Author Topic: Criticize the party's stats in my mod  (Read 5690 times)

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
Criticize the party's stats in my mod
« on: 2010-07-13 10:17:44 »
Hi there ! I'm working on a mod, and I decided to ask for your opinion about the characters' HP/MP/Strength/Vitality/Magic/Spirit/Dexterity/Luck at level 99.

Here is what I came up with :

Name of char: HP at level 99 / MP at level 99

CLOUD:      8600 / 700
BARRET:     9999 / 216
TIFA:         6966 / 520
AERITH:     3844 / 999
REDXIII:    7654 / 432
YUFFIE:      4610 / 870
CAIT SITH: 6790 / 700
VINCENT:   5470 / 747
CID :          9200 / 324

Name of char: Strength / Vitality / Magic / Spirit / Dexterity / Luck

* NOTE: those are the base, as well as the level 99 stats. In my mod, leveling up doesn't increase them. To improve them, you have to use the sources you steal from the enemies*
                 STR   VIT   MAG  SPR  DX  LCK
CLOUD :     150 / 150 / 150 / 150 / 25 / 16
BARRET:     200 / 200 /   0 /    0 / 25 / 15
TIFA:         150 /   50 /  50 / 150/ 25 / 16
AERITH:       0 /     0 / 200 / 200/ 25 / 16
REDXIII:    100 /  50 / 150 /  50 / 50 / 17
YUFFIE:       50 /    0 / 150 / 100/ 50 / 17
CID:          200 / 150 /  50 /    0 / 25 / 15
CAIT SITH:   50 / 100 / 100 /200/  25 / 16
VINCENT:   100/    50 / 150 / 150/ 25 / 16

And here are the equipment / passive abilities that are character-specific :

CLOUD:  Deals Lightning damage, absorbs Lightning, repels Death & Death Sentence, and nullify damage from Firearms.

BARRET: Deals Earth damage, absorbs Earth, repels Petrify & Gradual Petrify, and nullify damage from Impacts (punches, kicks, blunt weapons, etc).

TIFA: Deals Holy damage, absorbs Holy, repels Sleep & Slow and  nullify damage from Lasers.

AERITH: Halves Magical and Physical elements, auto Barrier/MBarrier.

RED XIII: Deals Fire damage, absorbs Fire, repels Berserk & Frog, auto Haste

YUFFIE: Deals Water damage, absorbs Water, repels Stop & Paralysis, auto Haste

CAIT SITH: Deals Ice damage, absorbs Ice, repels Silence & Mini, auto Reflect

*NOTE: Healing spells can't be reflected anymore, so there is no drawback to Auto-Reflect*

VINCENT: Deals Dark damage, absorbs Dark, repels Poison & Dual, auto Reflect

*NOTE : I separated the Poison element from the Poison status with this new Dark element. That way, if you block the Poison status, you can still take damage from Bio spells. This also works if you absorb Dark : Bio would heal you, but you can still be poisoned*

Correction : Actually no, if someone nullifies or absorbs the element of an attack, and if this attack is supposed to give a status ailment, that status will never be triggered. Bummer.

CID: Deals Wind damage, absorbs Wind, repels Confusion & Blindness, nullify Slashes (attacks from swords, spears, fangs, claws, ...).

Obviously, I did this to further differentiate each character. So, if for example, you can't beat a boss that uses powerful water attacks and likes to use Stop, you might want to use Yuffie. Same with a sword that would rip you a new one : Cid would be your best bet. Oh, and enemies nullifying or absorbing a certain element should be rare. I don't want the player to feel screwed if, say, he ends up fighting a Bomb with Red XIII.

I'm designing the game in a way, that if you play battles with the 'wrong' team, 'wrong' equipment and 'wrong' materia combinations, it will be harder but never impossible. That way, you can still play through the game with your favorite team. I don't want the player to experience many game-overs, I want him to have fun.

Your thoughts ?

EDIT:

I forgot to add the characters' evasion and magic evasion :

Cloud: evade = 15 / m.evade =  5
Barret: evade =  0 / m.evade =  0
Tifa:    evade = 25 / m.evade = 15
Aerith: evade = 35 / m.evade = 35
Red:    evade = 30 / m.evade = 10
Yuffie: evade = 45 / m.evade = 20
Cait:    evade = 15 / m.evade = 18
Vince:  evade = 20 / m.evade = 25
Cid:     evade =   7 / m.evade =   2

EDIT2:

Updated Cloud's MP, Magic and Spirit, as well as Barret and Cid's MP.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-14 22:53:05 by Armorvil »

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
Re: Criticize the party's stats in my mod
« Reply #1 on: 2010-07-14 14:30:50 »
Cloud is more of a jack-of-all-trades than a physical attacker in my book.  I think his magic-related stats should come up a bit.

I also think that Cait Sith should have less magic-casting stats and higher physical defense stats.  He's artificial, so it makes sense that he should act as a "wall" to enemy attacks.

Anyway, this is all subjective stuff, and I'm biased, so yeah...

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-07-14 15:42:15 »
Thank you for posting your thoughts, Seer of Shadows :)

Yeah, maybe I should increase Cloud's Magic and MP. And after all, it's the character the player is stuck with the whole game, so better to make him a well-rounded fighter.
By how much do you think I should raise his stats ? Are ~600 MP at level 99 and a magic stat of ~150 good enough, you think ?

As for Cait Sith I decided to give him a lot of Spirit and little Vitality, but as you say, maybe the other way around would work better. His Vitality is 100 right now, it's not too bad either. A Vitality of 200 and a Spirit of 100 ? He would become some kind of a tanking mage. Or should I also give him higher strength ? I guess the question is, do you see Cait Sith more like a mage, or a physical attacker ?

I just looked at Terence Fergusson's party mechanics FAQ, and in the original, he is definitely a mage. His Magic and Spirit stats are top-tier, while his Vitality stat is the worst (or 2nd worst).

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 2010-07-14 18:10:31 »
Yeah, it's easy to forget Cloud's high mag stat. He's really a pure offensive character.

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-07-14 19:17:54 »
Yeah... ...I don't like to increase one stat without reducing another for balance, but hey, it's Cloud so I can make an exception.

EDIT:

Do you think I should also increase Cloud's spirit ? Because now he has 150 in Strength, Vitality and Magic, but only 50 in Spirit. It would look prettier if I gave him 150 in Spirit, too... ...even though it would make him even more of a beast.

EDIT2:

Actually, I gave him 150 in spirit too, as well as around 700 MP at level 99. He's a friggin' SOLDIER, for crying out loud.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-14 20:49:00 by Armorvil »

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-07-15 02:15:15 »
You could argue that he gets mentally manipulated very easily.  By a man that died five years ago, no less.  By that logic, his spirit is simply pathetic :P

Anyway, I don't know all that much about how stats are supposed to look like at level 99 in the unmodded game...

If there's anything else I have to criticize, it's Yuffie and Vincent.  They're your long range attackers, but you give them high magic and low strength, which kind of defeats the point.  Overall, your team also seems more magic-oriented than attack-oriented, but maybe that's your playing style.  And hey, it's your mod :)

Miseru

• "Help! One of my main characters is black!" - xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-07-17 08:07:35 »
Well I already wrote how I see it story based, so now how I see it through battle system/balance.

Generally 99lvl will be hard to reach if you don't edit enemies/rewards. Most normal games ends at 5x-6x lvl  so taking it's stright line at your hp/mp rise we can take off at least about 35-45% out of max. So if you don't edit enemies, party in your mod will pretty much be wiped by some bosses forcing to choose a party which have highest of those stats.

Other stats doesn't rise by lvling, but they're pretty much "high end"(of normal game) from the very beginning this means killing most mobs on 1 hit on most of the game and very hard with some of the characters at the end(depending how easy you can get those sources).

Most likely end game party that would work somehow = Barret, Cloud, Cid. Those 3 have highest hp(still a little if you will not spend hours on killing countless monsters to lvlup to 99lvl). Magic isn't generally too effective anyway, even in dangerous situations hp and formation is more important than spirit(Barret have 0 spirit, but will be nice on 2 row anyway).

Forgot how battle damage is calculated exactly, but I think Aerith with 0 str will be completely useless at attacking, meaning she can die from a normal soldier or at least made the battle stupidly long if you fail at killing soldier with barrel in the mini game at the church. - She doesn't have any materia then, and deal very little dmg even in normal game with stats surely much higher than 0 already. Multiplying by 0 = 0 and I think like half of the standard battle damage is multiplied by stat(I can be wrong, but something close to that).

Maybe those 3 I stated as best have lowest evasion, but what's more important, they will not be affraid to be hit with their greater hp and def + immune to physical attacks which is sick even if 1 have just 1 immune and any hit on them will just add to their overpowered limit breakes. With such high stats, most likely it'll be more effective to use lower lvl limit breakes with them as they'll be able to deal 9999dmg sooner and with lower lvl limit breakes - will get them more often.

Also some other important stuff: DEX and LUCK - with such low both of them, evasion, criticals, even normal hits(misses rather=]) will be pretty much useless, also they'll be AWFULLY SLOOOOW at later parts of the game. I would highly advise to make those stats rising normally as they aren't soo visible as pure stats, yet deadly important. I can't imagine fastest character to be able to deal 1 hit while some weak end game monster hit 5 times whole party killing the weaker ones, while the stronger ones that can survive, will be even slower.

I also think some characters will turn into item users at certain battles, all of them will deal element damage, that's pretty bad IMO, some mobs drain some elements, maybe even few of them at once, through I don't really remember which, it would be stupid through to stuck in a battle with monsters/boss immune to every attack of our party:P and no attacking items in the backpack - running is uncool. :3

The idea of dying once on boss with fav party just to see that we have unused character that is immune on his attacks is quite bad too. Dying at boss fight is uncool:P on the other hand winning with "Weapons" by coming with 1 immune character with killed other 2 and a weapon that multiplies power from dead ally will be quite a cheat.

So to say those changes will work horribly bad without modding most enemies to balance and take positive sides of such mod into work. Idea seems nice, but it just doesn't suit this FF game, by plot, by enemies, by system designed to work as a whole. Modding just part of that system will surely be refreshing, but it'll have huge flaws and heavy unbalance.

Changes that would be a must: dex and luck increase with lvl, lowered for every enemy later in game or easily to obtain from killing/stealing from monsters.

Some bosses AoE attacks would also needed to be nerfed(I mean attacks that can attack whole party need to be weakened), as some bosses love to spam(use often) those attacks, and with such variety and low hp of most characters that would turn most character usefullness to 0.

Also as most characters were turned from physical into magical ones, it would be good to tweak normal attacks to be weaker(as normally they are much more powerfull/faster/usefull than magical which is quite opposite to some other "more magical" ff series) or adding some immunes to normal mobs that aren't to be killed by just one character by the plot to and additionally turning some power up to offensive magic to make it more usefull generally.

Have fun:3 with it anyway.

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-07-17 12:15:44 »
I wasn't clear enough earlier, but of course, my mod edits all monsters and stuff, with their rewards / items, etc.

Aerith, for example, doesn't really need strength : her weapons have special abilities. Her weapons can heal HP, MP (a little), cast Haste, Barrier, MBarrier, ... You also get a lot of materia very early, and shops even in the beginning sell various ones. And even though the Dexterity stat seems low, the characters aren't slow at all, in-game.

I also think some characters will turn into item users at certain battles, all of them will deal element damage, that's pretty bad IMO, some mobs drain some elements, maybe even few of them at once, through I don't really remember which, it would be stupid through to stuck in a battle with monsters/boss immune to every attack of our party:P and no attacking items in the backpack - running is uncool. :3

Don't worry about that, I already thought about it ;)

The idea of dying once on boss with fav party just to see that we have unused character that is immune on his attacks is quite bad too. Dying at boss fight is uncool:P on the other hand winning with "Weapons" by coming with 1 immune character with killed other 2 and a weapon that multiplies power from dead ally will be quite a cheat.

Maybe you misread what I wrote. I said that you won't need to change party members. It will help a lot, but given your ability as a player and your strategy, you might not experience a single game over, no matter what your party looks like. But the difficulty will always keep you on your toes, though.

As for sources, you're given a choice : will you steal from every enemy so you get lots of them, or will you prefer battle-item drops ? That way the player can decide what kind of "drop" he wants : items that cast spells when used (or Potions, Remedies, etc), or a way to improve the characters. And I make it so stealing isn't a chore : most of the time you'll get the item in only one try.

Some bosses AoE attacks would also needed to be nerfed(I mean attacks that can attack whole party need to be weakened), as some bosses love to spam(use often) those attacks, and with such variety and low hp of most characters that would turn most character usefullness to 0.

Don't worry about that (bis) ;)

Also as most characters were turned from physical into magical ones, it would be good to tweak normal attacks to be weaker(as normally they are much more powerfull/faster/usefull than magical which is quite opposite to some other "more magical" ff series) or adding some immunes to normal mobs that aren't to be killed by just one character by the plot to and additionally turning some power up to offensive magic to make it more usefull generally.

Fear not, everything's been tweaked.

I indeed have a blast modding and play-testing my thing, and I expect other players will, too. You can check these youtube videos out, to see if it has chances to appeal to you :

First boss

Aps battle

Pollensalta, and running into a Turks
« Last Edit: 2010-07-17 15:42:57 by Armorvil »

Miseru

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-07-17 18:00:33 »
 Considering that normally simple bosses will be edited to not wipe out a party of 3 "weakest" characters, and Aerith will have at least one attack materia equipped by default to not made her first battles before we can equip stuff on her endlessly long, I just don't like much the idea of farming sources. Normal game makes unused character grows a bit too, soo they can menage to survive end battles when more than 1 party is made, it also allow player to change his mind into using other characters as he get bored with his fav 3 ingame. If their stats can rise only by using sources, then if you make them too easy to obtain, one can just max all stats of the 3 of fav, ruining the idea of the mod, if they'll be too hard to obtain, then rising stats of all characters will be a pain in the 3 letter body part=].

I think potential player will have just more chance to make the game more repeatable and farming-like hence I think opposite with the idea of this modification. If you want the game to stay variable, then it would need to be impossible to make all characters god-like, yet still usefull at end game. Maybe you just allow luck/dex sources to drop/steal list not all of them, through that's also can be bad with maxing as it rises evasion part too, putting those stats down for all enemies could be a little better maybe, then yuffie could stay usefull with high evasion.

You see I just think making game too hard makes people cheat(good example hardcore mod + guys who say "cloning megaelixirs isn't a cheat" >.>) or save every few seconds that ruin the fun. Making the game too dependable from farming stuff - makes it boring which also ruins the fun. FF7 isn't an mmo to play with friends and make grinding more fun, it's damn boring to run in one place in a circle for xx hours just to make characters "better"(somehow) but if it'll be quite possible then most likely people will do that. It's also boring to make everything die on 1 hit(I mean here awfully high start stats of your characters).

Generally to balance that mod it would practically need lots of enemy edits practically all, while effect would be pretty much same as with characters with normal stat rise, just editied to change them in a way of your liking. If you did it already then it's too late to say more, but why not change them so they get a pretty much normal rise stats with lvl, of those stats you wish high for a character, halved for those that you want to be middle like and none to those you wanna keep as 0(or close to it as I'm unsure if stat 0 will not break too much of damage as I said multiply by 0 = 0 and to generate damage it does multiply by stat if I remember:P). That would mean much less work, could allow to forget about adding sources to drop/steal too which would produce much less farming-like gameplay and still exactly same effect with variable usefullness of characters. Farming stats is surely closer to just editting them in save game than to actual having fun.

Through maybe you do like farming:P, people have different fetishes. Surely you wouldn't need to farm and still be able to go through game, but if it's possible, then most people will do it and then dislike the mod for being too boring. Giving a player too much freedom in a game makes the closer to life, make him work over the game not just turning it on and having fun like it should be designed. That mix of very little freedom and huge linearity is why console rpg's are much more fun than pc ones. Just for example - sure probably most enjoyed game like BG, but actually it was boring if you compare to ANY console game and quite bothersome if you had a real life too:P. I played it once and never returned again, while I played FFVII for over 15 times at least and had nearly same fun everytime. Soo too much freedom = bad idea.

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-07-17 19:43:49 »
Where did you get the idea that I like farming ? On the contrary, I loathe it. You didn't understand me at all. The mod will never need one to run in circles to boost a character's vitality by 20 or 30 points, no. The sources you'll get by stealing random enemies, over the course of the game (ie. without stopping to train) will be more than enough to "adjust" the stats the way you like them. They absolutely won't be needed to beat the game. But still, if I implemented this "stolen sources" idea, it is to give the player freedom. Someone likes farming for hours to improve his characters ? Fine, then let's just give him the possibility.

I wonder, what did you think of FFXIII (if you played it) ?

Me, I didn't like it much. Not because you're on rails, but because there is almost no customization. The leveling system of your equipment must be the worst thing ever designed. The crystarium is a poor man's sphere grid - in the sense that it doesn't give you any kind of freedom. Yes, you can choose which role to improve, but the game is designed in a way, that the one you choose is of no importance : the stat gains are almost identical from one job to another, and once you reach the level cap for the chapter, you'll have so many CPs that you'll have improved all your roles to the max anyway (and you'll realize that taking time to choose which role to increase, was completely useless). I understand why they capped leveling-up between chapters, but it ended up taking away more freedom from the player. Combining all this with the fact that battles can (most of the time) only be won a certain way (and with the fact that the story sucks >.>), gives the game an almost non-existant replay value.

Now, why am I talking about FFXIII, you ask ? Well, because I see things differently. I want to open up the gameplay possibilities, and as soon as possible. I want to give the player a choice on their party's stat growth, and I want him to be free to grind, if he feels his abilities/stats aren't good enough. How could this be bad, I ask of you ? And once again, grinding in my mod won't be recommended at all. By running from A to Z, and fighting random battles as they come, you should have enough experience to defeat the next opponents. And I am not taking sources into account (I don't use them while play-testing).

Or maybe you think that, once a player realizes that he can get sources in any random battle, he'll run in circles until he's maxed his stats ? Well I don't think many people will think like that. If they play a difficulty mod, isn't it to experience difficulty ?... ...But, if stat-maxing in the early game is his definition of fun, then why not let him ?... ...Does it harm someone ?... ...I don't think so. If he wants Cloud in the first reactor with 255 in all stats, there is no reason not to let him do it.

Also, I think you overestimate the usefulness of stats. Someone who has 255 in vitality / defense only halves the damage of an attack. And power is a lot more dependant on your character's level, than it is on strength/magic. The only stats that have more importance, somehow, are Dexterity and Luck. But those two Sources will be a little rarer.

You see I just think making game too hard makes people cheat(good example hardcore mod + guys who say "cloning megaelixirs isn't a cheat" >.>) or save every few seconds that ruin the fun. Making the game too dependable from farming stuff - makes it boring which also ruins the fun. FF7 isn't an mmo to play with friends and make grinding more fun, it's damn boring to run in one place in a circle for xx hours just to make characters "better"(somehow) but if it'll be quite possible then most likely people will do that. It's also boring to make everything die on 1 hit(I mean here awfully high start stats of your characters).

I agree 100% with the above, hence why I think you didn't understand me earlier. The only thing I'm gonna add is, if someone wants to cheat through the mod, then let him. If it allows him to have more fun, then fine. Giving some fun is the goal of my mod - heck, it should be the goal of all video-games.

And no, random enemies won't go down in 1 hit. But they won't go down in 10 hits either. Random battles should end relatively quickly, so giving enemies a lot of HP isn't always judicious. It's all about balance, and I'm quite happy with my balance.

Giving a player too much freedom in a game makes the closer to life, make him work over the game not just turning it on and having fun like it should be designed. That mix of very little freedom and huge linearity is why console rpg's are much more fun than pc ones. Just for example - sure probably most enjoyed game like BG, but actually it was boring if you compare to ANY console game and quite bothersome if you had a real life too:P. I played it once and never returned again, while I played FFVII for over 15 times at least and had nearly same fun everytime. Soo too much freedom = bad idea.

I agree that J-RPGs are more fun than W-RPGs (even though I didn't try many W-RPGs). But I disagree with your "too much freedom = bad idea". You sound like FFXIII's main game designer. My favorite FFs are FFV, FFVI, FFVII and FFX (with the Expert Sphere Grid from the PAL / International version). I love being able to tweak my teams, and I love trying out new things in battle. I regret that the original FFVII is full of wasted potential, and with this mod I'm striving to restore this potential.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-17 22:16:04 by Armorvil »

Miseru

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-07-18 04:08:27 »
It was just a sarkasm;P it's fairy obvious you want to make game more variable than farmable, but if you open possibilities to farm to overpower characters, people who normally wouldn't bother to do it, will with your mod, hence allowing it is opposite to the main idea.

And damage calculation is fairy simple for normal attacks it's:
(Power / 16) * (Stat + [(Level + Stat) / 32] * [(Level * Stat) / 32])  if you put 0 as some character str and game will not crash it'll most likely miss or deal 0 damage if the wiki doesn't lie with this info;P. Also you can see from that Stat is actually most important here.

I didn't played ffXIII quessing through it's MMO, I played lots of mmo, but in mmo you do boring stuff along with FRIENDS hence making it fun. In theory person grinding in single player game must be an mmo addict who didn't paid for his net for too long and got cut off from it:P, but in practice if something is possible and will make character stronger people will do it. IMO ruining their own fun in the process. Soo many games could be much more fun if they gaved a little less of that grinding impulse you add with increase stats with sources only.

Basically I see it's useless to make a mod that allow to play in a way opposite to it's own ideals. It's like making another hardcore mod with an ultra easy option, and I don't mean difficulty as I don't see it would be hard in any way, but general opposites. Oryginal FF7 gives enough freedom to play as you wish doing any character a low hp magican or high hp physical, making a high dex thief or a delicate healer, so modding a game in a way it can ruin the system in from one side nearly hardcoded differences between characters, from other close to cheating way to make them all same again - fairy useless.

Last words on this topic as I start to repeat myself:P. Something like that can be made in unmodded game easily, any good of mod would be to disallow other ways to show your own vision of the game. I'm not really interested in this mod anyway, just showing some constructive criticism.

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-07-18 08:56:44 »
It was just a sarkasm;P it's fairy obvious you want to make game more variable than farmable, but if you open possibilities to farm to overpower characters, people who normally wouldn't bother to do it, will with your mod, hence allowing it is opposite to the main idea.

Err... ...No. Playing a mod generally doesn't change one's habit in playing the game. A sane player who earns one Power source and one Spirit source in one battle, won't do the same battle 50 times. He'll just say "hey, I earn sources in random battles, cool", and just continue running toward the next boss, earning more sources on the way. If you can progress through the game with your current stats, why the hell would you waste time overpowering yourself ? It's the same as leveling to 99 in the first reactor. Why aren't you also criticizing the original for this atrocity ? It's the exact same thing. It's useless, and very few people would do that. But let the crazy people have their fun, too.

And damage calculation is fairy simple for normal attacks it's:
(Power / 16) * (Stat + [(Level + Stat) / 32] * [(Level * Stat) / 32])  if you put 0 as some character str and game will not crash it'll most likely miss or deal 0 damage if the wiki doesn't lie with this info;P. Also you can see from that Stat is actually most important here.

Why are you focusing on Aerith's strength ? 0_o As I said, her weapons don't do physical damage anymore, and this particular algorithm only works for basic physical attacks. As for Barret's Magic, even though I made him start at 0, due to how the game calculates stats, his mag stat will be more than 0 when he joins the game.

I didn't played ffXIII quessing through it's MMO, I played lots of mmo, but in mmo you do boring stuff along with FRIENDS hence making it fun. In theory person grinding in single player game must be an mmo addict who didn't paid for his net for too long and got cut off from it:P, but in practice if something is possible and will make character stronger people will do it. IMO ruining their own fun in the process. Soo many games could be much more fun if they gaved a little less of that grinding impulse you add with increase stats with sources only.

If you read my previous post and still think FFXIII is some kind of MMO, then you have reading comprehension issues. Besides, given how powerful I'm making enemies, I don't think people will be able to farm sources much. Their supplies of MP / Potions will quickly run out if they stay in one place for too long.

Basically I see it's useless to make a mod that allow to play in a way opposite to it's own ideals.

I'm not making a mod that allows to play in a way opposite to its ideals. I'm just making a mod that allows for more possibilities, more styles of play, gives you a way to choose the kind of growth you want for your characters, makes all weapons useful throughout the game, modifies the enemies' placement, and gives you incentive to sometimes change your party.

Oryginal FF7 gives enough freedom to play as you wish doing any character a low hp magican or high hp physical, making a high dex thief or a delicate healer, so modding a game in a way it can ruin the system in from one side nearly hardcoded differences between characters, from other close to cheating way to make them all same again - fairy useless.

I disagree about FFVII giving enough freedom to do whatever you want with a character. The stats of the characters are almost the same, and the differences, when there are, are so low that it doesn't matter at all. You get so few sources during your walkthrough (unless you farm them in the Gelnika), that they don't matter at all. And most weapons are basically upgrades of each other, with more power / materia slots. The only customization you got is materia equipping, and since you get materia sparingly, your customizing choices are very reduced until the game is almost finished.

Last words on this topic as I start to repeat myself:P. Something like that can be made in unmodded game easily, any good of mod would be to disallow other ways to show your own vision of the game. I'm not really interested in this mod anyway, just showing some constructive criticism.

I don't want to restrict the player. Let's let him have his fun, whatever it is.
I'm all for constructive criticism (hence this thread), and you brought some good points that I took good note of. Still, most of your criticism doesn't stand on facts but baseless assumptions. And me trying to counter your arguments seems to be useless, since as you say "you're not really interested in this mod anyway", and you already chose to dislike it without actually playing it. There's obviously no way to change your mind, and I'm not going to repeat myself.

But thank you for posting your thoughts ; I really appreciate that you took the time to type all that Miseru even though you never was interested in my mod (which shows in your posts). I assure you your criticisms (the relevant ones, at least)didn't fall on deaf ears. And it allowed me to talk more in-depth about what I'm doing with this mod. So thank you again !
« Last Edit: 2010-07-18 09:57:33 by Armorvil »