Author Topic: Final Fantasy versus XIII  (Read 11616 times)

kicker

• Hojo...what a queer fellow.
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy versus XIII
« on: 2011-09-24 05:59:09 »
Final Fantasy versus XIII is getting somewhere after all those years. Looks promising. Check out the latest info about it below..

Nomura told Famitsu how he performed a walkthrough of the entire world map recently, checking out the towns and dungeons on the way. He said he was amazed at how wide and impressive everything was. A slightly subjective opinion which isn’t much use to us but he does confirm the use of a new lighting engine. Previously, he stated that the games lighting was being improved and that he was aiming for Versus to be photo realistic. Today he confirmed that an entirely new engine was being used just for it.
The Luminous Engine which was announced back in August is Square Enix’s next generation tool kit and parts of it are being implemented into Versus. The engine does have a small tech demo showing what it can really do (not constrained by specific hardware however). Below is a photo and a screenshot from the tech demo. The left is the photo and the right is the render from the engine. A slightly unfair comparison but it still looks impressive. The 15 second walkthrough video of the scene is http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/video/gmw/docs/473/138/html/render.wmv.html but only works on some browsers (IE). Youtube however, doesn’t do it justice.

It really does look quite realistic as far as i am concerned.

fantasycloud

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy versus XIII
« Reply #1 on: 2011-09-28 07:07:58 »
is there a released date of versus 13

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-09-28 10:44:07 »
Wish it was released in 1080p for ps3.
I mean, only Wipeout has native 1080p afaik, the rest is all upscalled :(

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-09-28 16:53:11 »
omfg i actually thought they were real pictures maan those graphics are impressive!

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-09-28 18:53:18 »
That tells me more money and time went into graphics... yet again.  It tells me, don't buy it.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-09-28 19:51:14 »
I agree. Only ugly games are good.

edit: this is sarcasm, by the way.
« Last Edit: 2011-09-28 20:24:23 by Covarr »

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-09-28 19:52:53 »
FFIX is not ugly, yet it is good. FFXII passes because of the gameplay, however I believe most of the SE games are bullshit.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-09-28 19:56:31 »
Crysis looks really good, the game itself was a crock of shit, Saints Row 2 was graphically dated even at release and is a million times better than the far better looking GTA4.

While graphics aren't everything, focusing on them detracts from spending time on the other parts of game development like actually making gameplay fun and challenging, FFXIII showed that you can make a pretty looking game but still end up with a sub par end product in the gameplay department.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-09-28 19:57:42 »
Quite clearly in this case a huge amount of detail has gone into graphics, not a small amount of time.  A huge amount.  As Kitase has pretty much agreed, that is all that counts these days.  If I hadn't sold my PS3 I still wouldn't buy this because it is nearly certain to be graphics over substance.

Still, I can't be sure can I... but I'd definitely wait for the reviews if I were you and make sure you read the ones rated 4-8 not 9 and 10, as they are usually by gushing fanboys.

« Last Edit: 2011-09-28 20:05:00 by DLPB »

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-09-28 19:59:09 »
IMO FFXII is the only good SE game, because of the gameplay. It got overlooked though.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-09-28 20:24:07 »
Games like GTA4, Portal 2, Uncharted, Kingdom Hearts 2, Mass Effect, Arkham Asylum, etc have all shown that a game can have kickass graphics AND be good games. (admittedly, KH2 had some major story issues, but these were mostly related to Nomura being completely insane, not a lack of time or effort in story). Maybe go back a few generations. Shenmue, Metal Gear Solid 3,  Perfect Dark, Super Mario RPG... All of them technical masterpieces AS WELL AS great games.

No, there is no correlation between good graphics and a cruddy game. In fact, games with bad graphics are often AS LIKELY OR MORE LIKE to be crap. Look at Hell's Kitchen, Grey's Anatomy, any Nintendo DS game by Ubisoft, Bomberman: Act Zero, The Sims 3 (Wii version)...

Since it's not generally the same staff working on graphics and gameplay, improving graphics will rarely have a negative impact on the game. If it's bad, it would've been bad anyway, the additional graphics budget simply makes it bad and pretty.

The only exception I can think of to this is Final Fantasy XIII, which was too linear as a result of poor workflow and literally designing world layouts and gameplay around work that graphic designers had done. But this is more a sign of rushed development and unwillingness to delay the game further for the sake of gameplay, rather than too much effort in graphics to begin with.

But to say that good graphics automatically equals bad gameplay? That is quite a narrow-minded point of view with obvious ignorance of plenty of evidence.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-09-28 21:49:45 »
Games like GTA4, Portal 2, Uncharted, Kingdom Hearts 2, Mass Effect, Arkham Asylum, etc have all shown that a game can have kickass graphics AND be good games. (admittedly, KH2 had some major story issues, but these were mostly related to Nomura being completely insane, not a lack of time or effort in story). Maybe go back a few generations. Shenmue, Metal Gear Solid 3,  Perfect Dark, Super Mario RPG... All of them technical masterpieces AS WELL AS great games.

You forgot about Metal Gear Solid 4. It had good graphics and was an awesome game. Some even say it was and still is the best PS3 game released. It even got a perfect score by Famitsu.
« Last Edit: 2011-09-28 21:53:25 by DarkFang »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-09-28 22:09:50 »
Awesome game?  Are you joking?  MGS4 is as bad as FF13...  dumbed down to a shooter with the most ridiculous story of all time.  It has cutscenes everywhere and has the balance completely wrong.  It isn't even a game, it is quarter game three quarter dimwit story and graphics.

Never before have I seen or played a game as BAD as MGS4, and no surprise that I sold my PS3 after I had finished it.   Far from MGS4 being a good ad for PS3 and your argument, it serves to back my viewpoint up and reinforces it with Titanium.

The whole argument I have been making is how graphics are ruining games, and you could not have possibly made my argument any more valid than mentioning that wreck MGS4.

edit:  as for famitsu, "in the pockets of big business" is more like it.  To give that 10/10 you can only be judging it on graphics.  If you consider the story you have to drop it below 10... because the story is a pure nonsense.  If you consider gameplay, the broken pacing and tranq-does-all breaker also moves it below 10, and thats before I even rip into its soul.  (which i cant be bothered doin). 

« Last Edit: 2011-09-29 01:27:35 by DLPB »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011-09-28 22:10:58 »
I deliberately left it out, because of some serious framerate issues, and the fact that DLPB feels it's not as good as previous games in the series and he's the one I was mostly talking to.

Though I suppose L.A. Noire would've been a good additional example.

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-09-29 01:15:39 »
It even got a perfect score by Famitsu.

Nintendogs got a perfect score from Famitsu  ::) , I think that's all we need to know about them (I'm not disagreeing with the MGS4 review as I've yet to play it).

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #15 on: 2011-09-29 03:20:30 »
(admittedly, KH2 had some major story issues, but these were mostly related to Nomura being completely insane, not a lack of time or effort in story).

Oh god don't even get me started. I once filled 20 forum pages with what's wrong with KH2
ARG THE HORRIBLE NIGHTMARES
If Final Fantasy as a series has wasted potential with 10,12,13 and so on, then KH is the same think except CRANKED UP TO ELEVEN
NOOOOMUUUUUURRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA  (╬ ಠ益ಠ) RAGE

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-09-29 03:32:21 »
I rather agree. But I still think it was more a victim of poor design decisions, rather than development in the wrong direction. The reason I even mentioned it is because the graphics, gameplay, and story were all very polished, and it's obvious a lot of time and thought went into them. Whether or not they did a good job is another issue entirely, but unlike FFXIII it never feels rushed, it's all very deliberate.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #17 on: 2011-09-29 04:28:26 »
KH2 is, basically, a children friendly game
However, the premise is much more suited to a more mature audience that won't look away from someone getting stabbed to death for example. I could explain this in detail but it's really not worth the effort.
Nomura needs to stop retconning shit already and making stuff up as he goes along
FF13 is bad for entirely different reasons than KH2
never the less, KH2 was pretty bad
The battle system amounted to "spam air-combo, hammer triangle", the story was just NOMUUURRRAAAAAAA and the characterization was so forced and unnatural I wanted to rip off their head and use it as cereal bowl several times

kicker

• Hojo...what a queer fellow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2011-10-01 02:48:59 »
As a reply to the first comment there's still no release date for FF versus XIII. It was supposed to come out this year but they moved it to 2012 maybe even 2013. No one ever knows with Square nowadays.

As for the rest of the comments and mostly to DLPB. Even though there was a lot of work on ff versus graphics, the story line seems more interesting than the usual staff. Also I've been aware of the release of ff versus from like so many years ago. I really do anticipate the release of this game. It has taken so many years to be released so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. Maybe this one will blow or mind out. We'll just have to wait and see i guess :P

fantasycloud

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2011-10-03 13:18:57 »
 I wish it will be also available on xbox 360    Square -Enix hear our prayers , because ff 13 can be played on both systems

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2011-10-03 13:27:04 »
I wish it will be also available on xbox 360    Square -Enix hear our prayers , because ff 13 can be played on both systems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-uTnqYHZ-I&feature=player_embedded

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2011-10-03 16:42:46 »
I watched the first few seconds and got mad.

You are not Japanese. You have not experienced a Japanese lifestyle. You've never even had to pay a television tax.

Please pronounce words like "Nippon" correctly before making a video in which you proclaim your proud expertise in the field of a culture which you are not part of, Yankee.

I actually creamed my pants with joy when I read this comment, which has genuinely never happened on YouTube since it's full of absolute tosspots.

In other news, I really don't care whether or not this game will be released on 360. However it seems unlikely, as they've switched to a new engine and they've stuck to their guns about it being a PS3 exclusive for 5 years. To be fair, when this game is finally released it's very likely that there'll be a new Xbox model for people to get the RROD on constantly. I'll stick with my PS3 thanks.

fantasycloud

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2011-10-04 02:18:44 »
versus 13 not 13?

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2011-10-04 15:30:56 »
versus 13 not 13?
no they are both completely different not related at all dont know why its called that will surely confuse alot of people at first when i saw this "versus 13" i actually thought you could verse people from ffxiii with the other ff games like FF Dissidia for PSP

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions