have some time.  My work schedule has finally been figured out so that I'll be off every Tuesday and Wednesday.  Family and workplace drama has been completely resolved, so I should have an abundance of free time going forward.

I'm excited to finally get back to work on this!
I'm not sure where to begin, it's been quite a while since I opened RPG Maker, but I'm sure it'll be just like riding a bike.

Kuraudo.

• SOLDIER
  • Maktub
    • View Profile
    • Behemoth Productions
« Reply #72 on: 2021-01-25 07:48:21 »

Hi, join us on discord https://discord.gg/C4arJpB

Devina

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2021-01-25 11:42:42 »

Hey everyone, some updates.

For one, we are igniting the development of the project on the Discord.
Everyone interested in the project please join us there.

The development of the game is now open-source.
Everyone is welcome and those with RPG Maker MV skills are extremely vital.
The more people who collaborate with us, the faster we can get this game out.
For example, someone joining us could mean the difference between a release date of 2022 instead of 2024.

The current status of the game is be hosted here, at:

https://github.com/DevinaGithub/Before-Crisis-Remake

RPG Maker MV is currently required to access the playable version.

Finally, we plan to release a Chapter 1 demo sometime soonish in the future.
Can't give an exact release date just yet.

Finally, a sneak preview of the game's menu:

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #74 on: 2021-01-25 22:28:00 »
Beautiful!