Author Topic: PSX version of FFVII patched ?  (Read 4809 times)

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
PSX version of FFVII patched ?
« on: 2005-10-04 23:13:39 »
Okay, I know that some people here managed to patch the PSX version, by opening the ISO file, replacing SCENE.BIN or something else with the patched one, and by burning the game on a new CD.

Well, it doesn't work for me; I must do something wrong... After making an ISO file on my computer, I opened it with the UltraISO utility. Then, I replaced SCENE.BIN and saved the changes. First problem : the saved file doesn't occupy as much space as the original, whereas Scene.bin is 256k in each case. Odd (might be a problem with UltraISO)... Anyway, I tried to burn it anyway, and the game crashes at launch (the second playstation opening screen - the black one - is glitchy as a result). I lost 5 CDs in the process  :weep:

I'd be highly interested in hearing how some people managed to do it, and with what utilities (so far, Nero, UltraISO and Alcohol are useless).

Thanks in advance !

Note to moderators/administrators : I'm not sure if what I do is completely legal (it's for my own use though, so I don't think it's reprehensible), so feel free to delete this topic if need be.

Elitist

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2005-10-05 05:30:56 »
Try saving the ISO to a separate new file rather than saving changes to the current one.

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005-10-05 09:18:10 »
Already tried that to no avail...

psychospacefish

« Reply #3 on: 2005-10-05 09:50:03 »
I did it by building a new ISO with PS2CDGen with only the SCENE.BIN (at the original discs LBA), splitting the original disc into two parts (before and after SCENE.BIN), split the new SCENE.BIN file off the new ISO and "copy /b" joining them together. Long way around I know, but it worked. Use ePSXe to test out the game before you burn!

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005-10-05 21:03:23 »
I have trouble understanding. Could you please be more precise ?

EDIT :

CDGenPS2 only opens PS2 files... I wonder how you did it. Anyway, I tried using "copy /b" to merge my hacked SCENE.BIN  with the FF7 ISO, and it didn't work : when I extracted the SCENE.BIN off the new ISO and opened it with SceneEdit, monsters still had their original stats.

Oh, and do you know another good CD-burner which lets you choose a Mode2 output ?

I'd be really grateful to anyone who could give me step-by-step recommendations...

Napper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005-10-07 15:31:32 »
What patchs can you run with the PSX version? Any graphic improvments?

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005-10-07 19:35:26 »
The patch I intend to use is a "hard-type" patch, which boosts the enemies' stats and levels. But I don't see why other patches wouldn't work, as the PC version seems to share the same directories and data...

Man, I was happy to see a new reply in this topic; I hoped it was someone giving other advices... Don't take it personal though, Napper - you're obviously free to ask other questions in here :)

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005-10-08 00:04:54 »
one tool I would recommend is CDMAGE, search for it on google.
I used this when I edited Pro Evolution soccer for PS2 and also Dragonball Z budokai.

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005-10-10 19:25:47 »
Thanks a lot, The Skillster, CDMage works great ! :D

I have a few problems with my changed SCENE.BIN though, but I'll create another topic about it when the time is right  :)