Author Topic: Midgar Remake  (Read 223637 times)

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
Re: Midgar Remake
« Reply #250 on: 2012-06-15 08:10:09 »
decent layout, sector 1/8 have something to work from, but most dont. However I'd maintain yer road structure throughout. Keep it up.
according to the in game movies, and a lot of other references I have, most other sectors are just copies, so pretty much the same assets on all sectors.

As for scaling, the way I used my scale (which proved to be a lot bigger then saphires, or Tempus') is based on the data retrieved from the intro movie. I've extracted the animation data together with the walkmeshes. The scale from the movie data is larger then the actual in-game walkmesh, so I've lined them up and scaled up the walkmeshes accordingly, that's how I've matched all game scenes within Midgar to the same scale.

See this for the animation data reference
and for a walkmesh sample:here

as for renders, I've been working on the sector 8 part, mainly trying to recreate some hard to find assets....
The billboards...

If there are any photoshop wizards lurking around....Perhaps anyone would like to create some poster being used in Midgar, we can put them in the model...any help is appreciated

8-)

neomonkeus

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: 2012-06-15 12:26:28 »
The whole scale thing was more a general question as was hard to guage without a reference point, even with the layout. Alot of the time it does depend on the source material, I have always been using the psx version, whereas I assume you guys have been using the PC version. Anyways, I have done lots of discussion about scale and relative scale, so I don't want to clutter the thread.

@Timu, the retopo too is not an automagic feature, you need to build the mesh up, the main advantage is how it works. You apply the verts directly to the surface of the underlying mesh. If you add lots of faces or bad topology then you will still have a s*&t mesh.

As for what Timu said, I would not worry about low-res or anything to do with retopo.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: 2012-06-15 15:24:37 »
Made this years ago for noen, perhaps you can slap it in somewhere.

Bonus XP if you know the reference.

I had a work in prog of the loveless poster, but I'd likely just restart it.

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: 2012-06-15 17:11:40 »
The whole scale thing was more a general question as was hard to guage without a reference point, even with the layout. Alot of the time it does depend on the source material, I have always been using the psx version, whereas I assume you guys have been using the PC version. Anyways, I have done lots of discussion about scale and relative scale, so I don't want to clutter the thread.

My main source is the psx version.
For 'Real-scale'.... I just match the backgrounds of the field files, based on the walkmesh, so there is not a real reference to for instance Aerith being 1.63m....
Scaling will become an issue when porting to a game engine, no matter which one, but that will depend on the engine of course.

@Timu:  .....五台山...?  :roll:
keep em comming, nice add.
anything you stick or paint on walls are welcome.
 8-)

Killerx20

• Shin-Ra Electric Power Company
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #254 on: 2012-06-15 17:27:37 »
I based my scale off of how tall you stand in the shinra tower compared to the doorways and walls pretty much. I did manage to optimize my reactor after all but now it has some really slight texture issues go figure.
At least I managed to knock it from 45000 polys to 19000, not bad eh?
Before

After

Not that bad right?
Made this years ago for noen, perhaps you can slap it in somewhere.

Bonus XP if you know the reference.

I had a work in prog of the loveless poster, but I'd likely just restart it.
You worked with Noen??

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: 2012-06-15 17:33:08 »
Back when I was learning 3d modeling I attempted to make characters as his model was theoretically gonna end up in crysis 1... AFAIK he's left his model alone for years now.

Also:
http://www.thaiexpress.ca/

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: 2012-06-15 17:49:19 »
I based my scale off of how tall you stand in the shinra tower compared to the doorways and walls pretty much. I did manage to optimize my reactor after all but now it has some really slight texture issues go figure.
At least I managed to knock it from 45000 polys to 19000, not bad eh?

still quite a lot, just checked my reactor:
Polys: 3.571
Tris:   6.334
Verts: 3446

Killerx20

• View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #257 on: 2012-06-15 17:50:05 »
Back when I was learning 3d modeling I attempted to make characters as his model was theoretically gonna end up in crysis 1... AFAIK he's left his model alone for years now.

Also:
http://www.thaiexpress.ca/
Yeah I know Noen, we talked about midgar and stuff a lot in the past. I talked to him recently and he said hes not working on his model because he doesn't have the motivation to do it, I can understand why though. It sucks that its almost been forgotten about, it would have been cool to explore it.

Oh and I managed to get the polys down even further to 7000

Killerx20

• View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #258 on: 2012-06-15 19:08:51 »
still quite a lot, just checked my reactor:
Polys: 3.571
Tris:   6.334
Verts: 3446
Can you do a render of the reactor? I'd like to see how detailed it is for 3500 polys

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: 2012-06-15 21:29:35 »
Had to do a bit of searching, for the right version....
(and after rendering I've noticed some elements are still missing)

and some texturing started...

8-)

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: 2012-06-15 21:56:24 »
Here the wires and missing components in the previous render.
(Rear exhausts, and the entrance, the walkbridge in front, I don't consider it being a part of the reactor)

So it's more like 4500 polys.  ???

8)

Killerx20

• View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #261 on: 2012-06-15 22:47:23 »
Here the wires and missing components in the previous render.
(Rear exhausts, and the entrance, the walkbridge in front, I don't consider it being a part of the reactor)

So it's more like 4500 polys.  ???

8)
I see how yours is low poly now, it looks good though. I'll post a new render up after I get back home. I really cleaned a lot up and stuff but it still needs more optimization.

neomonkeus

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: 2012-06-16 02:01:56 »
Yeah I know Noen, we talked about midgar and stuff a lot in the past. I talked to him recently and he said hes not working on his model because he doesn't have the motivation to do it, I can understand why though. It sucks that its almost been forgotten about, it would have been cool to explore it.

Oh and I managed to get the polys down even further to 7000

Awe that is a bit sad, his model was amazing. I certainly have not forgotten :P Although I never had contact with him, I heard that he didn't want to share his model. I agree I would have loved to explore it too.

Just for reference, Tempus' model as a whole is about 8-9k tris IIRC but that is with alot of optimisations. I hope that my inquires haven't started a cascading effect of people worry about tri counts.  :-o

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: 2012-06-16 02:32:20 »
Talking about Midgar, remodeling and other modelers, do you know the guys who made this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71FVUv6H374

The face of Cloud model is better than most of the ones i've see in qhimm, at least better than the one made by Millenia.
Also Tifa is somewhat nicely modeled.

Killerx20

• View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #264 on: 2012-06-16 03:23:25 »
Talking about Midgar, remodeling and other modelers, do you know the guys who made this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71FVUv6H374

The face of Cloud model is better than most of the ones i've see in qhimm, at least better than the one made by Millenia.
Also Tifa is somewhat nicely modeled.
Oh yeah I remember that, some little team who was getting into working with the UDK wanted to show off what they could do, just a demo. Although their shinra tower model is wayyy far off of being correct looking and its facing the wrong way since that is the sector 1 train station the tower's back should be showing and not the front. It would have been nice if they continued on that project though as it would be nice to play it.

Awe that is a bit sad, his model was amazing. I certainly have not forgotten :P Although I never had contact with him, I heard that he didn't want to share his model. I agree I would have loved to explore it too.

Just for reference, Tempus' model as a whole is about 8-9k tris IIRC but that is with alot of optimisations. I hope that my inquires haven't started a cascading effect of people worry about tri counts.  :-o
I'm going to ask him what really happened and if he will ever release it. I can understand why he wouldn't want to share it though and he has told me in that past somethings why he wouldn't. BTW how is that resource pack coming? I may find some things in there useful

EDIT
Here is the final optimized reactor, I am happy with it. Going from 40,000 polys to 8,000 is good enough for me.

« Last Edit: 2012-06-16 04:59:13 by Killerx20 »

neomonkeus

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: 2012-06-16 16:16:39 »
All of the currently released stuff is over on moddb.com page but is released in nif form for Fallout.

The last release Tempus intends to release as part of the MakoDawn project will be a public release of all the resource files in an organised package. The reason for delay is probably because he has alot of stuff that needs to be sifted through and organised.

I know modellers/artists can have attachment to their stuff, I have been there and I am sure Neon has his own reason for not wanting to release it but its just really sad that we nobody gets to explore such a wonderful model. When I look at some of those screens from his port to the cry engine, defo sad panda. I had planned on contacting him but with my ties to the MakoDawn mod, I thought it might give the wrong impression.

Killerx20

• View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #266 on: 2012-06-16 18:41:29 »
All of the currently released stuff is over on moddb.com page but is released in nif form for Fallout.

The last release Tempus intends to release as part of the MakoDawn project will be a public release of all the resource files in an organised package. The reason for delay is probably because he has alot of stuff that needs to be sifted through and organised.

I know modellers/artists can have attachment to their stuff, I have been there and I am sure Neon has his own reason for not wanting to release it but its just really sad that we nobody gets to explore such a wonderful model. When I look at some of those screens from his port to the cry engine, defo sad panda. I had planned on contacting him but with my ties to the MakoDawn mod, I thought it might give the wrong impression.
I know I have an attachment to mine... it will be hard giving it away one day but its for the better right? Better then nothing ever happening to it.

neomonkeus

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: 2012-06-16 19:26:14 »
Absolutely, glad to hear that you plan on releasing it at some point. I would love to have a walk about in your one too. That said I am still guilty of holding onto my train model, though I think the original file was on my laptop which I think now has borked the harddrive too. A bit unfortunate but I have a nif version and so will complete that at some stage.

The most important one thing is that being ok with the fact that some projects are just going to be worked on when I will get around to them rather than trying to do everything at once.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: 2012-06-16 21:44:12 »
Yeah, that's the major problem i see most of the times; people making lovely models/mods and eventually the project dies an nothing from it is released, for different reasons (modelers not wanting to share their work, breaks on work and HDD goes kaput, etc). I've see a lot of good work in this part of qhimm forum, but most haven't seen day light.

Modelers tends to work here and there instead of focusing in just one piece and take it to the end, then they end with 10 models at 50%, and then the project dies and the models go to waste, it's a waste of valuable resources but we can't force anyone to do anything, after all they do this at free will. I know it's human nature to want to go at it all in a go, but modelers show discipline themselves with a step at a time.

TA was clever to do a "bombing mission" objective but as I see the steam they had, is gone.
Hoping for the best tho (release what they have atm or completion of the bombing mission).

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: 2012-06-16 23:00:09 »
I know I have an attachment to mine... it will be hard giving it away one day but its for the better right? Better then nothing ever happening to it.
I know that feeling.....
Especially when you consider the amount of hours which have been put in the modeling....
I had a nice discussion with Saphire about that...

If I'm correct, the Noen you guys are talking about is NoenGaruth?
I've got some renders of him in my reference files, that was one of the reasons of starting on Midgar, as the first scenes did not make much sence.... ???  :-P

As for the polys, I don't really care about it for now, I know some scenes will have a poly count going through the roof. The only thing where I'm currently going for is highly detailed renders.
In the mean time, I try to keep it all as low as possible to speed up render times.

Putting it into a render engine will be something completely different. The models have to become more modularised anyway, and textures will have to be redone, as my renderer works a bit different than most renderers. Also the polycount will be lowered by baking. Lights have to be changed, etc, etc.
It would be fun to turn them into Ogre scenes though, putting it into Akari's engine (Q-gears that is). :)
 8)

neomonkeus

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: 2012-06-17 14:10:52 »
That was one of the reason the latest iteration of the mod had timed releases, so even if the mod stopped, there would be some content out there. I was talking to Tempus and he is pretty far along with getting the source release done, just needs to redo some uv's on some models. I will continue to pester him until he does :P

Yep, Neon was referring to Neon-Garuth, think he goes by another name now.*swears I am not a stalker* I have his photobucket bookmarked just for those occasions where I need to look at the pretty eye candy, though versions by killerx20 and Saphire are equally in their own right. I just think I prefer the scale/scope he used as it included the high-ways but was still of a reasonable scale between ff7 and comp.

Yeah for you guys tri count is something you shouldn't be bothered with as you will be rendering them out anyways, though keeping it clean also reduces render time.

I have been pottering about the forums for a while stuff about the Q-gears wasn't visible until registration. Seems like an interesting project. Pretty cool if you do port some of the models into the scene. I am equally impressed by he level of detail that you guys take with being faithful to the original  data. Cookies for everyone :D

Sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: 2012-06-20 02:33:39 »
Oh wow I have missed so much! I have returned once again!!

My reactors still need some work to them too, IMO they're the most difficult pieces of geometry i've had to deal with, though i'm quite delighted to see i'm not the only one needing several versions and minor ajustments and optimisations here ;3.

I'm gonna continue work on it ASAP!

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: 2012-06-20 04:27:37 »
zomg so many midgar modelers in one thread

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: 2012-06-20 14:45:26 »
Join forces?

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: 2012-06-20 15:22:23 »
This is exciting, i hope you guys are splitting. Up the work so no person is working on the same thing.