Author Topic: [FF7R] Remake Discussion & News  (Read 91736 times)

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
Re: [FFVII-R] 03.2020 - New Trailer
« Reply #125 on: 2019-07-24 16:02:33 »
I think a lost opportunity for them tho was on the PS4 version to not use any of the mods from this site in that build.
Doing so would require lawyers, royalties, and all that other fun stuff.

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 2019-07-24 19:54:54 »
Like they didnt bother with using aali's mod on steam? O_o

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 2019-07-25 00:36:12 »
I've also gotten the impression that aali was compensated for it in some way

mr_nygren

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 2019-08-03 17:06:03 »
I've also gotten the impression that aali was compensated for it in some way

Very odd..

I agree that all the mods should have been integrated in the official remaster, nobody (or at lest not i) wanted the chibi models remastered. I'd be happy with the entire game using NinoStyles models.

destroyedweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2019-08-06 14:38:08 »
The Cloud model hair and face is not what I imagined at all. I know this is a very personal thing. I just don't like he has asian features and a asian fashion hair.. he should look like a natural blonde, not like a hair paint blonde and a lot of hair product. The body on the other hand looks good to me though. Why do you think such need to make him talk? Is not like Nintendo makes Link talk and they can pull it off. I guess the classic chibi model and text is like a book, where your imagination do the most part.

Kuraudo.

• SOLDIER
  • Maktub
    • View Profile
    • Behemoth Productions
« Reply #130 on: 2019-08-20 08:56:14 »
This will make Kaldarasha happy I guess?

Short video: German dub

Gamescon 20th August to 24th
Tokyo Game Show 12th September to 15th

Ready for 2nd round?

Kuraudo.

• SOLDIER
  • Maktub
    • View Profile
    • Behemoth Productions

morningstar

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 2019-08-21 14:14:13 »
Only on PS4 Pro ?
Is there any info that says if it'll be available on xBox ?

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 2019-08-21 17:40:13 »
This will make Kaldarasha happy I guess?

Short video: German dub

Gamescon 20th August to 24th
Tokyo Game Show 12th September to 15th

Ready for 2nd round?

Well, it just means that they didn't put as much perfection into the correct facial expressions for the voices as they did for KH3, which voices couldn't be translated because of the perfect synchronization between English voice and expression. It's a shame that they don't give 100% for remake.

Seriously, it's actually a reason for me to buy it, one day, maybe.

Kuraudo.

• SOLDIER
  • Maktub
    • View Profile
    • Behemoth Productions
« Reply #134 on: 2019-08-27 07:56:46 »
Gamescon 2019 in detail!

Walltext coming

Spoiler: show
Instructional video:
It starts with a pre-rendered cinematic video showing infrastructure, workers and the daily life of Midgar.
A narrator is talking about the great things Shinra provides to the citizens of Midgar, leading everyone to the Promised Land with the power of Mako, which powers everything as a safe and clean energy source and is responsible for transforming Midgar into this thriving metropolis.
In the middle of that Shinra propaganda video, it glitches out and Jessie takes over.
During that cinematic video, however, we get a great look at several parts of Midgar (above the plate only, of course). Here are some notable details:
It starts with a camera pan over parts of Midgar showing a modern cylindrical building also seen in the background of the E3 2015 reveal teaser and the shot of Cloud on the Hardy Daytona introducing editions and pre-order bonuses. We also see a train passing by an industrial area and a highway with a noise shield on one side running perpendicular to it.
Another shot shows rooftops with multiple chimneys on top and another highway suspended high above with big Mako pipes running alongside of it and through the building scape. We also see a swarm of white doves flying by.
The imagery in both shots is very reminiscent of the reveal teaser from E3 2015.
Then we get a camera pan down into the streets with many different buildings resembling a neighborhood in New-York City. One of the buildings even has a silo on top like the one I described in my latest analysis video (Game Analysis #10)
The next few shots show cafés, restaurants, shops, traffic lights, lots of fire escapes, awnings, AC units, familiar cars driving by, citizens going about their day, children riding their bicycle and construction workers doing their job.
In another shot, they show mechanics swapping Mako canisters of a car (like changing batteries) and loading full ones onto a small green pickup truck with only one back wheel. We already saw similar canisters in the gameplay demonstration footage and I even mentioned those in one of my videos (Game Analysis #8).
In the last shot, we see a mechanical digger carrying a pipe segment. What the most interesting about it is that it doesn’t bear an excavator shovel at the end of its arm but instead that very same brown robot hand seen in the original game on that broken highway in the sector 6 slums.
What’s very interesting about those scenes is that everything takes place in broad daylight and it doesn’t feel dark at all, very much comparable to those skyscraper and highway shots in the reveal teaser.
I hope those scenes are part of the final game releasing next year.
After Jessie takes over, we learn the combat basics of which we already know plenty. However, several camera angles are different. The sector 1 station interior (having different ads, and the shampoo ad returns), the Guard Dog area, the room with the elevator and the area with the large ramp where Cloud uses a Potion in the gameplay demonstration from E3 2019 also received new angles.
Another new aspect is Cloud’s ability Triple Slash. It’s the one we see him perform in the E3 2019 trailer footage in the subway tunnels. He hits 3 different targets with wide slashes which may hit multiple enemies per hit if in range. It consumes only one ATB charge.
We also get to see the Sweeper step onto Cloud, pinning him to the ground, inflicting high damage and bringing Cloud into the KO status, where the screen lights up in red (like when on low HP). Barret then need to use a Phoenix Down on Cloud to have him get up again. Jessie explains that the game isn’t over until all party members are KOed.
Last point, Cloud uses an Ether which shows an orange-red effect around him to contrast the green one for Potions.
Show floor Demo:
It starts with a short scene just beyond the entrance to the reactor core hall with Jessie telling us about the objective and then seamlessly transitions to gameplay.
Of course, we can’t interact with the entrance door, but there’s a huge Shinra logo on the floor.
Maximilian Dood told us that you can talk to Jessie and she says something like “I’m flattered that you decided talking to me, but why don’t you blow ‘her’ mind instead?” (talking about the reactor). In German, her line is different: “What now? Can’t stay away from me, can you? Business before pleasure!”
There are green octagonal arrow symbols above and below the ladders to signify interaction, similar to the green arrows in the original when having the help indicators enabled by pressing select. While Cloud is on a ladder and during combat, that icon turns into a grey “unavailable” symbol.
The whole walkway layout of this area turns out to be exactly as I described in my analysis of this room. However, before going down the short staircase to the platform Jessie will be waiting on, the walkway goes a little further to a treasure chest containing a Phoenix Down. There’s also a platform below the entrance reachable through a ladder from the second optional path I mentioned in my analysis (the one higher up where you have to climb down a ladder).
Speaking of that second optional path, it’s barred off by yellow tape in this demo.
The other short optional side path close to the bottom also contains a treasure chest with an Ether inside.
Treasure chests can be opened by pressing triangle (the same visual prompt seen in the E3 2019 trailer), but only outside of battle.
Abilities like Braver can miss if you active them when the target is out of reach.
Enemies, most likely only organic ones, dissipate into green Lifestream particles upon death. This is an in-lore explanation for them disappearing to prevent clutter in combat zones. Though I think that’s only for death animations and not actually the case for anything dying in the story and the game world.
Cloud can swing his Sword outside of Battle by pressing square and destroy Shinra crates. The side plates of those remain on the floor. For how long, I do not know.
Destroyed Shinra crates may randomly drop an item, which can be picked up by merely walking over them. In this demo I’ve only seen orange-red glowing orbs called Makonites which heal 5 MP. That’s possibly the reason for their color. Other pickups might have different colors like green for HP healing orbs.
There are no other maneuvers possible in exploration mode. No combos, no dodge rolling and no blocking as well as no jumping, at all. More proof that it’s not a typical Action RPG. Exploration and combat mode are still strictly separated from each other.
Stances and special attacks mapped to triangle have been replaced by Guard (R1), at least on the UI and only for this demo. Possibly as to not overwhelm the players and, more importantly, not to reveal a feature they haven’t fully revealed yet.
While blocking, you can’t attack or dodge roll. You have to release R1 first. This doesn’t apply to commands executed in Tactical Mode.
By holding down square instead of tapping, Cloud will only perform a 3-hit combo. With tapping, 5 hits are possible. For Barret’s attack, square is meant to be held down.
Usage of an ability seems to reset combos as you always start with the first hit. The gameplay demonstration proves otherwise, so I think this is a feature deactivated in this demo.
We can see how lock on works. The targeting reticule largely remains the same but is missing those 4 horns and says “locked on” below. The camera automatically follows the target, but it’s not strictly centered on it. Also, it seems you can’t manually change targets when locked on. Soft lock-on is also purely automatic.
Security Officers have 4 attacks: Rifle, Grenade Toss, Tonfa hit and a Kick. 2 more than in the original. They also jump back after a close-range attack to get out of range.
Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem we’re able to throw them over the railing and let them fall into the Mako basin. Looks like there are invisible walls all around those walkways.
Monodrives are very agile and seem to have only 2 attacks: Drill Dive and the Fire spell, the same ones as in the original.
Speaking of Fire, when hit by a Fire spell, a small flame residue stays on the target as I’ve mentioned in my combat analysis, but there’s no Burn status effect.
Sentry Rays seem to have only one attack: their laser, as they do in the original game.
The responsiveness is generally very good, especially when compared to the clunkiness of FFXV and the controls feels more precise.
When opening the Commands Menu during exploration, the status elements of all characters in the party appear and fade out shortly after exiting the Commands Menu.
You can also run by holding R2 during exploration and slide down and scramble up ladders for faster traversal.
Barret follows you around but not as obnoxiously as in FFVIII. However, he doesn’t seem to be doing his own thing and always catches up to you and stops a few feet behind Cloud.
Some more interesting banter between Cloud & Barret: “Boy oh boy, that’s a long way down. I’m glad I’m not afraid of heights” – “Doesn’t matter if you fall.” – “Haha… very funny.”
In the cutscene at the pump regulator before the boss, Barret wants Cloud to place the explosive.
In the English version, Barret says “Let’s see if little Stamp bites the hand that feeds”. Stamp is an in-universe pop culture reference to a cartoon dog carrying a military helmet seen on 2 different ads, one informing about The Adventures of Stamp, Book 3, “Stamp stands up for his friends!”. In my opinion, Stamp is used to subtly distribute Shinra propaganda among the citizens of Midgar. Everyone loves an adorable mascot, right?
In German, Barret talks about the opportunity to prove to him that Cloud isn’t one of Shinra’s lap dogs anymore and doesn’t mention Stamp at all. Bummer.
Barret really doesn’t trust him yet and it shows that he only let Cloud tag along because of Tifa (and because they needed a skilled fighter and someone knowing the insides of a reactor).
While Cloud is setting up the explosive, Barret has a frightening grin on his face while rubbing his chin. There’s already a meme on this site with that picture.
We also see Cloud having another episode, a memory glitch of sorts, where he sees a lone black feather floating to the ground and disappearing into thin air before Barret rips him out of it.
Then, the scene we already know starts and the Scorpion Sentinel appears.
In the demo, Barret and Cloud both have 3 abilities and 3 spells each. Braver, Focused Thrust and Triple Slash for Cloud, Steelskin, Focused Shot and Bullet Barrage for Barret. Cloud can cast Fire, Cure and Blizzard and Barret knows Thunder, Cure and Aero. (Aero Materia? YES!)
As Maximilian Dood said, when casting Blizzard onto an enemy, the ice sticks for a short time. Not sure if it actually freezes them.
Barret’s ability Bullet Barrage sprays loads of Bullets onto the enemy, lands more hits, shoots faster and deals much more damage (x3?) and his standard attack but also consumes all remaining ATB charges. Parts of that ability can be seen in the E3 2019 trailer where he shoots at the Air Buster (and a little bit against the Sweeper in the gameplay demonstration).
If hit by the Scorpion Sentinel’s Tail Laser attack, be it when grappled or during phase 3, does deal a good amount of damage (~300 and ~470 respectively). However, the demo build has been toned down in terms of damage and difficulty. In the final game, those attacks might even be instant kills, which I would welcome.
Someone commented on my combat & gameplay analysis video (Game Analysis #9) and made me aware of a feature I haven’t noticed so far. MP regeneration. We were told that MP doesn’t regenerate automatically. However, that’s not entirely true. During the whole demo, MP regenerates by 1 around every 30 seconds (hard to say due to different actions pausing the timer). Though I think this is due to the air being filled with Mako fumes, leading to a slow MP regeneration. I think that’s an ingenious feature!

(credit to Vyzzuvazzadth/Richard)

Spoiler Picture of Midgar Life on plate (Shinra propaganda video): https://imgur.com/a/mHAjDWd

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 2019-08-27 13:42:59 »
https://youtu.be/kJvzzivkK28?t=5m15s

This worryingly looks like FF15 battle system more than anything else :(

It shows cloud doing basic type attacks (like ff15), then the game been paused in a tactical mode to issue more advanced commands.

The targeting system mentioned by Kuraudo worryingly reminds me of star ocean 4 which was one of the most annoying targeting systems I have seen in a action rpg.

Kuraudo.

• SOLDIER
  • Maktub
    • View Profile
    • Behemoth Productions

Kuraudo.

• SOLDIER
  • Maktub
    • View Profile
    • Behemoth Productions
« Reply #137 on: 2019-09-11 17:27:38 »
TGS 2019 Trailers - Reno, Don Corneo, Summons revealed
New TGS Trailer - english
New TGS Trailer - japanese
« Last Edit: 2019-09-11 17:42:29 by Kuraudo. »

d1474796

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 2019-09-11 18:07:54 »
« Last Edit: 2019-11-22 08:31:18 by Lorath »

d1474796

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 2019-09-14 09:32:32 »
« Last Edit: 2019-11-22 08:28:05 by Lorath »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #140 on: 2019-09-14 10:32:24 »
TGS presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x1AGz8DwtY

16:40 - They talk about Classic Mode and demonstrate it for the Guard Scorpion battle.

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 2019-09-14 15:57:51 »
Looks great. Will probably be sticking to the new battle system but classic mode is gonna be great for those lazy moments. It's also great that the option exists at all for those who prefer it. I guarantee people will still find some way to cry about it though.

d1474796

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 2019-09-14 16:08:20 »
« Last Edit: 2019-11-22 08:28:16 by Lorath »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #143 on: 2019-09-14 16:15:14 »
Perhaps a nitpick from nostalgia or whatever, but calling it "classic" doesn't sound right to me. I assume they want to appeal to the turn-based fans who want something close to the traditional FF(7) experience. However, it seems more like a hybrid of action mode and "classic" mode, which again emphasizes that this is an action game at heart. Also, seeing some reaction to this news kinda confirms this.

Now can't turn-based fans complain.

Everyone gets what they want now.

Slapped along with the never ending praise the game have gotten since the 1st trailers. This game will apparently be the best thing humanity has ever created, even though the gameplay is still not fully realized and only a few people have actually tried it.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #144 on: 2019-09-14 16:35:13 »
It closest resembles Active turn-based where instead of only the enemy being the active AI, everything is active AI. Watch all the AI battle itself until your ATB is full, then choose a Command to throw into the mix. Rinse and repeat.

d1474796

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 2019-09-14 16:38:58 »
« Last Edit: 2019-11-22 08:28:26 by Lorath »

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 2019-09-14 16:57:34 »
which again emphasizes that this is an action game at heart

Which is no secret. It IS an action game. However, the fact they actually added an option to try and please people who are far more into the turn based combat system is pretty cool. Is it going to be perfect? Well I guess it remains to be seen... it appears that instead of your characters just sitting with their weapon in their hands, waiting for commands, they'll just be moving around and doing some very light damage hits. It might not be a 1:1 copy but hey! At least the option exists. I personally didn't see it coming at all so it's definitely a nice surprise.

Kuraudo.

• SOLDIER
  • Maktub
    • View Profile
    • Behemoth Productions
« Reply #147 on: 2019-09-14 17:56:16 »

Koby

• Beyond the Grave
    • View Profile
    • Kametsu
« Reply #148 on: 2019-09-14 17:57:49 »
Cloud basically looks like Lightning's identical twin here...

Kefka

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 2019-09-15 08:54:13 »
It's like what they did in FF12 - where no-one who valued their sanity actually used the "turn based mode".  It was impossible to like it.  Having optional modes for battles seldom, if ever, works. Why?  Because common sense alone should tell you the amount of work needed to pull that off properly is insurmountable.

Actually, I did just that on my first FF12 playthrough, lol. I didn't like that new idea of my party acting automatically without me doing anything in combat, so I decided to turn off gambits entirely and try to play it the oldschool-way. But... it was just like you said, a real chore. Enemies would always go much faster than my own party. Naturally, because selecting actions manually takes time, whereas AI-controlled entities (be it enemies or characters) act instantly the moment their ATB gauge is full. As a manual player, you would always end up losing valuable seconds for command input, causing your party members to get way fewer turns than the enemy. And why? Because the game's battle system and difficulty were tailored towards the gambit system, and the developers were expecting players to make use of it. If you chose not to, the entire balance would be ruined, as a manually controlled party would always end up getting only about half (or even less) as many turns as a gambit-controlled party, with direct consequences regarding difficulty. I can't even remember how often I got pummeled to death simply due to a lack of turns. Once I replayed the game using gambits the second time through, the difference was astounding! It was almost too easy now.

The problem with multiple modes for battle systems is, like you said, that any battle system will be naturally geared towards one mode, and then the difficulty balance would be way off when chosing the other. If geared towards AI-controlled mode, then manual battling will be too hard. If geared towards manual mode, then auto-battling would make everything am breeze. At least that's what it was like in FF12. And I'm afraid in FFVII Remake it'll be similar...