Author Topic: PSX mods working on PS machine  (Read 3962 times)

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
PSX mods working on PS machine
« on: 2012-05-13 23:02:56 »
I was just wondering if anyone had tried to get any of the PSX mods working on the old playstation machine.  I had always assumed that some minor mods might work, but that mods like Rebirth and Lost Wing had no chance of working.  If someone has gotten any PSX mod to work on the machine instead of an emulator, post it here.  Thanks.

Gemini

• Not learner's Guru
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers
Re: PSX mods working on PS machine
« Reply #1 on: 2012-05-14 02:01:10 »
Broken mod = broken tools. All the stuff I did on FFVII so far worked like a charm on real hardware, even in cases where the changes were pretty extensive and involved code rewrites.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 2012-05-14 12:34:00 »
Rebirth should work just fine. I moved some files around the ISO but I don't see how I could have broken the filesystem.

I no longer have access to my grey PlayStation (it's stuck in the attic at my parents' home), so I've never actually burned a PSX disc for it.

Generally speaking, if a mod won't work on PSX, it's because of some crummy disc authoring / handling software that assumes a Mode 1 CD-ROM filesystem.
« Last Edit: 2012-05-14 12:35:58 by Bosola »

Gemini

• Not learner's Guru
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers
« Reply #3 on: 2012-05-14 15:40:37 »
Or you're just doing illegal stuff to the processor. In most cases it's a matter of memory alignment, like those old broken kernel tools creating incompatible KERNEL.BIN files.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 2012-05-14 16:39:00 »
Why would a kernel cause memory alignment issues? Does the game require uncompressed kernel data to include alignment padding?

archerxtreme

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-05-14 17:03:48 »
Makes me wish i never chucked my old ps. wanted to see if i could do it like others...but then again i only have ff7 for pc and ff8 for ps.....

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #6 on: 2012-05-14 20:52:10 »
Thanks guys.  Just graduated again and have a couple of weeks before I start at my new job, figured I'd play through VII once.  Just wanted to know if I could do it on the grey box or not.  Thought I could kill a few birds with one stone by playing through what I have completed of Revisited, and it just feels better to me to play on the real hardware. 

Gemini

• Not learner's Guru
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers
« Reply #7 on: 2012-05-15 11:13:04 »
Why would a kernel cause memory alignment issues?
Because of the 16 bit pointers in each text section.

Does the game require uncompressed kernel data to include alignment padding?
Yes, it's gonna make the hardware crash otherwise.