Author Topic: [PSX/PC] KERNEL.BIN editor - WallMarket (v1.4.5)  (Read 708606 times)

Kemlin

• View Profile
Re: [Release v1.4.5] WallMarket KERNEL.BIN editor
« Reply #850 on: 2011-03-04 04:21:57 »
I could have sworn this was fixed a year or two ago, but I find that in the latest version of WallMarket I cannot set the upper bounds of HP growth above 9999.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #851 on: 2011-03-04 11:50:45 »
I could have sworn this was fixed a year or two ago, but I find that in the latest version of WallMarket I cannot set the upper bounds of HP growth above 9999.

You can't set it permanently, if that's what you're wondering. It's for display purposes only. If that's what you're talking about, yes, I noticed it wasn't working as planned. It'll be fixed in the next version, with which you'll just have to be patient. There's too many IRL events happening to me right now for me to focus on this like I used to.

Kemlin

• View Profile
« Reply #852 on: 2011-03-04 17:51:37 »
No worries, mate. Take your time.

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: 2011-03-10 15:46:34 »
While I think about it, there is a little annoyance involving the Materia section. I think it has been mentionned earlier, but I thought I'd bring this up again.

Let's imagine you want to reduce the number of spells available in a certain materia. I'll take Destruct as an example. Currently, the materia has 3 spells : DeBarrier, Despell and Death. Let's try and reduce that to just Debarrier and Despell.

It involves deleting the '24' in 'Materia Type Modifier 3', and the level 4 Total AP amount ('450'). Problem is, you can delete 24, but 450 won't go away by just deleting the number. Sure you can do that, but as soon as you select another materia and go back to Destruct, you'll notice the 450 is back. Same thing if you save and reload the kernel. So, in our example, the only way (aside from using a hex editor, of course) to remove Death, is to put the amount of AP needed to learn the previous magic (in this example, Despell) in place of our 450. In game, the materia will still have the same number of levels, but the final two stars will be obtained at the same time.

Slight annoyance, but if an amount of AP could be blanked out, it would look better in-game and clear some player-confusion ("huh ? The materia has only two magics but it has four stars ?!").
« Last Edit: 2011-03-10 15:50:36 by Armorvil »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #854 on: 2011-03-10 16:12:08 »
While I think about it, there is a little annoyance involving the Materia section. I think it has been mentionned earlier, but I thought I'd bring this up again.

Let's imagine you want to reduce the number of spells available in a certain materia. I'll take Destruct as an example. Currently, the materia has 3 spells : DeBarrier, Despell and Death. Let's try and reduce that to just Debarrier and Despell.

It involves deleting the '24' in 'Materia Type Modifier 3', and the level 4 Total AP amount ('450'). Problem is, you can delete 24, but 450 won't go away by just deleting the number. Sure you can do that, but as soon as you select another materia and go back to Destruct, you'll notice the 450 is back. Same thing if you save and reload the kernel. So, in our example, the only way (aside from using a hex editor, of course) to remove Death, is to put the amount of AP needed to learn the previous magic (in this example, Despell) in place of our 450. In game, the materia will still have the same number of levels, but the final two stars will be obtained at the same time.

Slight annoyance, but if an amount of AP could be blanked out, it would look better in-game and clear some player-confusion ("huh ? The materia has only two magics but it has four stars ?!").

Two things:
1. The materia AP isn't saving correctly if you want to remove a level. That's going to be fixed in the next version.

2. I'm not going to make it Blank out levels if there's no spell involved. Look at Elemental. You get 40000 AP on it and it says "now you can absorb! want another? Master me with another 40000!" Effects are independent on the level for that. There's no reason for it to have two levels that do nothing, but there's nothing saying that it can't.

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #855 on: 2011-03-10 17:03:10 »
Two things:
1. The materia AP isn't saving correctly if you want to remove a level. That's going to be fixed in the next version.

That's what I meant with my *long* post and that's great to hear !  :D

2. I'm not going to make it Blank out levels if there's no spell involved. Look at Elemental. You get 40000 AP on it and it says "now you can absorb! want another? Master me with another 40000!" Effects are independent on the level for that. There's no reason for it to have two levels that do nothing, but there's nothing saying that it can't.

I don't understand what you're saying. In your elemental example, if I wanted to get rid of its absorbing capabilities, I'd still need to blank out the final level. Its materia Type Modifiers would go from 94-0-1-2 to 94-0-1 (final level = nullify element), and the last AP amount should still be blanked out.

Anyways, I don't care much if you can only allow the user to blank out AP amounts for green materias, but I don't understand the reason behind it since they basically work the same way. Instead of going DeBarrier -> Despell -> Death, Elemental goes : Halve element -> Nullify element -> Absorb element. Just like Destruct, if you want Elemental to only have one of those, you'll definitely want to blank out the extra AP amounts related to the unused levels.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-10 17:15:09 by Armorvil »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #856 on: 2011-03-10 18:06:39 »
I wasn't understanding what you were saying. Now I get it. For now you can blank out a materia's AP requirements making it 65535. That will eliminate levels. You could also set the appropriate bytes using the "Raw Data" panel to FF FF.

You also don't need to have the same number of levels as you do magics. Ultima and Shield are examples of that. You could also add levels to the end to say "Want to master this? Get more AP!" Then you can have four levels to a materia with three spells or even five levels to a materia with one spell, but that's more of an annoyance factor than anything else.

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #857 on: 2011-03-10 19:09:40 »
I wasn't understanding what you were saying. Now I get it. For now you can blank out a materia's AP requirements making it 65535. That will eliminate levels. You could also set the appropriate bytes using the "Raw Data" panel to FF FF.

Oh, F**** !!... ...Of coarse !... ...Inputing 65535 in the box is the same as FFFF, so it deletes it :D
Me and my habit of using the backspace key on my keyboard -_-
Okay, my problem is fixed, I just didn't know how to remove an AP amount ^^

Still, I have no idea how to access this Raw data panel. Bah, it doesn't really matter anyway ^^

You also don't need to have the same number of levels as you do magics. Ultima and Shield are examples of that. You could also add levels to the end to say "Want to master this? Get more AP!" Then you can have four levels to a materia with three spells or even five levels to a materia with one spell, but that's more of an annoyance factor than anything else.

Yeah, my problem was just about removing materia levels. Can't believe I didn't think of inserting the max value  :-[ Sorry about that and thank you for your time  :)

EDIT:

Never mind about the raw data panel. I forgot that you access it when you double-click a materia name.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-11 20:46:28 by Armorvil »

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #858 on: 2011-04-03 18:32:30 »
I was just wondering about the kernel.bin pieces.  I read the first several pages, and searched for a bit, but I couldn't find out how the pieces are seperated.  Are they individual tabs inside WallMarket?  I am wondering because my freakin Cait Sith is broken and was wondering if I can transplant kernel.bin pieces from an unaltered kernel.bin into my Revisited kernel.bin - specifically Character Data, Character Growth, and Character AI under the Initial Data tab.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: 2011-04-03 18:41:10 »
I think ArmorVil is *the* person to ask because he worked a lot with the pieces in the past and so know these things. You can PMing me these if you want, I'll take a look at that (either the whole kernel or the pieces)

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #860 on: 2011-04-03 18:41:43 »
This should help : http://wiki.qhimm.com/FF7/Kernel/Kernel.bin

So the data you're looking for is in pieces Kernel.bin2 and Kernel.bin3 (sections 3 and 4 described in the above link, since the first section is kernel.bin0).

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #861 on: 2011-04-03 19:03:55 »
Thanks, and thanks for responding so quickly.

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #862 on: 2011-04-03 19:16:02 »
No prob ^^

ludokreshx

• View Profile
« Reply #863 on: 2011-04-22 05:08:28 »
ok if this has be addressed, just reply to this post saying "NO" but here is my issue.

Suddenly i am unable to "update text" when opening kernel.bin. This makes the work i do in the kernel pretty much pointless considering most of my work is cosmetic (Changing spell names, weapon names and descriptions, changing item and accessory names and functions, changing materia names and functions.)

Changed the Destruct materia to Water materia and adjusted all 4 attacks (Water, Watera, Waterga, Waterja)
Changed the Exit materia to be used as the missing Destruct materia but with only Break and Tornado attacks

(this did indeed work) the issue became that i did this with an older release of the WallMarket program and something happened where everything with an H, E, or and A in its name deleted those letters. Ex. - (Final Heaven became Final    ven, Seal Evil became S  l  vil, and so on for a large number of materia, accessory, weapons, armor, and item names.)

I went back in many  months later to try and fix the problem by maybe reducing the descriptions on key item names, "deleting" items, and removing descriptions, of simple items like Tent or Soft to reduce the size of the resulting file, but then i see that the check box for "update text" was unavailable to be checked. Therefore i couldn't fix my problem. Is there any particular reason for this? The only way i could make it work was by removing the Kernel.bin and placing it into a lone folder by itself, but then i couldn't "create kernel.bin and kernel2.bin" which is final in implicating the changes. So i was able to make everything work the way i wanted but when the text was ruined i couldn't go back to fix it, nor could i go and start from scratch with a fresh kernel/kernel2.bin

any help or anything i missed that was simple?

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #864 on: 2011-04-22 08:22:46 »
the issue became that i did this with an older release of the WallMarket program and something happened where everything with an H, E, or and A in its name deleted those letters. Ex. - (Final Heaven became Final    ven, Seal Evil became S  l  vil, and so on for a large number of materia, accessory, weapons, armor, and item names.)

Yeah, this is a known problem, and there's still no fix. The only thing you can do is try to correct the names and descriptions. If the same thing happens afterwards, try to do it step by step, by saving your kernel2 file after each correction and by making a backup. Thanks to this method, I noticed that it was when I tried to correct a certain name (cait sith's Game Over limit), that some characters would again disappear. So, in the end, I could correct all the names except this one, and it works fine.

I went back in many  months later to try and fix the problem by maybe reducing the descriptions on key item names, "deleting" items, and removing descriptions, of simple items like Tent or Soft to reduce the size of the resulting file, but then i see that the check box for "update text" was unavailable to be checked. Therefore i couldn't fix my problem. Is there any particular reason for this? The only way i could make it work was by removing the Kernel.bin and placing it into a lone folder by itself, but then i couldn't "create kernel.bin and kernel2.bin" which is final in implicating the changes. So i was able to make everything work the way i wanted but when the text was ruined i couldn't go back to fix it, nor could i go and start from scratch with a fresh kernel/kernel2.bin

From what you're saying you're modifiying the PC version of the game, so it's perfectly normal that the "Update text" function is grayed out. "Update Text" is only relevant if you modify a PSX kernel, since the PSX version doesn't have a Kernel2.bin. As long as you create both Kernel.bin & Kernel2.bin when saving (or only Kernel2.bin), your changes should be saved. If they're not, try my above method because it means that changing a certain name triggers the same bug again.

As far as I know, this problem isn't caused by the file size.
« Last Edit: 2011-04-22 08:28:34 by Armorvil »

ludokreshx

• View Profile
« Reply #865 on: 2011-04-22 17:42:35 »
Yeah, this is a known problem, and there's still no fix. The only thing you can do is try to correct the names and descriptions. If the same thing happens afterwards, try to do it step by step, by saving your kernel2 file after each correction and by making a backup. Thanks to this method, I noticed that it was when I tried to correct a certain name (cait sith's Game Over limit), that some characters would again disappear. So, in the end, I could correct all the names except this one, and it works fine.

From what you're saying you're modifiying the PC version of the game, so it's perfectly normal that the "Update text" function is grayed out. "Update Text" is only relevant if you modify a PSX kernel, since the PSX version doesn't have a Kernel2.bin. As long as you create both Kernel.bin & Kernel2.bin when saving (or only Kernel2.bin), your changes should be saved. If they're not, try my above method because it means that changing a certain name triggers the same bug again.

As far as I know, this problem isn't caused by the file size.

Thank you, it was a big issue due to the fact that I was using mods to change battle and field models as well as changing weapons (using kimera and biturn to replace and change weapons in the game) so effectively it made sense that if it looked different to change its name and description but I will try this hope I find the faulty selection and that it isn't something important :P

Bushy-Brow-1992

• View Profile
« Reply #866 on: 2011-05-07 21:49:46 »
Right... I'm a complete noob when it comes to these things... but I'm having problems getting this working.
I open Wall Market, make my edits (I'm mainly editing weapon models so every weapon looks like the buster sword)
etc etc, I've read the instructions, and so I create the KERNEL.BIN file... I go into my FFVII PC game and try it, but nothings happened.
So... um... help please?
As I said, I'm a complete Noob when it comes to all this and I probably haven't even saved the file right... (although I don't know what I could have done wrong etc... but yeah, help would be very much appreciated.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: 2011-05-07 21:54:34 »
Weapons ID are character-specific, as pointed by LostWingx, and so just Cloud's weapons will all look to the buster sword... For the rest I don't know... Upload it maybe? :P

Bushy-Brow-1992

• View Profile
« Reply #868 on: 2011-05-07 21:57:43 »
Weapons ID are character-specific, as pointed by LostWingx, and so just Cloud's weapons will all look to the buster sword... For the rest I don't know... Upload it maybe? :P

I don't think it's that... lol
I've set all the ID's at 00 because that was the Buster Sword's ID

I just think I don't know how to use the application despite reading the help thing... lol -_-;
I'm a self admitted idiot for these things... haha
I probably need one of those 'For dummies' books for this thing lol...

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: 2011-05-07 22:00:35 »
Well... All Cloud's weapons will look like the Buster Sword, while all Yuffie's weapons will look like the 4-point Shuriken, all of Cid's wepons will... well, you get the point.

Bushy-Brow-1992

• View Profile
« Reply #870 on: 2011-05-07 22:02:04 »
Well... All Cloud's weapons will look like the Buster Sword, while all Yuffie's weapons will look like the 4-point Shuriken, all of Cid's wepons will... well, you get the point.

Yeah, but what I'm saying is... it's not working.
Everything is just normal when I load up the games.
Like Cloud still has the Ultima Weapon etc.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: 2011-05-07 22:02:48 »
Upload your kernel.bin

Bushy-Brow-1992

• View Profile
« Reply #872 on: 2011-05-07 22:05:42 »
Upload your kernel.bin

Could I be a bit of a pain and ask how to do that? ... :/
Sorry lol

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: 2011-05-07 22:06:52 »
http://www.mediafire.com

no need to create an account

Bushy-Brow-1992

• View Profile
« Reply #874 on: 2011-05-07 22:10:06 »
http://www.mediafire.com

no need to create an account

http://www.mediafire.com/?rs31wqrmzdel2xa

There we go.
As I said... I just went onto each of Cloud's weapons and changed the Model ID to 00 like it said to in that other thread.
« Last Edit: 2011-05-07 22:26:42 by Bushy-Brow-1992 »