Author Topic: [WIP] APZ's New Canon Cloud  (Read 228767 times)

Cloud Hetfield

• View Profile
Re: [WIP] APZ's New Canon Cloud
« Reply #75 on: 2010-12-28 06:35:56 »
 You can uploading for now only the Buster Sword? This sword be awesome and i want aply in the game with normal Cloud, can you disponibilize this for download please?

Thanks

apz freak

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2010-12-29 07:22:40 »
I realize that these micro updates aren't quite as exciting. But for only getting to work on this maybe 10-15 minutes at a time it's kinda hard to get any real progress.

I figure I got Cloud's face maybe 95% nailed, so I guess I'll call it a win for now and continue with the rest of him. The rest of him will come along much MUCH faster than just the face.

kela51

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/killakela51
« Reply #77 on: 2010-12-29 07:31:03 »
can't wait your cloud !!! fantastic ;D

kela51.

apz freak

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2010-12-29 08:42:18 »
Well... Like music can be, what was frustrating about Cloud is how exceedingly simple, yet specific, his face is. Funny in that my face is the same kind of face, the 'V' from the cheek bones to the chin, we both share the same profile, almost the same eyes, except mine are less almond. And yet, I just couldn't warp the model of my own face onto Cloud's, I'm sure I probably could have if I had enough patience... but that really isn't all that fun. I look at 3D modeling like sculpting, shape form and volume. Cloud is obviously a slightly heightened anime-ish reality, without the protrusions and creases in his face that like... EVERY real person has on their face. The best solution was to iron out as many edge loops as I could to get his face smooth.

I came to the conclusion that Square models their faces purposefully so that the lines that run through those certain anatomical areas (Like the nasal labial sneer crease) remain smooth

edit: I've been editing the face since my last post, I just updated the image.
« Last Edit: 2010-12-29 09:00:33 by apz freak »

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2010-12-29 16:00:10 »
i quite like the micro updates - means i can give micro criticism, rather than tl;dr critz! That being said I can't spot any inaccuracies of note. Good job! I look forward to wtvs next. hair? torso?.... feet!

Lord_james

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2010-12-29 16:26:37 »
I realize that these micro updates aren't quite as exciting. But for only getting to work on this maybe 10-15 minutes at a time it's kinda hard to get any real progress.

I figure I got Cloud's face maybe 95% nailed, so I guess I'll call it a win for now and continue with the rest of him. The rest of him will come along much MUCH faster than just the face.

Uhm... I think heads and faces are hard, but Cloud's hair looks like need a lot of work... (not faster).

apz freak

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2010-12-29 17:55:55 »

Uhm... I think heads and faces are hard, but Cloud's hair looks like need a lot of work... (not faster).

Well yes.. and than no. I think the modeling of it will be really fast. I've already analyzed his hair to get it right, Plus I got the Crisis Core model to help as reference. It's the texture UV unwrapping that's not gonna be quick.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2010-12-29 20:39:59 »
I've found his hair not that bad to unwrap - just isolate the "cones", cut at the base, and one line up to the point, and you get a triangle to texture, not too bad.

apz freak

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2010-12-29 20:58:58 »
I've found his hair not that bad to unwrap - just isolate the "cones", cut at the base, and one line up to the point, and you get a triangle to texture, not too bad.

Same here honestly, remember... I've unwrapped Cloud's hair twice already. But it's tedious and time consuming. Plus, Old original Cloud has less spikes to unwrap  ;)

Upcoming: I'll compare and contrast this face with all the obtainable Cloud's to prove that I didn't "Swipe UV's" (Whatever that means...) Save you guys a year of curiosity and analyzation.

Giullio

• Where is the love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2010-12-29 21:55:51 »
Too...
Much...
Quality...
For...
My...
Eyes!

That's so cool! Cloud is looking awesome...
hmm... Apz do you have any plans for the other characters?

marryjoy

« Reply #85 on: 2011-01-01 13:59:50 »
Hmmf....APZ is there a feild model on it if its done?  Hmmn... it looks great =)

Soul

• "I'll take a potato chip AND EAT IT!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2011-01-02 04:52:28 »
Well well well. Looks like we have Carmina Topacio in the house. I mean, marryjoy's forum pic.

@topic
Can't wait to see what cloud looks like. :) I am also curious if a field model will be done, if ever, released.

apz freak

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2011-01-19 07:32:39 »
Sorry guys, fell off the horse and started and completed Kingdom Hearts 2 and got everything for the secret ending since the last time I worked on Cloud. But now that I've got some playing done, I'm ready to go back to work! The body won't take too long. But i redid the face geometry AGAIN because the edge loops were too close to the Crisis Core Cloud model (which I'm using as my main reference besides AC screen captures) I'd rather not have another wave of people thinking I copied things worse than I actually did, so I purposely changed the geometry again, keeping the exact same proportions.

It's funny, you analyze where the edge loops run, and maybe exactly follow the eye folds, (only making then loops instead of a spiral) and once it was done the verts of the rest of the face lined up too close to the game model, almost as if you just copied and pasted... disappointing, and I really honestly DON'T want that! This time it's unique beyond all analyzation.

Progress pending in a few days, i didn't forget about it!

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2011-01-19 17:10:23 »
was wondering when you'd pop back up! I look forward to the body, and I'll b ready with detail-crazy criticism :P (is workin on a canon - style cosplay)

apz freak

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2011-01-20 07:10:05 »

Well here's a micro-update that shows that I'm actually doing something! Edgeflow accounted for and everything. Nice and clean and will rig nicely.

Incase you're wondering if I'm making him naked or something, no. I just haven't modeled his metal arm things yet. Better to start with the mirrored elements first before breaking the symmetry. And the hands I bolted on something I previously modeled. It isn't cheating!  :P Especially if I made it, and it works! (I have a stock eye, a stock hand, and a stock ear, sort of stock feet... but low poly)

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2011-01-20 15:18:54 »
wewt - only concern is if the shoulder structure isnt ideal for his sweater's armholes, seems like they could easily  get highly warped - could be wrong.

Keep it up!

apz freak

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2011-01-20 16:30:11 »
Actually I built a loop for the arm holes, more for reference to myself than actually building it out. Wouldn't be a problem for rigging, trust me  ;) Rigging is all about vertex weights. This screenshot shows the mistake of the fact that it isn't really a loop, I accidentally made it an incomplete spiral  :-o Oops! Geometry can confuse me sometimes. But it works out, it'll clean up those 3 or 4 polys better.

apz freak

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2011-01-28 08:14:22 »

Well I keep waiting until I get more work done, but something always comes up, or I get too tired by the time I have freetime... But this is where he's at right now. I'm going with the motto, as simple as can get away with. So even this model (Which will be the higher rez one) will render light, and function and animate cleanly. I'm not going full-out Advent Children with cloth deformation detail because I'm trying to stay light and smart, and as an exercise in various video game techniques. Even though this version won't be put into the game, I will make an even lighter version using this one to bake normals. (More for my portfolio than anything practical)

I'm actually rather proud at how elegant the edgeflow works. It's simple, effective, and very like following the contours of cross hatching of great artists like Da Vinci. Taking that mind set and applying it to modeling (Don't forget people... I'm an ARTIST first and a modeler second)

p.s. or edit:

I added some base colors for you guys benefit and to quickly get a rough idea of how the colors appear on my geometry. I'm not actually modeling with those materials applied, I took them right off after making these screenshots  ;D Also, for these screenshots I'm subdividing my model with the display set to only show the wireframe from the unsubdivided base. (Otherwise known as isoline display)
« Last Edit: 2011-01-28 08:22:03 by apz freak »

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2011-01-28 09:57:18 »
I was getting worried that this thread was going to the bottom of the section.
Good to know you still do some work, even if its little per week, it still walks towards completion.

I can't give you any feedback on it since my eyes don't work well on "people" comparison, i'm kinda bad with faces, etc.
I'm sure this model will be a perfect starting point for anybody who wants to do a advent children body later on.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2011-01-28 14:38:39 »
hard to tell but i think yer pauldron needs more of a lip against the edge near the neck. I think this was an issue with the old one too :P. I could be wrong, its hard to tell from those shots.

apz freak

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2011-01-28 18:20:26 »
hard to tell but i think yer pauldron needs more of a lip against the edge near the neck. I think this was an issue with the old one too :P. I could be wrong, its hard to tell from those shots.

You're right

(Oh and I got your pm, sorry I haven't gotten around to answering it yet, of course I'll help you  ;) )

Cloud1000

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2011-02-22 21:56:38 »
almost a month gone by. any progress?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2011-02-23 02:09:06 »
I'm sure he'll post progress when there is some, just like every other project in the Projects board.  Do not bump topics. Warning issued

To clarify the rule on necro-posting again, there's no problem with it as long as you are contributing something to the thread.  If a thread looks like it is dying, but you were interested in the project, either let it die or PM the author about it's status.  No reason to keep a dead/dying thread on page 1.   Unwarned because I'm in a good mood.
« Last Edit: 2011-02-23 02:15:50 by obesebear »

apz freak

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2011-02-23 15:23:38 »
Nothing worth getting excited about  :'( I've been worked to the bone... This is the first quarter in school that's truly challenged me to the max. I also have an official paid advertisement that I'm working on that'll be on TV and at the venue for SXSW at the Austin Music Festival (Though nothing really all that exciting) I'm at the frayed ends of my productivity and the assignments have been sucking up all my time. I apologize, and truly feel bad about it.

If you guys are interested, I've done some pretty neat things, and once I have some spare time I can show it.

Ah... Cloud, how I regret not touching you for a while... Well I suppose for curiosity's sake, I can post my face poly's submitted for your approval  ;) That YES... I used the Crisis Core Cloud head model as a guide. But NO it's neither the exact geometry or edge loops, and I definitely did NOT copy and paste anything. Given the accusations in the past, I feel like I owe it to you guys to make sure there's no way to say I copied anything.

There it is folks! I DIDN'T RIP OFF ANYTHING!!!! Plus I discovered the Crisis core model is slightly more rounded and 'younger' than the Advent Children one, I can't believe they actually took that into subtle consideration! But there you go. I'm studying edgeflow with vengeance. I think my model has a nice facial flow, and it deforms with expressions quite better than I thought! Although I can't see myself using these face polys as a template for anything else... Maybe other anime-type characters, but that's it really.

and thanks just the same obesebear  ;) You obviously know I won't let this die

apz freak

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2011-02-24 07:20:10 »
Progress! However little of it there is... it's still something!

The boots will be simple, the belts will be modeled out next. Luckily for you guys, I'm really really fast and good at texture painting! (And I've only gotten better since the last Cloud by the way)