Author Topic: Gamepad not working  (Read 6863 times)

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
Gamepad not working
« on: 2010-05-09 21:19:16 »
Well my gamepad/joystick isn't working.

Anyone know a solution?

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Gamepad not working
« Reply #1 on: 2010-05-09 21:26:26 »
On what, PC? Plugged in? Properly connected? Got drivers? There's as many potential causes as pebbles on the beach. You need to tell us a lot more, like

- model
- connection type (PS/2? USB? Serial?)
- operating system
- what you've tried so far
- can you confirm it works on other games?
- drivers and software?

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-05-09 21:47:02 »
Oh yeah lol, sorry.

Model: SmartJoy Dual Plus (PS2 controller)
Connection Type: USB
Operating System: Windows XP 32-bit
What you've tried so far: Plugging it in, lol
Can you confirm it works on other games: Works on snes9x, VisualBoyAdvance, epsxe, and Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
Drivers and Software: Not sure, my sister gave it to me

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-05-09 22:15:18 »
You need drivers. Find them.
If the controller works for other things on your PC, and only isn't being recognized by FF7, then it probably *is* being recognized by FF7 and you need to configure your buttons in-game.

If the controller works for other things on your PC, and only isn't being recognized by FF7, *and* FF7 won't let you configure the buttons, download JoyToKey and map your controller buttons to keyboard keys.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-05-09 22:18:25 »
You need drivers. Find them.
If the controller works for other things on your PC, and only isn't being recognized by FF7, then it probably *is* being recognized by FF7 and you need to configure your buttons in-game.

If the controller works for other things on your PC, and only isn't being recognized by FF7, *and* FF7 won't let you configure the buttons, download JoyToKey and map your controller buttons to keyboard keys.

Installed the drivers and it works now. Wow, I feel retarded lol.

Oh by the way, titeguy3, I replied on your thread. Please take a look.

Thanks guys!

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-05-09 23:01:44 »
Seems the D-Pad isn't working now.

Ah well, at least I got the controller working. Is there anyway to fix the D-Pad issue?

EDIT: Got the D-Pad working. :)
« Last Edit: 2010-05-10 01:07:58 by DarkFang »

cjmstate

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013-05-04 19:20:36 »
How did you get the d-pad working?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2013-05-05 14:35:03 »
1. DarkFang hasn't logged on in nearly a year, there's no way he's even gonna see your question.
2. This thread is three years old; I doubt he even remembers the answer.
3. Reviving old threads is generally frowned upon, unless you have something useful to add. A question really ought to get a fresh thread.

If I had to guess, I'd say what's going on is that the game was made back before analog sticks were particularly common. Before analog gamepads, the D-Pad would be assigned as JoyUp, JoyDown, etc... In an effort to make sure their new analog sticks worked on older games, gamepad devs assigned JoyUp, etc. to the analog sticks, and reassigned the D-Pad as POV hat switches (even though technically, a POV hat is only a flightsim thing and totally not a D-Pad). As far as I can tell, FF7 does not support POV hats.

Easy solution: use JoyToKey to make your D-Pad mimic the keyboard keys for movement. It's free, it works pretty well... I actually prefer Pinnacle Game Profiler myself, but that one isn't free, so I don't really recommend it to most people.

cjmstate

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-05-06 03:06:22 »
Ty sir. Solved my problem.

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
« Reply #9 on: 2013-05-17 14:24:37 »
The best gamepad option I'd suggest is the Logitech F710 with Pinnacle game profiler. The controller is wireless and feels like a combination of the 360 and PS3 in one. It's definitely the best, and inexpensive. The software is crap though so don't even bother with it. Pinnacle will detect the Dinput setting. For the Xinput (mode most current games use) use the 360's firmware: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/xbox-360-wireless-controller-for-windows#support It wont work any differently than you'd expect, except now the controller actually works. Pinnacle is free to try, and requires only a one time $12 or so charge. You can try the other free alternative, but from my experience even after configuring things properly at best the character turns around in circles and the controllers are reversed. 

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2013-05-17 18:38:08 »
Can everyone please stop necro-ing the shit out of this?