Author Topic: Black Mesa coming Sept 14  (Read 33048 times)

BloodShot

• View Profile
Black Mesa coming Sept 14
« on: 2012-06-11 19:50:47 »
Anybody who follows black mesa in any way, shape or form, knows they haven't had any new or significant media in a while, and would also know from the devs that upon preparation for release, when the mod was close enough to being finished that they could confidently give a release date and have no trouble making it, they would forgo the blackout and start releasing different types of media over the course of a couple of weeks to prepare for the mod's release.

They just started it:

https://www.facebook.com/BlackMesaDevs

Thank you all so much, it's really great to have your support! With your help we have now kicked off our social-media campaign towards our first release! You can expect more updates from us in the near future. Today we are sharing this fantastic batch of screenshots that really gives you the first glimpse into the gameplay of Black Mesa. This is just the beginning. We have more in store for you in the near future! Hold on to your lab coats!

Here is comparisons between HL1 and BM
http://forums.blackmesasource.com/showpost.php?p=464764&postcount=477

For those who don't know, BM is a mod for any source-based game (it's free, all you need to do is install source SDK base which is free with a steam account) that re-imagines the original Half-Life game for if it were made with current tech.
« Last Edit: 2012-06-12 20:42:36 by BloodShot »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: Black Mesa 2012 media - prepping for release
« Reply #1 on: 2012-06-11 20:34:16 »
That is so freakin' awesome! I'd almost given up on them since they stopped updating completely. Here's hoping they'll finally make a release date.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #2 on: 2012-06-11 20:57:52 »
For those who don't know, BM is a mod for any source-based game (it's free, all you need to do is install a source game, like TF2) that re-imagines the original Half-Life game for if it were made with current tech.

Haha... very interesting... I'm following cinematic mod for HL2. Can you please explain "mod for any source-based game" with simple words... I'm not sure if I'm thinking right... Can we use it for other games too or just to adjust the HL game in any source-based game's engine?  :|

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-06-11 22:19:15 »
Screenshots are cool, but I'm more excited to see something with voice acting on it. The guy they got playing Barney is simply spectacular.

Haha... very interesting... I'm following cinematic mod for HL2. Can you please explain "mod for any source-based game" with simple words... I'm not sure if I'm thinking right... Can we use it for other games too or just to adjust the HL game in any source-based game's engine?  :|
It's a remake of Half-Life, but you need to have a Source Engine game installed in order to play it. This is no mere mod, it's such an extensive mod that it's almost a mere game.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-06-11 23:21:57 »

By that it means that all you need is one "Source" engine game on your account. HL2, or CSS, or TF2, Portal, etc. all run on the "Source" engine. So if all you have is Portal, then technically you can play it - or if you download TF2, you can play it as well.

Also, VALVe made the "Source SDK" free for anyone to use, and since it runs on that, maybe that's all you need to install? Not quite sure of the details except for the fact that it's a mod, and it's free.

More screens (recent):

EDIT: Here's the link explaining how it's free http://wiki.blackmesasource.com/System_Requirements
« Last Edit: 2012-06-11 23:27:43 by BloodShot »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-06-12 01:38:19 »
Good, I nearly got Orange Box a few years ago to play Half Life, but then came across this and decided to wait.  Very happy to see my wait was not in vain.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-06-12 03:02:12 »
Are you talking about HL1? (if you are it doesn't come with OB) I do suggest you play the original, whether it's before or after you play this, because you will probably appreciate the changes a lot more (it's not a 1:1 remake, they are changing a lot of things to make more sense story-wise and be more enjoyable)

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #7 on: 2012-06-12 12:24:53 »
...I do suggest you play the original...
I have finished it years ago though I don't quite remember the ending but I remember I was amazed by the story. After I finish some games to free up space I'm thinking of installing HL2 with the cinematic mod. If I do can I install BM when it'll be out? Is it compatible?
« Last Edit: 2012-06-12 20:00:04 by Leonhart7413 »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012-06-12 15:39:43 »
If you have any Source Engine game already installed (except for maybe the Left 4 Dead series, since their engine is significantly modified), it'll work. As far as I know, it won't replace the game either, it'll appear as a separate item in Steam.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012-06-12 20:43:42 »
Actually I was wrong. Valve released the Source SDK as free to use and install - so you install Source SDK base on your account from the tools tab in steam and you can play, so you don't actually need a source game installed to play it, just the SDK :)

CyberPirate

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2012-06-13 21:17:06 »
I've been waiting so long for this game, it's gonna be awesome when it gets released :)

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2012-06-14 00:27:00 »
Here's some extra stuff that might be of interest

Here's a screenshot of one of the prototyping HUDs they made before the current, unrevealed HUD, as well as the "new" mp5 model

Also young ELI

And another MP5 shot on Surface Tension

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #12 on: 2012-06-17 16:51:24 »
WHAT WILL I NEED IN ORDER TO PLAY?

The only requirement to play Black Mesa will be that you own any Source Engine game on Steam. For a detailed list see here.

Doesn't that mean that if we have HL2 ep2 installed we will be able to play Black Mesa?
« Last Edit: 2012-06-17 20:42:22 by Leonhart7413 »

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2012-06-17 20:14:32 »
Nothing, read my post above. I looked through the forums. All you need to do when it comes out is create a steam account, and go to the tools tab, and download Source SDK base 2007. That's it :)

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 2012-06-17 20:56:04 »
You could also install Team Fortress 2 (it's free to play now), but that might be a larger download than the SDK with all the additional content and 9,003 hats.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #15 on: 2012-06-17 21:32:25 »
I'm on steam... can you send me a link? I searched but results come up only with games.

Ok I found it through the steam process... So I will only able  to play through steam?

Ok I run the SDK demo... I hope we can play without the steam process running in the background...
« Last Edit: 2012-06-17 22:56:30 by Leonhart7413 »

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2012-06-18 07:16:40 »
Alright.  I'm going to be very blunt, and put it as simply as possible, in the hopes that you will somehow manage to put this together.

Black Mesa Source, is a modification to Source engine games.  However, the changes are so vast, as it is an attempt at a remake of Half Life, it is more akin to being it's own game.

If you own ANY source engine game, such as Half Life 2, Team Fortress 2, Portal, Half Life 2 Episodes 1 & 2, and so on.  You will be able to install and play Black Mesa Source.

If you do not own any source engine game, you can download and install the Source SDK, and play Black Mesa Source.

This means, that no matter what, if you have a computer that meets the minimum specifications to play Black Mesa Source, you can play.

If you cannot understand it at this point, then I cannot help you, and I advise you seek the nearest assisted living center.
« Last Edit: 2012-06-18 07:21:28 by Hermóðr »

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2012-06-18 19:12:31 »
Regardless, you will need Steam installed and running to play, since the Source SDK(and every other Valve product since Steam's creation) requires it, it'll only use a small amount of resources while running, even less when it's minimised to the tray,  I have 8GB of RAM and for me it's using 160MB right now with most of the Steam windows open, it uses about 30MB while in the tray, although it varies dependant on other factors.

Cupcake

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2012-06-18 20:52:03 »
Regardless, you will need Steam installed and running to play, since the Source SDK(and every other Valve product since Steam's creation) requires it, it'll only use a small amount of resources while running, even less when it's minimized to the tray,  I have 8GB of RAM and for me it's using 160MB right now with most of the Steam windows open, it uses about 30MB while in the tray, although it varies dependent on other factors.

I have 1GB of RAM, and it doesn't cause me any issues.  My theory is just that leonhart7413 is just functionally disabled and doesn't quite understand how these things work.

Oh, before I forget, I corrected your spelling errors.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #19 on: 2012-06-18 21:04:17 »
My theory is just that leonhart7413 is just functionally disabled and doesn't quite understand how these things work.

Hey, I understood what is written in the official page, that if we have any of the games listed installed we can run the mod. I suppose that the fact that SDK sourse is already included after installing the game is taken for granted. What I didn't get is why should we use steam for that... since we already run HL2 which will include SDK...
« Last Edit: 2012-06-18 21:11:07 by Leonhart7413 »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2012-06-18 21:29:33 »
What I didn't get is why should we use steam for that... since we already run HL2 which will include SDK...
Because Half-Life 2 also requires Steam to be running. Whether you use the SDK, or any Source engine game, they all require Steam. There's no way around it.

Cupcake

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2012-06-18 21:34:26 »
Hey, I understood what is written in the official page, that if we have any of the games listed installed we can run the mod. I suppose that the fact that SDK sourse is already included after installing the game is taken for granted. What I didn't get is why should we use steam for that... since we already run HL2 which will include SDK...

You CLEARLY didn't understand what was written on the page, considering you can't spell source, and didn't realize you needed Steam.  Also, if you didn't know that Half Life 2 requires Steam to be running (and that's the way it has been since day one), you either A) Pirated the game or B) Are functionally disabled.  I'm willing to bet it's a bit of an amalgamation of both.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #22 on: 2012-06-19 02:11:54 »
I have Half Life 2 in an orange box collection disk for PC. i didn't know it required steam to play since I haven't installed it yet... When I played HL1 back in my old days it didn't need any of these crap that all new age piece of sh*t are nowadays require on line connection and crap... Instead of criticizing maybe you should think about that you are a part of those who accept these crap...

A) Pirated the game

Oook... Judge Dredd...whatever...

B) Are functionally disabled.

I can become your therapist if you wish...
« Last Edit: 2012-06-19 03:36:42 by Leonhart7413 »

saftle

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2012-06-19 10:47:31 »
I have Half Life 2 in an orange box collection disk for PC. i didn't know it required steam to play since I haven't installed it yet... When I played HL1 back in my old days it didn't need any of these crap that all new age piece of sh*t are nowadays require on line connection and crap...

I think Steam is an awesome piece of software to be honest. Normally, I would be against any form of DRM when there are other digital alternatives (GOG for example).

I have gotten to the point that I won't buy a game unless there is a Steam version. If there isn't a Steam version, I wait until it comes out on Steam before I even allow myself to play it. FF7 and Minecraft are a few exceptions where I spent the money even though they probably won't release a Steam version. However, I still put forth the effort in attaching it as a Shortcut in Steam; so that my friends can see "Saftle is now playing Final Fantasy VII."

I used to pirate games. Steam is the only thing that won me over and they did a great job in doing so. I wait until I have the money to buy games on Steam now, or while waiting, the game ends up going on sale for 50%-80% off through Steam.

The Community, Steam Workshop, Voice Chat etc, are also other reasons why I won't ever switch back to pirating or any other digital platform.

Also, you do not need to be online. Only one time is needed to authenticate, and then you can just switch it to offline mode.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: 2012-06-19 12:26:05 »
Now, now, everyone. Play nicely.