Author Topic: FF8 Launcher - Custom resolutions and 8-bit paletted textures fix (patch)  (Read 148675 times)

gotenksssj22002

• View Profile
ok guys can anyone tell me how to get the launcher to use my AA nvidia settings cuz i'm having no luck at all

rite i asked once now its annoying me i can not get the launcher to use my nvida settings at all its annoying me so i ask once again will someone plz tell me how to do it i have a 2.8 dual core with 1 gig ram and a 8400gs 512meg nvidia card with vista ultimate on my comp so will u plz tell me i've read through the whole post and repiles and nothing has helped me get to be able to use my nvidia settings although the no black blocks is a + but i get lines across me screen when i use a screen bigger then 800x600

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
I absolutely love this program.

Is there any way the same thing could be done for FF7? I'd like to be able to choose my resolution with that too, instead of being stuck with just the two from the high res patch.
I don't think it can be done if it is a game engine issue.
It's on my todo-list as I'm a big fan of FF7 (much more so than FF8 to be entirely honest).

Wow really? Thats great news!

EDIT: This is a random thing to be adding into this post, but I don't want to double-post, so here goes!

Just wanted to say again, thanks for this tool. It took me a while to get it working this time round (for some reason I kept getting the "Please insert disc one" rubbish that seems to be happening an awful lot with Vista... I know what I'm doing when it comes to installing the FF games, even on Vista... but for some reason this time around it gave me more problems than usual.) It's nothing to do with FF8 Launcher though, it works a treat.

And the expert mode is an absolute godsend. My game looks awesome now. Roll on FF7! WOO!
« Last Edit: 2009-04-06 03:50:31 by Prince Lex »

Silent Warrior

• View Profile
Uh... Is it just me, or doesn't this have some unexpected side-effects? (Or maybe the main executable farted?) When I looked in at the Junk shop in Balamb, right in the beginning, I could get maybe half of Squall's different gunblades, Quistis' and Selphie's strongest weapons, at least one glove for Zell... (Well, I say 'get' - components notwithstanding, dig?) That's not having read any weapon-magazine at all at that point - I don't remember that from my previous play-through. Not that I complain, I suppose... :evil:

magixts

• View Profile
I don't think the launcher could have such an effect on the game. It only makes alterations to the DirectX calls.

On the topic of FF7; Aali seem to have found a better way to modify the graphics driver so I'm holding off on doing any work.
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8306.0

gotenksssj22002

• View Profile
i had the same thing happen to me when i first played the game never happened since but i was told it was a glitch in the first version of the game

roy

Why It Looks Like This? lol
 :-o :-o

[/b]

Hi I'm having the exact same problem.I don't have Nvidia or geforce, I've got an INtel Grpahics Media Acclerator X3100.
I've tried the Launcher,Tired the 3D Direct Hardware option, the Software Rendering option and nothing seems to work.
The resolution I need to run it at is 1280 x 800.Can anyone help? I've been at this all day

The EIDOS Screen comes up full screen but the squaresoft and the game itself is stuck in the corner.The 8bit and 4:3 mapping have been ticked.Can anyone help?

Prince Lex

• View Profile
Are you sure you've changed FF8Config to run in Fullscreen 640x480?

roy

I reinstalled FF8 and when I opened it up it was running fullscreen on it's own. I'm using a Hp Pavillion dv2000 laptop.Try reinstalling,it might work.

asd4free

Hellou

First of all, thanx a lot for this great fix.
My only problem is, the patch seems to be transparenting the black color, not just the border.
Like, the blind effect shown on an effected character's head during battle, or the shadow of Squall character on world map etc.
Maybe it has already been fixed, but yet unknown to me. An help will be greatly appreciated.

Klaw117

EDIT: Never mind. Reinstalling the game, patch, and launcher worked. Great job making this launcher!
« Last Edit: 2009-04-28 20:44:48 by Klaw117 »

Klaw117

• View Profile
I just tried playing it again...the launcher didn't work, even with the non-nvidia patch. If no one has anymore suggestions, I'm uninstalling this for good. It's more trouble than it's worth right now.

By the way, is it possible to put compress the launcher into a .zip file instead of a .rar file? I don't want to spend the money to buy WinRAR.

EDIT: Wow, very weird. I tried reinstalling again for the heck of it and it's working. It seems to be temperamental with me...either way, it's working. The tool is great when it's not temperamental with you.
« Last Edit: 2009-05-05 01:19:13 by Klaw117 »

nabuceht

like a lot of people out there......

THANK YOU !!!!!!

I have waited years for this.  I just got my FF8 back from my mom.  Only to install it and look at the piddly 640x480 resolution.  Thus I started my search AGAIN for resolution fixes.  This time I actually found one!!!

THANK YOU !!!!!!

System:
Windows XP SP2
AMD Athlon XP 3200 2.2 ghz
ATI Radeon 9600
SOYO Dragon 2 MOBO w/Via Chipset

microAlexx

Hi

Thanks for this great launcher !

Tested on :
1. @ Office
- Windows XP Pro SP3
- Intel Core 2 Duo E6850
- NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700
-> Works fine.

2. @ Home
- Windows XP Pro SP3
- Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
- NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
-> Works fine.

Question :
Is it possible to add a windowed/fullscreen option on the launcher ?
or there is a way to run FF8 windowed but with a specific resolution ?

thx.

gotenksssj22002

• View Profile
I'm sorry to ask once again but i can't seem to get the FSAA to work at all i've added it to my nvidia control panel and told it to use globle settings but i still can't get it to alow me to use the drop down arrow for the settings although its a great patch i'm running it on an nvidia 8400 gs 512meg

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
I just tried playing it again...the launcher didn't work, even with the non-nvidia patch. If no one has anymore suggestions, I'm uninstalling this for good. It's more trouble than it's worth right now.

By the way, is it possible to put compress the launcher into a .zip file instead of a .rar file? I don't want to spend the money to buy WinRAR.

EDIT: Wow, very weird. I tried reinstalling again for the heck of it and it's working. It seems to be temperamental with me...either way, it's working. The tool is great when it's not temperamental with you.

Winrar is shareware and will work without any money.

Terid__K

Why not just use 7-Zip, which is completely free (and small)?

CygnusRekcah

• View Profile
can someone help me, I am running windows vista 64 bit and the game runs fine I DL the patch and the new dll and the launcher but whenever I set a resolution it doesn't show it at that res., for example: I select run at 1400x900 and it looks like original res 640x480 and the same happens with all other resolutions, anyone have a solution for this?

Prince Lex

• View Profile
Use Aali's custom driver instead.

CygnusRekcah

• View Profile
Aali's custom driver? where can i DL that?

Prince Lex

• View Profile
Use the search function. It's on this forum.

CygnusRekcah

• View Profile
ok thanks for the suggestion but i tried Aali's driver and still not working for me, I dont understand why the launcher wont change ff 8 res to 1440x900, the resolution stays the same 640x480

Prince Lex

• View Profile
Don't use the launcher, just use the custom driver. Change the resolution yourself in the ff8_opengl config file.

Phun

ok thanks for the suggestion but i tried Aali's driver and still not working for me, I dont understand why the launcher wont change ff 8 res to 1440x900, the resolution stays the same 640x480

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8306.0

Admiral Crunch

k guys, i need some major help here. I've got one day before i have to get cracking on my summer english homework. anyway, heres my problem:

When i first DL'd the ff8 launcher i got ERROR CODE: 2. no problem, just move the .exe. fixed.
Then i got 740. again, no problem, just run as admin.
But now, oh hohoho. I am super pissed. The error i get reads as follows:

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005) Click OK to terminate the application.

I've tried a few hings, but i can't get rid of this thing.

Specs:
Vista 32-bit home basic SP2
GEforce 7050/ NVIDIA nforce 610i
Driver: 178.13
1026 mb (x2) ram
DirectX 10.0

I can run the game just fine in software, but it looks soooo ugly, and i want to see Quezacotl without being able to see squares in the sky at the beginning of the Gf summon animation, and without all of the characters looking like an N64 version of Thom Yorke. :P
please help however you can, I will greatly appreciate it.

FORGET IT I GOT IT WORKING :D
The problem was that for some reason i had left ff8.exe set to run as admin and in cmpat for XP SP2. Lmao, yeah, I'm pretty dumb.

And might i add that it looks absolutely stunning. words cannot begin to thank you enough. marry me.  :-D
I'll be sure to ask for help again if i experience any further bugs.
« Last Edit: 2009-08-30 23:29:04 by Admiral Crunch »

billy66bare

The drivers didn't really work for me, but your loader did!  Thanks Magixts!!

And thank you for your service!