Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII turned into Doom (editing battle camera)  (Read 14121 times)

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
I'm working on my own difficulty mod (which also changes a lot of things, but it's a little too early to talk about IMO), and I decided to rework some battles' camera angles, thanks to Proud Clod.

So, I made this one. 2 MPs appeared !!

I always loved over the shoulder cameras, especially in RPGs. Makes you right into the action ! ...Sadly, with three characters in the team, close-ups will be difficult to implement. I will try to be creative, and post my findings here (if I do find some...).

Anyways, if you like this camera angle and want it in your game, type this in PrC's formation editor (select the formation you're looking for, and it's the first line under "camera positions") :

00A0  FD50  0AA0 0000 FDA0 0000

Obviously though, if you want all battle formations, in all scenes, to have this camera angle, then you'll have to type this approx. 1,000 times :P But I wouldn't do that - with more than one character, chances are it would look ugly.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Interesting work. Does this just change the default camera for the scene from a list of preconfigured cameras? Or did you somehow make your own?

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
He's setting the idle camera position/focus. I don't know how the camera is restricted to that position though. Plenty of things were performed that should change the camera's position.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
He's setting the idle camera position/focus. I don't know how the camera is restricted to that position though. Plenty of things were performed that should change the camera's position.
FFVII lets you set active or stationary camera in the settings. He probably turned on stationary, and reset that camera position.

Armorvil

• View Profile
Yeah, I set the camera as fixed in the menu.
Here is another one.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
FFVII lets you set active or stationary camera in the settings. He probably turned on stationary, and reset that camera position.

Oh yeah, I forgot :P

Armorvil

• View Profile
A view from the ground, just behind a lone enemy. I think I'm getting the jist of adjusting battle camera.

sicatrix

• View Profile
Would it be possible to have different camera shots for different battles, randomized of course?

Example:

Random encounter : over the shoulder

Next encounter: worm's eye

Another encounter :P : over the shoulder/worm's eye/ etc.

Armorvil

• View Profile
This is already the case, in a sense. In each area, there are up to 4 enemy formations, and each of those have their own camera position. But if you mean adding different camera angles to the same formation, I'm afraid that's not possible. Or easily possible, because you can always do whatever you want with enough knowledge and time.

I uploaded a new video. Here is what replaces the Guard Scorpion in my mod. I like this camera angle, but it is only possible thanks to Aali's extended battle screen and transparent menu. On a PSX (or another configuration), I'm afraid you wouldn't be able to see the party. I'll try to reduce the camera's Y coordinate so the characters are above the battle interface.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-09 17:49:18 by Armorvil »

sicatrix

• View Profile
But if you mean adding different camera angles to the same formation, I'm afraid that's not possible. Or easily possible, because you can always do whatever you want with enough knowledge and time.

Yep this is what I meant and I hope it's "not easily possible" as opposed to "not possible". :)

EDIT:
Wow, with that angle it'll make huge enemies look all the more menacing.

EDIT:
Oh, and is the brainpods, smogger, and iron giant battles from the hardcore patch or FF7 remix extras?
« Last Edit: 2010-07-09 18:08:40 by sicatrix »

Armorvil

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII turned into Doom (editing battle camera)
« Reply #10 on: 2010-07-09 18:29:38 »
EDIT:

That's the goal  ;D

Oh, and is the brainpods, smogger, and iron giant battles from the hardcore patch or FF7 remix extras?

From neither. They are from a mod I'm currently working on. And don't expect a release date anytime soon, since I've just started on modifying battles (up until then, I was perfecting my kernel and such).

I arranged the camera view, for this boss battle.

Now even those without Aali's new battle interface or his fancy transparency should see something. Funny that it looks as if Cloud and Barret are standing on a higher ledge.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-09 18:32:58 by Armorvil »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #11 on: 2010-07-09 18:50:01 »
This is already the case, in a sense. In each area, there are up to 4 enemy formations, and each of those have their own camera position. But if you mean adding different camera angles to the same formation, I'm afraid that's not possible. Or easily possible, because you can always do whatever you want with enough knowledge and time.

You can set the idle camera position to one of the camera positions in the formation data through battle AI. You could have one of the enemies (or all) randomly select one in their pre-battle. That'll give you semi control over where the camera will be.

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-07-09 22:07:46 »
EDIT:

That's the goal  :-D

From neither. They are from a mod I'm currently working on. And don't expect a release date anytime soon, since I've just started on modifying battles (up until then, I was perfecting my kernel and such).

I arranged the camera view, for this boss battle.

Do not quote images unless absolutely necessary or with good reason.  You've been warned.

Now even those without Aali's new battle interface or his fancy transparency should see something. Funny that it looks as if Cloud and Barret are standing on a higher ledge.
That looks really great. In order to do that to all the fights you'll have to edit many things right?? Well at least the boss fights can be done like that. Do you know how to set the camera like the final one on one fight with sephiroth? I think it will look good for the fight with rufus. :?:
« Last Edit: 2010-07-10 01:56:27 by obesebear »

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-07-10 17:41:16 »
For the same camera position as the Cloud versus Sephiroth battle, you can set it with these coordinates :

cam X : 0988
cam Y : FEB8
cam Z : 0F9A
focus X : 0000
focus Y : FF20
focus Z : 02C0

And yes : editing the camera position takes time, but it's fun :)

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010-07-10 18:00:57 »
Oddly, my only idea with this is to use it in battle arena to seat the camera as if watching from the audiance.

I wish there was camera switching for things like the Air buster battle. Do this doom/Gears of War thing but have it switch to behind each team. Also in battles without teams it would provide the opponents point of view.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010-07-11 19:19:14 »
Yeah, I set the camera as fixed in the menu.
Here is another one.

This one is interesting.
Would be better a bit farther from the party and a bit lifted but always focusing on the enemy center.

I think some boss battles have such camera.

Edit:
Such as this one (i guess):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7mpeCNpqLE

Although it's not perfectly simitrical.

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010-07-12 14:02:10 »
A new youtube video of another random battle. I was lucky that a Rage Bomber missed Cloud, since Tifa can neither use Esuna, nor items.

EDIT:

And another one.

EDIT2:

And last one, for now.

Enemies in the distance, attacking from afar :D A must-see, I think.
And I never knew Ice looked that good, when seen from this far (when it hits Mono Drive, which is farther than the Diablos).

EDIT3:

Actually, here is what it looks like with a non-fixed camera. Not too bad. You can imagine that Tifa hits the pipe on which the Diablo sits, when she performs her Limit - thus damaging it. The problem is, she's walking on nothingness... ...There wouldn't have been such a problem if I hadn't made all the characters' basic attacks Shoot-elemental - but hey, from a gameplay standpoint, I prefer it this way.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-12 21:47:40 by Armorvil »

Cazador

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010-07-12 22:11:37 »
this is really nice stuff. The behind the shoulder view gave the battle a whole new feel.

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010-07-14 15:19:51 »
Yeah, I like it too :)

Here is a new video ; the battles as Aerith (Aeris ?) in the church. I didn't want to use the over-the-shoulder camera too much, but maybe I should have...

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: 2010-07-14 18:12:02 »
Nice project, but I can't really imagine playing through the entire game that way. You'd have to rely on the help bar to target a lot of enemies, which would really impact screen estate.

Cool idea, though.

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010-07-14 19:49:04 »
Thanks. There are many formations and camera positions I won't change, though. Altering all four formations of every scene file would take far too long, and is far from necessary.

EDIT:

Not related to camera angles, but I also recorded a little shopping session. Maybe it's time I created a thread about my mod, in game tweaking - I dunno.

EDIT2:

The battle against Aps. I put the camera behind this time. On a side note, I wonder why you sometimes get a Preemptive strike in this battle. Especially since in the formation editor, the two possible formations involving Aps Dragon are set on 'normal battle'. Odd.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-17 00:02:03 by Armorvil »