Author Topic: Still can't get movies to play for FF7  (Read 2781 times)

BlackInfinity

• View Profile
Still can't get movies to play for FF7
« on: 2007-09-29 23:49:57 »
Originally I could watch in-game movies by configuring Final Fantasy VII to 640x480 (Quarter Screen) resolution. I got sick of staring at that small screen so I upgraded to 640x480 (Full Screen) and thats where all the problems began. (The movies stopped working).

I looked at the wiki and downloaded the TrueMotion codec, installed it and ran FF7, the opening movie did not play. I looked at the Sticky here in the Tech Support forum and found information on copying the movies to the hard drive for better playback. I went ahead and copied all the movies into my Final Fantasy VII folder from the disks and edited the movie path in the registry. I knew this would not fix the problem so I followed the link in the sticky to Agent009's guide. After reading those instructions I downloaded the K-Lite Codec pack, disabled true motion decoding (among other things his guide said to disable), I restarted FF7 and the opening movie still did not play.

By now I'm pretty pissed, so I open FF7 Configuration, change the settings to the way they were before (640x480 Quarter Screen) and the opening movie still doesn't play. I went back into the the registry and modified the "Movie Path" back to the default (to read from the FF7 CD) I ran FF7 and the movie STILL doesn't play! I've come to the conclusion that I made a mistake in the steps I outlined in the previous paragraph, because what was working before is not working now. I spent an hour searching these forums (used the search feature) to try to find someone with a similar problem to mine (or better yet a solution) and I have found nothing.

And no I don't have any of those fancy nVidia cards that everyone else has. ::Jealous:: All I've got is this crappy Intel 945G Chipset with dynamically allocated VRAM (128 MB max) if that matters. Btw I'm running FF7 on Windows XP SP 2.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this? Even If I can't get videos to play at full screen, I would at LEAST like to get them to play at quarter screen like they were before.

Please Help!

EDIT: I uninstalled the K-Lite Codec Pack, I Uninstalled Final Fantasy VII (deleting the registry items), I reinstalled it and now for some mysterious reason, the movies play at Full Screen (640x480) now. I would like to put the movies on my hard disk and tweak the movies too look better, but I'm afraid to do that  and mess my FF7 up again. I'd rather look at crap quality FF7 cutscenes than no cutscenes at all. If anyone has insight to what I did wrong above or insight on how to make the movies look better please let me know.
« Last Edit: 2007-09-30 01:00:40 by BlackInfinity »

Midgar

• View Profile
Re: Still can't get movies to play for FF7
« Reply #1 on: 2007-09-30 06:27:52 »
Try to save your save files and reinstall the game completely.