Author Topic: GUI v2.0  (Read 45536 times)

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
GUI v2.0
« on: 2010-10-23 20:22:13 »
Hey guys here is a release of version 2 of the gui. Most things are fixed, there are a few outstanding things to do. Mainly cait sith's slots and battle square stuff. Should be fully compatible with DLPB's menu mod.

Anyways here it is
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E7C0IE1K

Note: Only fully compatible with english right now. Dialogue should work fine with french, spanish, and german as well.

Many thanks to titeguy3 for allowing the use of his main title screen :D
« Last Edit: 2011-02-08 01:58:18 by sl1982 »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: GUI v2.0
« Reply #1 on: 2010-10-23 20:33:54 »
Cheers!  and yes it is. (Remember to install the Avalanche mod first)

8)

« Last Edit: 2010-10-23 20:49:41 by DLPB »

philman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-10-24 04:06:31 »
i no have menu mod, this will work for me? uhmm anyone can post screenshots for i know the changes of gui 2.0? :-(

willis936

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-10-24 07:57:23 »
I'm not sure if anyone else is noticing this but the new font has some serious spacing issues that weren't there before.
Also I know this is about half a year too late but I have a bit (huge) affinity for nixie tubes and though there technically they never made krypton nixies my quarrel comes with the brightness rather than color.  They seem too dim for nixie tubes and the hue seems slightly off from the original (I could be wrong here).  I know sticking to the original is more important that adhering to realism (final FANTASY etc.) but I think visually the timer could use a helping hand in sticking out.

AlbusJC

• If you really love something let it go
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-10-24 10:55:17 »
The file is temporarily unavailable  :'(

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-10-24 15:49:50 »
I'm not sure if anyone else is noticing this but the new font has some serious spacing issues that weren't there before.
Also I know this is about half a year too late but I have a bit (huge) affinity for nixie tubes and though there technically they never made krypton nixies my quarrel comes with the brightness rather than color.  They seem too dim for nixie tubes and the hue seems slightly off from the original (I could be wrong here).  I know sticking to the original is more important that adhering to realism (final FANTASY etc.) but I think visually the timer could use a helping hand in sticking out.
<HUMOR_MODE>So you want the font to be 3d?< /HUMOR_MODE>
Perhaps screen capture both screens font output and cut out that section of the image that shows the time, for each. Then do a pixel test to see how far off it is (HSV or RGB based either way). I would be sure to use the identical time for both examples. You may want to also see if it is different per background as well.

Cyb

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-10-24 16:50:44 »
The new font is pixel perfect to the original. The old one was not. It was the only way to avoid graphical glitches. If you do not like the new one you are free to use v1.

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #7 on: 2010-10-25 19:02:46 »
http://screencast.com/t/x7svfEjIdD2
There's definitely something going on here. You might have lined up all the pixels right, but it doesn't look spot-on to me D:

EDIT: Just realised, the screencap I took says 'it', whereas the shot from the youtube walkthrough says 'this'. Strange.
« Last Edit: 2010-10-25 19:04:17 by NCS »

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-10-25 19:54:34 »
I just looked at something and it seems i made a major error with the new GUI. Field text is using the wrong font sheet, it should be using the wider one. I will try to get a new version up as soon as i can. For now i will leave the one up as it is better then nothing.

philman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-10-25 20:22:35 »
I already uninstall the GUI v2.0 but when i install,my main menu don't worked...the png don't worked  :? anyone knows why this happened? (i already uninstalled but only want know why this happened)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-10-25 20:51:25 »
Probably because modpath isn't working properly.  Open FF7_opengl.cfg and make sure the modpath is set to Avalanche and that the files are in the mods folder in folder called "Avalanche"
« Last Edit: 2010-10-25 21:09:44 by DLPB »

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-10-25 21:20:49 »
The installer should take care of this for you. Make sure you have a version of aali's driver that runs modpath. Preferably the latest version.

philman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-10-25 22:12:52 »
yeah the gui v2.0 care of create a folder named ''avalanche'' for me and my aali's custom graphics driver is the recent version (0.7.8b)...i think i don't need say what mods i have installed (only if you guys want for solve this problem but i think i don't need say :-()

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #13 on: 2010-10-26 02:05:12 »
looking good SL :)

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #14 on: 2010-10-26 20:16:58 »
Just whipped up a quick upscale of the original wide font, looks much better in regards to spacing!
http://screencast.com/t/2rn1eEoKi

Can't wait, Sl!

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010-10-26 20:25:30 »
Just whipped up a quick upscale of the original wide font, looks much better in regards to spacing!

Can't wait, Sl!

Yes you can :P or at least you will.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010-10-26 20:36:24 »

Can't wait, Sl!
It's too bad that can't be a true type font so it could be made dimensionless. This makes rendering the texture for the font a snap if you want to scale it to any resolution you want. In addition you can add alpha data for the AA around the edges as well. Having made some renderings using free type to generate bitmaps. That scheme might work. As for making the font heh, lots of people have made fonts on the net, and there are lots of tutorials. While you wait for sl1982 you could twiddle with that idea.  As I said this allows you to make it dimensionless and scale to a texture as needed using freetype (which can render to a bitmap). The hard part might be font placement in generating the output data.
You would have to look at the original texture that the font is loaded into to tweak that kind of thing. Then be sure the rendering point (XY coordinate) relates to the XY coordinate in the font data. I don't recall how that map data is utilized within the game it's been 2 years since I've played FF7 (too many other games like Front Mission 4 From Mission 5 and From Mission CE). Anyhow a lot of twiddling but you only have to do it once, after that your font can be rendered for the final user resolution and always look correct.

Cyb

Cyb

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010-10-26 20:49:17 »

Can't wait, Sl!
It's too bad that can't be a true type font so it could be made dimensionless. This makes rendering the texture for the font a snap if you want to scale it to any resolution you want. In addition you can add alpha data for the AA around the edges as well. Having made some renderings using free type to generate bitmaps. That scheme might work. As for making the font heh, lots of people have made fonts on the net, and there are lots of tutorials. While you wait for sl1982 you could twiddle with that idea.  As I said this allows you to make it dimensionless and scale to a texture as needed using freetype (which can render to a bitmap). The hard part might be font placement in generating the output data.
You would have to look at the original texture that the font is loaded into to tweak that kind of thing. Then be sure the rendering point (XY coordinate) relates to the XY coordinate in the font data. I don't recall how that map data is utilized within the game it's been 2 years since I've played FF7 (too many other games like Front Mission 4 From Mission 5 and From Mission CE). Anyhow a lot of twiddling but you only have to do it once, after that your font can be rendered for the final user resolution and always look correct.

Cyb

Cyb

I am sure this is doable, but would require a lot more magic from aali.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010-10-27 02:28:52 »
I am sure this is doable, but would require a lot more magic from aali.
Aali magic I hear is in short supply.

Just like I don't have a lot of time to learn a whole new modeling system. LOL

You get busy and the business makes your life frustrating at times I guess.

Cyb

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010-10-27 02:30:01 »
Indeed, either way I am in the process of revamping the font for the 3rd time.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010-10-27 03:36:38 »
The main problem with that is that there's not a single text rendering process you could just replace. Field does its text on its own, battle has maybe 5 or 6 different routines for it, worldmap I have no idea how it does it and menu has one or two of them aswell.

Its still possible though, its just a lot of work for relatively little benefit (what we have now works and already looks much better than original)

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010-10-29 23:12:15 »
New version 2.0.5 out now. Now supports other languages in field and menu. Also fixes the spacing problem. Check first post for link.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2010-10-30 23:48:18 »
2.0.6 out. Fixes problem with the installer. First post updated with link.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010-10-31 00:15:47 »
Nice. This'll complement the latest custom driver nicely.

willis936

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2010-11-02 19:43:10 »
Okay so while playing around I found a few things.  The limit animation looks like it's taking different fonts for different colors.  Look at the "L", "m", and "t" and you'll see what I mean.  Second the heal spell looks low res but I'll try reinstalling the overhaul and see if that clears it up.  Lastly the field text may be lined up perfect with the original but it still feels off in some places like between the two Ms in "Umm" and "LOVE" and "with", "Let", "me", etc.

EDIT:  Okay so the spell problem went away with a fresh install but when I applied GUI 2.06 I noticed Microsoft Security Essentials put up a red flag immediately after saying it stopped one problem or something.  Thoughts?  Theories?  Also, haven't tested for the limit font problem again yet but the field text is still screwy.

« Last Edit: 2010-11-02 19:59:05 by willis936 »