Author Topic: Midgar Remake  (Read 223648 times)

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
Re: Midgar Remake
« Reply #225 on: 2012-06-02 13:46:37 »
start with the wide shot :P

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: 2012-06-06 21:23:57 »
As for Saphire...I don't really know what happened to him, seemed to have had some computer problems, and after that I've never heard anything anymore.
As for Tempus..just found out he stopped...
development-indefinitely-ceased

Well considering what happened to Chrono Resurrection it is very likely that can happen. I believe they were 40% done when they got C & D'd.

Cyb

Roxas

• View Profile
    • ReBoot Revival
« Reply #227 on: 2012-06-08 04:35:56 »
As for Saphire...I don't really know what happened to him, seemed to have had some computer problems, and after that I've never heard anything anymore.

Not sure myself either... left him a message on facebook a few days ago, yet to hear back.

Always blown away by the modeling work done on Midgar. Hope we'll see one of these in-game.... one day.

Killerx20

• Shin-Ra Electric Power Company
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #228 on: 2012-06-08 05:25:30 »
I'm going to post a picture of Sector 6 after its done rendering.. No matter what it looks like so brace yourselves, it could be bad hahaha

Ok, here they are

« Last Edit: 2012-06-08 07:47:36 by Killerx20 »

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: 2012-06-08 23:50:54 »
Nice, reminds me of the Midgar model in the square building (or where ever it may be these days).  :roll:
I'm curious, can you post a wireframe?

PS, I'm always in for a joined venture... which engine did you have in mind?
oh and dx11 is a bit out of scope for me, unfortunately... my laptop is kind of...errr...ancient ???
 8)

Killerx20

• View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #230 on: 2012-06-09 03:57:37 »
Nice, reminds me of the Midgar model in the square building (or where ever it may be these days).  :roll:
I'm curious, can you post a wireframe?

PS, I'm always in for a joined venture... which engine did you have in mind?
oh and dx11 is a bit out of scope for me, unfortunately... my laptop is kind of...errr...ancient ???
 8)
Yeah it does look a bit like the real model, I wanted that effect for sector 6 to give it that under construction feeling.
Here is the wireframe picture you asked for, a bit messy.

And heres another from sector 6

As for an engine I dont really know. I like the fallout 3 / New Vegas engine because it is an open world but also Crysis is nice too but not as free as Fallout.
My comp is pretty lame as well, I'm only running on a core 2 duo at 1.86ghz haha

Killerx20

• View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #231 on: 2012-06-14 03:10:04 »
Does anybody have the full background picture for the first mission in FF7 on the bridge in front of the reactor? I need the entire background for I am modeling the pipes on the walls.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: 2012-06-14 04:18:25 »
Does anybody have the full background picture for the first mission in FF7 on the bridge in front of the reactor? I need the entire background for I am modeling the pipes on the walls.

I do believe Palmer can extract the scene from the flevel.lgp

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8450.msg178358#msg178358

Killerx20

• View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #233 on: 2012-06-14 05:29:20 »
I do believe Palmer can extract the scene from the flevel.lgp

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8450.msg178358#msg178358
Thanks that worked perfectly

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: 2012-06-14 15:24:28 »
Killerx20, yer giving me hype. Semester is done in a few days, I might even get some ff7 work crammed out!

neomonkeus

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: 2012-06-15 00:29:27 »
Well considering what happened to Chrono Resurrection it is very likely that can happen. I believe they were 40% done when they got C & D'd.

Cyb
Heyo,

Just to clarify about the MakoDawn project. Tempus reached out to Square in good faith but since he hadn't heard anything back from them in reasonable time he had occupied himself with other projects.

Anywho, I am acting as custodian of the project until such time someone wants to begin developing or I am in a position to start it up myself. I have no problem letting the project remain in statis.

Anyways the reason I bring it up is due to Killerx20 wish to bring his version of midgar to Fo3/NV. If there is any interest in project, there are numerous assets available for use, hosted space and forums already setup. Tempus is currently packaging all remaining assets which will be freely available for use which I am sure will benefit the various projects here too.

Neo.

@Killerx20 : Glad to see that you kept working on your Midgar model.

Killerx20

• View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #236 on: 2012-06-15 00:45:36 »
Heyo,

Just to clarify about the MakoDawn project. Tempus reached out to Square in good faith but since he hadn't heard anything back from them in reasonable time he had occupied himself with other projects.

Anywho, I am acting as custodian of the project until such time someone wants to begin developing or I am in a position to start it up myself. I have no problem letting the project remain in statis.

Anyways the reason I bring it up is due to Killerx20 wish to bring his version of midgar to Fo3/NV. If there is any interest in project, there are numerous assets available for use, hosted space and forums already setup. Tempus is currently packaging all remaining assets which will be freely available for use which I am sure will benefit the various projects here too.

Neo.

@Killerx20 : Glad to see that you kept working on your Midgar model.
Long time no see neo, it sucks that the mod stopped being worked on. What ever happened to shinrasoldier3? Oh and I only just started working on Midgar again recently hahah
BTW here are the new renders I just made. Some bumpmapping needs to be tweaked and various other things but there is so much do to..
To start off, I added lots of little detail around the plates and plate walls

I have also added the pipes that come from the reactor bridges

And finally a shot from the tower

neomonkeus

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: 2012-06-15 01:06:23 »
Long time no see is right.  :P Mainly been keeping busy with working on the Blender nif plugin aswell as RL things. I just now see the project as more long term.  :P

I was looking at the wireframe render but its not triangulated, understandably for clarity, but are you planning on optimising the model for use in a 3d engine?

Also what scale are you working to, this seems to be larger that the ff7 version but smaller than the real life model.
« Last Edit: 2012-06-15 01:08:16 by neomonkeus »

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: 2012-06-15 01:43:12 »
For a game engine I'd remodel the entire city and bake off the highrez to texture it - you'll get a very sexy very smooth running gig with that.

neomonkeus

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: 2012-06-15 02:23:28 »
You should do it ;) Very few modders out there who know how to model know how to do low-res model normal map baking, let alone how to do it properly and those that do rarely have an interest in doing such a large scale model.

Killerx20

• View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #240 on: 2012-06-15 02:24:43 »
Long time no see is right.  :P Mainly been keeping busy with working on the Blender nif plugin aswell as RL things. I just now see the project as more long term.  :P

I was looking at the wireframe render but its not triangulated, understandably for clarity, but are you planning on optimising the model for use in a 3d engine?

Also what scale are you working to, this seems to be larger that the ff7 version but smaller than the real life model.
Unfortunately I cant optimize anything that has to do with the reactors, that is due to me not modeling in 3ds max and using gtk instead. Somebody else would have to do the optimization or I would have to learn how to model in 3ds. Oh and the scale... Hm the scale might be closer to FF7 then the real model. The real model is based off of advent children from what I see in terms of scale, super huge.
For a game engine I'd remodel the entire city and bake off the highrez to texture it - you'll get a very sexy very smooth running gig with that.
As for baking I have heard the term but have no idea what it does or how to do it.. And most likely wouldn't be able to do it with my lack of knowledge in 3ds.

It sucks that the tool I use to make all this isn't meant for modeling but actually meant to create game maps for quake 3 HAH, so there is a huge loss in what I can do but I do push what I use to its limits.
« Last Edit: 2012-06-15 02:29:46 by Killerx20 »

neomonkeus

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: 2012-06-15 02:33:21 »
Normal map baking is basically you make a really high detailed model, couple of billion polys; retopo a version of the model to be more optimised/low poly then you bake the details from the high res version as a normal map applied to the lower res version.

Never realised you were a linux head :P

Killerx20

• View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #242 on: 2012-06-15 02:40:24 »
Retopology? Hm, is there such thing as a automatic one? like it scans your object and creates a duplicate just in lower poly form or triangulates it better?
I have tried to make the reactors lower poly but its pretty much impossible for gtk, and I don't know a thing about max so I cant do it that way.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: 2012-06-15 02:42:17 »
When yer done the city i'll help you out with that. Also, before you fill up the city, plan out yer roads etc on a topview :P

Killerx20

• View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #244 on: 2012-06-15 02:48:16 »
When yer done the city i'll help you out with that. Also, before you fill up the city, plan out yer roads etc on a topview :P
Well actually, I started to model the plate a while ago.. Just never really got into detail on it since I was still adding all the other stuff. It has serious scaling issues and low detail so it needs a lot of work but here are the two renders I made a while ago.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: 2012-06-15 02:50:10 »
decent layout, sector 1/8 have something to work from, but most dont. However I'd maintain yer road structure throughout. Keep it up.

neomonkeus

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: 2012-06-15 03:02:46 »
Well all my work is really working with Blender so I don't know anything about Max. Blender offers alot of tools and specifically for doing retopo it allows you to make a mesh over the exisiting mesh so it is pretty simple and fast once you get into it.

Was just looking at some images from neon-garuth's model. Are you planning on including highways/overpass too? Think his version is about halfway between FF7 and the RL model, perhaps something to consider.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: 2012-06-15 03:14:14 »
Mother of god...

Killerx20

• View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #248 on: 2012-06-15 03:31:38 »
Well all my work is really working with Blender so I don't know anything about Max. Blender offers alot of tools and specifically for doing retopo it allows you to make a mesh over the exisiting mesh so it is pretty simple and fast once you get into it.

Was just looking at some images from neon-garuth's model. Are you planning on including highways/overpass too? Think his version is about halfway between FF7 and the RL model, perhaps something to consider.
Not  sure that gtk can handle the curves a highway does, I'll have to find out.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: 2012-06-15 04:11:43 »
While some of blender's tools are useful for retopo, in most cases I'd stick to custom work. Until the highrez is ready though, don't fret on it.