Author Topic: FIELD.BIN (exploration) thread  (Read 20876 times)

Gemini

• Not learner's Guru
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers
Re: FIELD.BIN (exploration) thread
« Reply #25 on: 2012-07-24 00:43:10 »
Negative; rather than choosing Save after making modifications, I chose Save As, and created a new image.
You don't need to use Save, changes are instantly applied no matter what command you use after import. With Save As all you do is creating yet another identical copy of the ISO.

Actually, not quite - LBA values are always 150 lower than the corresponding sector IDs, because the first 150 sectors of a PSX disc are used for license data. That means if you're hunting look ups, you have to account for the numeric difference.
There's no difference to be taken into account, you were probably mislead by CDMage's sector scroller (in which sector 150=LBA 0=beginning of the ISO). Let's go by examples: LBA=0 means something is located at sector 0, byte 0; LBA=23 means the sector you need to seek to is the 23rd, byte 54188 (23*2352=54096, where 2352 is the size in bytes of each sector). Licensing data is much smaller than 150 sectors.

Lazy Bastard

• I may be lazy, but I can...zzzZZZzzzZZZzzz...
    • View Profile
    • GameHacking.org
« Reply #26 on: 2012-07-25 00:31:07 »
You don't need to use Save, changes are instantly applied no matter what command you use after import. With Save As all you do is creating yet another identical copy of the ISO.

Ack, you're right. If you choose Save As, it saves both the initial copy AND the new copy...ugh. I stand corrected.

Lazy Bastard

• View Profile
    • GameHacking.org
« Reply #27 on: 2012-07-26 02:23:31 »
Quote from: Gemini
Check if the gzip signature is correct and if the header contains any extra information like time stamps and file names (FFVII doesn't like 'em), just in case.

After resolving the issues I was having with importing files using CDMage, etc (and successfully importing various other files without issues), I've decompressed FIELD.BIN, recompressed it without making any modifications, then imported it back into FF7 Disc 1, and this still caused a crash after choosing NEW GAME. This leads me to believe that there indeed is an issue with the gzip header, or something else related to the gzip algorithm. I've tried using both 7Zip's gzip support and ff7dec and its bundled gzip, with the same results. Of course, I re-added the original 8 bytes that I stripped off in the first place, verbatim.

Is there anything in particular that I should be looking for? I've looked around at the gzip RFC, various articles concerning gzip headers and signatures, and general gzip documentation, but I haven't found anything that describes headers in such a way that I could hex edit and eliminate/modify them in a meaningful way...

Gemini

• Not learner's Guru
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers
« Reply #28 on: 2012-07-26 02:28:30 »
Grab the command line gzip and make sure to use the proper options (should be a couple flags, IIRC) to exclude unwanted stuff from the header.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2012-07-26 08:52:58 »
After resolving the issues I was having with importing files using CDMage, etc (and successfully importing various other files without issues), I've decompressed FIELD.BIN, recompressed it without making any modifications, then imported it back into FF7 Disc 1, and this still caused a crash after choosing NEW GAME. This leads me to believe that there indeed is an issue with the gzip header, or something else related to the gzip algorithm. I've tried using both 7Zip's gzip support and ff7dec and its bundled gzip, with the same results. Of course, I re-added the original 8 bytes that I stripped off in the first place, verbatim.

Is there anything in particular that I should be looking for? I've looked around at the gzip RFC, various articles concerning gzip headers and signatures, and general gzip documentation, but I haven't found anything that describes headers in such a way that I could hex edit and eliminate/modify them in a meaningful way...
I edited the gzip header like this and it worked ingame (tested on a emulator)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocE73qwTlgE
All i basically did was copy the header of the file from the original FIELD.BIN over to the new one compressed in gzip, hope this helps.

EDIT:- just rechecked, on the re-compressed Gzip all you have to do is add the original 8 bytes back into the file (the ones removed so we can decompress) and it should work (providing you also compressed the same way i did in the video above) so just make sure that when you use the command line Gzip you use
gzip -9 -n file
to compress the file (never use the 7zip gzip for this) then add the original 8 bytes back, this works for me (also when i added it into CDmage i also said YES to zero bytes when replacing)
« Last Edit: 2012-07-26 09:04:04 by kranmer »

Lazy Bastard

• View Profile
    • GameHacking.org
« Reply #30 on: 2012-07-26 12:45:42 »
Quote from: Cyberman
Grab the command line gzip and make sure to use the proper options (should be a couple flags, IIRC) to exclude unwanted stuff from the header.
Quote from: kranmer
so just make sure that when you use the command line Gzip you use
gzip -9 -n file
to compress the file (never use the 7zip gzip for this) then add the original 8 bytes back, this works for me (also when i added it into CDmage i also said YES to zero bytes when replacing)

Yep, those gzip flags (-9 -n) did the trick :)  I was already adding the 8-byte header back at the end (I mean, the end of the process...beginning of the file, heh), but apparently my gzip process was adding extra crap. Thanks.

I was able to recompress and run with an emulator without issue...however, the edits I attempted resulted in my getting a black screen and a repeating FF7 Error sound, when I chose NEW GAME. No matter, this just means I need to go back and check my work. And really, I have no need for editing FIELD.BIN quite yet...I just want the capability so that when the time comes, I can do so. Also, pointing FIELD.BIN directly to the first FIELD\*.DAT file I want to load, rather than hacking the first naturally-loaded one (MD1STIN.DAT) should be slightly faster, and much more correct...not that it would really matter.

Well, off to work. Thanks again for the help :)
« Last Edit: 2012-07-26 12:48:09 by Lazy Bastard »

Jenova's Witness

• Right Wing Safety Squads
  • I ♥ SCIENCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2012-07-26 18:46:42 »
« Last Edit: 2015-11-16 09:59:58 by Jenova's Witness »

Lazy Bastard

• View Profile
    • GameHacking.org
« Reply #32 on: 2012-07-27 14:48:26 »
Jenova's Witness: Yep; I've seen the Python docs on gzip. Also, before you posted that, you and Gemini had exactly the same number of posts  :-o

Just an FYI for those interested: as far as I can tell, replacing the value of one field's LBA in FIELD.BIN with that of another field doesn't allow you to 'trick' FIELD.BIN into loading the field you want. Something seems to go wrong, and you just end up with a black screen and a repeated FF7 error sound. I've also tried replacing the LBA values for all three field files per field (.BSX, .MIM, and .DAT), to no avail.

This could be because FIELD.BIN isn't just choosing a file to load, but passing it arguments, etc...some of which may not make sense relative to a different field. I haven't been able to identify the exact cause yet, but I do know this: if I'm able to cause it to error out by changing the value of a field's LBA in FIELD.BIN, and it only errors out when I edit the field that's about to be loaded, that would imply that FIELD.BIN at least references that value before loading a field. Therefore, I'm on the right track toward modifying which field is loaded. In any case, jumping straight from MD1STIN.DAT to the field I really wish to load (using Makou Reactor or Hack7) isn't a huge problem, as long as I never want to use MD1STIN.DAT legitimately...and even if I do, I can always jam in a variable and If/Else to determine whether a new game has just been launched or not.

OK, back to work on that prequel mod, unless someone has something else to add.
« Last Edit: 2012-07-27 14:51:37 by Lazy Bastard »

Micky

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2012-07-30 07:18:27 »
I think field.bin stores both position and size... it has been ages since I looked at it, though. You could try to match the whole table of position/size against the disc image and the directory to confirm.

lasyan3

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2012-07-30 20:22:31 »
I think field.bin stores both position and size...
That's right.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2012-07-31 00:43:56 »
That's right.
It's been eons since I've fiddled with this stuff.

Just don't have as much time as I use to.. Anyhow haven't seen you in a while.

FF7 may be doing a check to see if the data is correct when extracted. As the others have noted there is a size field as well as the LBA. If the size doesn't exactly match the real file size this will indicate it could be the uncompressed size.  I don't remember which too be honest it's been quite a while.

I suggest you verify what lasyan3 and  Mickey said by being sure you change the size information too match the new location.

It may be helpful to create a tool to read the table data and allow you to swap the data around with LBA and size information together.

So looking at it logically the table is 6 x N locations (6 columns N locations for rows)
IE
LBA | SIZE | LBA | SIZE | LBA SIZE

If you want to swap the data or have a row point to another location it's probably a good idea to swap the whole row or change the whole row (6 values instead of 3).

I don't remember anything about data checks such as CRC's etc. for the files, for all I remember there may be.

I can't remember where the size data is however, I'm so tired these days it's sad :D

Cyb